M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all I've read about differant mods being done to the M109R and all the talk about factory fuel settings being lean and the mods making the bike run even more lean; Perhaps My first mod should be an FI module. After many hours of surfing I think I like the Techlusion best. Mostly because of price. I belive Techlusion also makes the Cobra FI2000. So why not buy the Techlusion. Am I wrong doing this as my first mod? And should my first mod be the Techlusion?

Love this site,
red1951man

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Makes sense. But is there not a chance that engine damage could happen from running on factory fuel settings with a modified intake and exhaust?

red1951man

·
Registered
849 Posts
Of course, it;s possible that engine damage might occur if you modify your bike in a way that makes it run leaner. The point made previously by ppridgen1 though which you seem to agree with is why worry about air fuel ratios until you start making other changes.

red1951man said:
Makes sense. But is there not a chance that engine damage could happen from running on factory fuel settings with a modified intake and exhaust?

red1951man

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would probably put on th JSD-3m Mod first because of how it tames the throttle in the lower gears and it does,nt cost a fortune. Save the FI module until you are prepaired to put on an Air Kit or Pipes.JMO :bigthumbsup: :p :joke:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
techlusion is junk. add a few bucks and get the fi2000r now or wait for a power commander. just my $.02.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sorry, there is just a single winner... and yes I know it's not out yet, but do listen to someone who has spent the last 5 years tuning bikes on all kinds........

Cobra: (you want to buy something from someone that say f/i and main just in same phrase????????
Two adjustable dials (pods) and circuitry in the control unit (1) define the breakpoint between cruise and “main-jet” RPM, (2) the length of time and magnitude for auxiliary transitional enrichment. (two adjustments)

TFI:
Can only add fuel (3 adjustments)

PC3:
Full adjust ment from 0-7500 rpm in 500 rpm increments, at 0,2,5,10,20,40,60,80,100% throttle positions....

·
Registered
752 Posts
jeffw said:
Sorry, there is just a single winner... and yes I know it's not out yet, but do listen to someone who has spent the last 5 years tuning bikes on all kinds........

Cobra: (you want to buy something from someone that say f/i and main just in same phrase????????
Two adjustable dials (pods) and circuitry in the control unit (1) define the breakpoint between cruise and “main-jet” RPM, (2) the length of time and magnitude for auxiliary transitional enrichment. (two adjustments)

TFI:
Can only add fuel (3 adjustments)

PC3:
Full adjust ment from 0-7500 rpm in 500 rpm increments, at 0,2,5,10,20,40,60,80,100% throttle positions....
When it's out that's where my money is going.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I am really confused about what mods to do first. I looked at the JSD-3m. All that does is advance the timing in the lower gears for better throttle responce. I may be getting old (55) but it seems to me the M109R already has too much throttle responce in the lower gears. I need to feather the throttle in 1st and 2nd at slow speeds just so the bike won't try to jump out from under me. I've read about others having to do the same. Others FI mods(Corba, Techlusion, etc) just add fuel. PC3 Sounds cool but it's not available yet.

As far as where to start with the mods; I think I'll lay back awhile and see what else comes down the pipeline.

I do have the Hellcat windshield on order though. That's not a mod it's just common sense.
Windshield now - Mods later. All comments and suggestions truly are appreciated.

Still love this site.
red1951man

·
Registered
961 Posts
JR,

I don't have the pipes, but I did the filter and JSD-3M mod. I ran it with the stock settings and it was way too rich (a lot of bogging). I changed the default settings all to 0 and started from there. After riding and testing I came up with these settings; the green is 1 1/2 and yellow to 2 and red to 0. I don't have a dyno available and I don't think that Cobra has data logging for the FI2000R, other than taking it to a track (high speed runs) and read the plugs. Any suggestions? It seems to running okay, I don't have the lean problem. I basically run on back roads and the bike seldom gets pass 4000 rpm in crusing. Can't afford any tickets!!! you know what I mean!! Have I exhausted my efforts of fine tuning without a dyno?

C-One

G

·
Go with the power commander....they do all the work for you!! No trips and dyno costs. Way less screwing around...more time on the road!! Plus they upgrade the settings on their site all the time for different applications and mods. You can cahnge it yourself via a USB port on the unit. All the settings are taken from a 109r on a dyno with various mods done to it. How much easier can it be. Spend the little extra $ and go with the Dynojet Power Commander. :bigthumbsup:2 wheels down....1 thumb up-HELL :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks JR, that is what I thought. The # 1 setting is twicky at 1.5 but I haven't had the popping in the filters either. I'll take it to 2 and see what happens. I did have it at 2.5 but it was rich. Thanks again, there's nothing like seat time.

C-One

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good Post JR - for those who don't want to read it all (JR didn't like to use paragraphs in that post :D )

Even with Maps that you can download, those aren't the best set up for your bike UNLESS

a) you live right next door to that bike and
b) you have the EXACT same parts - and
c) and even then, differences in breaking the engine in could cause different responses

Go to a dyno

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bluecruzer said:
Good Post JR - for those who don't want to read it all (JR didn't like to use paragraphs in that post :D )

Even with Maps that you can download, those aren't the best set up for your bike UNLESS

a) you live right next door to that bike and
b) you have the EXACT same parts - and
c) and even then, differences in breaking the engine in could cause different responses

Go to a dyno
exactly. downloads get you close. a custom map is the way to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts