M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here in Edmonton, or Canada, had major shudder on occasion when starting out in first gear? The first time it happened to me I thought the engine was going to fall out of the bike. This is a serious, and more importantly dangerous problem that has been happening with countless 109 owners in the States and Australia. If you search "shudder" or "bluey fix" you can read for hours about it. It all boils down to the springs in the clutch being poor quality. For all my reading, I haven't found anywhere that Suzuki is owning up to the problem and fixing it, or making it a legit recall. I can only assume I'm not the only one who feels this way. What can we do to get this fixed?

Shannon "FiremanFunston"

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Many posts on this but not all bikes affected....mine has never done that..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
No issues with mine either however I plan on slowly working the HP up on the bike so a clutch kit is going to be ordered....

:nojoke:

Just rev the sucker up to 4 grand and dump the clutch ... should'nt shudder ...

:joke:

·
Registered
75 Posts
shudder

I started getting the shudder last year on my road trip. Seemed to only be a problem if I gave it a little too much juice as I released the clutch.

I had this other problem with an ugly squeal since the bike was new. Got a little better when I went to 20/50 oil but came back with a vengeance after she was well broken in. I finally nailed it down to what I figured was clutch related. Talked to the service guy at Alberta Cylce last winter. He had a bike in there that had some obvious rubbing on the shift forks so that convinced me to change the clutch and I had them install a Cycle house high performance clutch and springs. Only a couple rides so far but significant difference, no noise mainly and shifts like a dream now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I didn't have much of a shudder but I did the 'Bluey Fix' to try and quiet down the beast a bit. There is waaaaaay too much space between the spring and the clips. It really wasn't all that hard using the how-to on the site. Just make sure you use a brass hammer to knock down the clips or wings hovering over the springs. Make sure to hammer them down flat as they are curved slightly then get them as close to the spring as possible without them binding. Reinstall and ride.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The only time I've gotten the shudder is when I've parked my bike at work all day, get all my gear on, iPod set ... turn the key, hit the ignition, release the clutch, and go.

I attributed it to lack of oil circulated through before the oil pressure and fluids had actually caught up to my demand on the bike. I just reversed the order, started my bike and let it idle while I get my gear ready ... no more shudder.

That said, I'd still like to take the time in the fall to do the Bluey - try and get that sound of grabbing a fistful of wrenches when shifting up to 2nd to calm down a bit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Im not sure if this is the same symptom or not. but if I get on to the bike cold and start her up but her in gear right away and go. the Back tire does a mild burnout, I pull on the clutch lever a couple of times and it stops doing it anymore. I was thinking that it's the same thing. just not enough oil yet. once its warm not a problem. never had any shaking or anything and goes into second with just a small click. I was thinking that maybe I just need the clutch cable adjusted or something. this all started about 8000klms when I installed my PCIII. I was thinking also that maybe the added HP may have attributed to it as well. Now I am aware of it so I let her warm up. hasn't gotten worse at all and now at about 9500klms. I read that this is common and some guys have replace clutch housing or something that has more ports in it to let more oil get to the plates. Not sure if its a big enough issue for me to do something about at the moment. My only fear is if the road is wet would the back end fly out from underneith me. would make it even worse if I was carring a passenger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let it warm up

I've found that the shudder doesn't occur nearly as often when I let the bike warm up for about 3 minutes. It'll happen every time if I just start and go, so I'm thinking it is oiling related. The only thing that still puzzles me is that it does happen on occasion at random times when the bike is warm???

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes Oil Related...

I have had that problem since last year I did let Danny and the Service Mgr know that it was happening mostly when the bike is started, idled then start out.
I've since been reving the bike a couple of times when warming up the engine it seems to take away the possiblity of it happening...how ever I have had it happen while on a ride and usually going around the corner to the right mostly.
Well it would be nice if they did do a recall on the springs and replace them with a little stronger ones.
Still the best bike around for the money! My brother has a Fat Boy and he commented on my Face Book pic that it almost looks like a Harley...Not...I responded with why would I pay more for less of a bike that is just not this Sexxxxy!! LOL

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The bluey fix isn't for the shudder though. It's to fix the vibration from the loose springs.
The shudder problem has no fix at present. The theory is that is is caused by lack of oil on the plates.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just started to notice, the studdering on take off last week. Roughly just over 17 000 kms. I ordererd heavy duty springs and a new high performance clutch. I should have them here this weekend, I'll let you know the difference once I install them.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I just started to notice, the studdering on take off last week. Roughly just over 17 000 kms. I ordererd heavy duty springs and a new high performance clutch. I should have them here this weekend, I'll let you know the difference once I install them.
You'll notice the problem will go away mostly because you will have soaked the clutch plates in oil. The problem will eventually come back though, once the oil slowly dries up.

·
Registered
488 Posts
You'll notice the problem will go away mostly because you will have soaked the clutch plates in oil. The problem will eventually come back though, once the oil slowly dries up.
The clutch plates are in an oil bath the whole time while riding the bike... they don't ever dry up!!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The clutch plates are in an oil bath the whole time while riding the bike... they don't ever dry up!!!
I know it's a wet clutch. What I meant was the shudder problem many of us are experiencing "in theory" is a result of the clutch plates not getting enough oil. It does get oil of course, just not enough. As a result it shudders and grabs.
If you took your clutch plates out, soaked them over night, then put them back in and changed nothing else, you would notice the shudder problem would go away. Of course until the plates lacked oil down the road again.
Some riders have been leaning the bike over to the right from time to time and it seems to help them. Who knows.
RealMaccoy is working on a permanant fix for the dry clutch plate problem. He will let us know when it's done. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I didnt realize that the oil affected the clutch either. Until Canuk mentioned it. As soon as I heard that I went to the garage and dumped about 1500 ml outta the oil pan and then added Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I had used it for years in my cars. I read the bottle and it said right on there "perfect for high performance motorcycles" What a difference that made, and here I was ordering a new clutch and springs on friday. I was out sunday afternoon and the bike felt great again. It was idling perfectly at 900 rpm, not 1100 like before.I got just over 17000 kms, if your bike got a few kms on it, I totally recommend you try this as well. But just make sure that its Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. I can only vouch for that brand because thats all I used for years. Oh and for the faint hearted, I will keep you updated on any ill affects from this.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am going to check with AMSOil and see if they have a similar product...I have only used AMSOil products have never had any ill effects from them so I'm sure if Lucas has it they will...

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is no way that using an additive or a different oil will make your bike idle at a lower RPM. thats impossible actually unless the engine can tell if th oil pressure is low thus increasing the rpms to bring the prssure up. Our bikes are not that sophisticated.
I noticed a week ago my bike is now idling at 1100rpm instead of 900. not sure why but i am certain its not the oil. most liklely the JSD Module acting up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ya Mike, you might be right. It could be that JSD. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks, but it still feels better. If it really is the JSD, I hope it stays broke/fixed or whatever you wanna call it, like that for awhile. I like it better this way.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I know it's a wet clutch. What I meant was the shudder problem many of us are experiencing "in theory" is a result of the clutch plates not getting enough oil. It does get oil of course, just not enough. As a result it shudders and grabs.
If you took your clutch plates out, soaked them over night, then put them back in and changed nothing else, you would notice the shudder problem would go away. Of course until the plates lacked oil down the road again.
Some riders have been leaning the bike over to the right from time to time and it seems to help them. Who knows.
RealMaccoy is working on a permanant fix for the dry clutch plate problem. He will let us know when it's done. Hopefully soon.
Some guys have drilled out more holes in the clutch basket. Not sure if it helps or not...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ya Day the additive won't do anything with the idle but it will stay on the plates a little longer keeping them somewhat more moist than just the oil on them...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.