M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I just came back from my first 400 mile stint and the bike is a real treat to ride.

We all agree that it looks good, so let's leave that  :D

What I really like is:

Engine, engine, engine...................it is just pure exitement from the go and until redline in 5th. Awesome power and it makes the 1100 Dragstar I use to own feel like a tram. Just fantastic and big props to Suzuki here  :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

The brakes. Very good stopping power and modulation. I have hard time believing there are any other cruiser around with such good brakes.......but I might be wrong.

Maybe they changed the position of the rear brake pedal, cause I can not see any problems on long trips with that. Very confortable for me(5"9') as it is and no need for any modification IMO

What I would like to improve:

Seat. Get a sore butt a little too fast. I see the Suzuki gel seat can be ordered in a full cut version, meaning 2 inches further back. Might be a solution. What you think guys?...................or am I better off going with Corbin/Jardin?
...........and does a rider back rest really make a diffrence?

Rear shock. I am a little amazed that such a great bike comes with such a crappy rear shock. It is really not much better than the one on the Dragstar, which I hated. Hitting sharper bumps sends shockwaves up my spine and I could also do without the pogoing motion in faster turns. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket solution here?
It's not that I can't live with how it is now, but it would be nice to have a more dampened and stable rear end.

That's about it.
As for mods I am not sure I will do much other than the seat, shock, a passenger backrest, JSD-3 and PCIII usb, but I can see myself getting very tempted to do some exhausts next year.

One maybe stupid question: My riding style see my heels drag in alsmost every corner. Are there any boots out there with any kind of heel cap slider?........................or is juts me that need to "slow down and smell the roses" :)

All in all I am very happy I got this bike. It's a good thing  :bigthumbsup:

PS! Would a PC III have any significant effect with the stock exhausts?

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
try adjusting the pre-load on the rear shock. It can be soft & cushy or bone jarring stiff. There are 7 levels of adjustment.

·
Registered
516 Posts
BlkM109r said:
try adjusting the pre-load on the rear shock. It can be soft & cushy or bone jarring stiff. There are 7 levels of adjustment.
+1 on that, I dropped mine all the way to "1" the pre-loader and she rides great for me.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Don't have the wrench yet! Any suggestions as to what to use to "get by"until I get it? :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Ron S said:
Don't have the wrench yet! Any suggestions as to what to use to "get by"until I get it? :dontknow:
The dealer should have one. Maybe they would let you use it in the parking lot to adjust the bike yourself. As for the seat, I have heard great things about the Gel seats from Suzuki, but at 5'9", I'm not sure you need the full cut one, but then again it would give you the option of sliding back some. I imagine the controls are already a slight stretch for you as they are for me at 5'11" with 31" inseam.

As for your heals dragging, what I do is just raise my heels a bit when entering sharper corners. Basically I just point my toes a bit on the peg. Then again, sometimes I like having that extra "feeler" aspect to let me know when I'm about to scrape. Once I feel my heel touch, I just start to raise it as mentioned so that it doesn't wear the boot too quickly. They are still wearing some though, but not much.

G

·
Very nice write up.. Thanks for your input... shock preload might be an issue with you, but that's why suzuki made spnner wrenches for, so you can spend the $$$ and buy them...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Zukfreak,
Try looking at tobinseats. He makes custom seats. He made mine and it is by far the best mod I have done to my bike for comfort(raising the handle bars was a close 2nd). He is really reasonable in his prices also. His website is www.tobinseats.com

·
Registered
190 Posts
WINGYS109 said:
Zukfreak,
       Try looking at tobinseats. He makes custom seats. He made mine and it is by far the best mod I have done to my bike for comfort(raising the handle bars was a close 2nd). He is really reasonable in his prices also. His website is www.tobinseats.comÂ
:nopic: :nopic:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Changing the seat could cure a lot of your concerns. I bought the gel seat for my Volusia a couple of years ago. It doesn't feel as 'cushy', but it does tend to take the sharpness out of the bumps and your butt doesn't go numb as quick. However, I would compare prices to aftermarket seats as I'm sure some of these other companies make better seats that Suzuki. Spending that kind of $$$, I would be tempted to step up to the Corbin with the passenger backrest.
I doubt if you would want to adjust the brake pedal at your height. Most of the guys on here that are doing that are 6'+ or have size 12+ shoes. I don't think you would need to do it, just feel it out and see if your foot is accidentally riding on the brake at all. It's a lot easier to adjust the pedal than have to change the brakes every couple thousand miles because you are riding them (not to mention possibly lower mileage and holding back some of the power of this monster).
One thing to think of when considering adjusting the suspension. Giving yourself a softer ride can give up some of the cornering ability. You really don't want it too soft if you tend to corner hard. Find what feels right to you.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
answer to your pcIII question=yes it will, i love it, but i punched holes in my baffles. i still think drivability goes way up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for feed back so far folks :bigthumbsup:

I am debating what to do with seat. might end up with Suzuki sine I then cann get it here in Korea and avoid over seas shipping.

If I can find an aftermarket shock I will do that.

Good news on The PCIII :D

Keep the comments coming

Cheers

-N

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I bought the seat. It rocks, period. I am sure you could spend more and get better, but then you always can.
I would not mind a better shock myself. I have almost never seen a case where the stock suspension in any vehicle could not be improved upon for your particular tastes.

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I wore out my favorite riding shoes heels. Now I'm being more careful with my new Frank Thomas boots.

The PCIII mod works well with the stock exhaust. You will notice better response.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I agree Zukfreak, I did a 400 miler a few weeks ago and my only complaint was the seat and that was towards the end of the ride my tailbone started hurting. the shock was ok for me once adjusted. a buddy has the corbin seat and I know it cost a lot but he said it was worth it. he was with me on the 400 mile ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts