M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all...2007 red with 480 miles.anyone else notice the lurch forward when shifting from neutral into first? happens to me every time.have tried adjustments at clutch lever but that does nothing for this .any suggestions? thanks ahead.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I think we all have it. Seems to be normal for this bike. Doesn't seem normal overall to me but I am used to it and it does not bother me.
I figure it like a race horse moving around in the gate impatient to be let loose.

Sledzep

·
Registered
422 Posts
Could just be inertia from the gears going from 0-1000rpm instantly.
Plus even though the clutch is pulled in the plates may take a split second to break free from one another.
This is only my theory of course there are others more knowlegable than me on this forum that can give you a better answer.
Don't worry it's normal (either that or it's just you and me :D)
Shouldn't be a problem if you're expecting it to do it
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Pull clutch lever in, wait 3-4 seconds {when you can), no lurch on my 07.No wait, it'll lurch every time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Crazyspeed said:
Normal ::), why does everyone look so deep into this bike??????????
A little reassurance goes a long way. I'd much rather ask the members of this forum about such things than go running to the dealership every time I had a question. It also opens the door to responses like Sled's... I figure it's like a race horse, moving around in the gate, impatient to be let loose. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well...I feel better about this now ,so thanks to all who helped to reasure me.I will try waiting a few seconds before putting in gear.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had it once...from then on I made sure to wait unless I was going to get on it intentionally...when the beast wants loose...the beast wants loose... :evil: :doorag:

Devilish

·
Registered
88 Posts
scoote said:
hello all...2007 red with 480 miles.anyone else notice the lurch forward when shifting from neutral into first? happens to me every time.have tried adjustments at clutch lever but that does nothing for this .any suggestions? thanks ahead.
I get the same lurch from 1st gear but I avoid this by staying in 2nd gear to start from (i.e. at a stoplight). The bike will accelerate from 2nd (AT LOW SPEEDS) and will scuttle a little but as speed picks up there isn't a problem.

Also, I have had moments where it didn't lurch but it doesn't happen often so I don't know the reason it doesn't lurch. I'll pay attention and if I figure out what I do different when it doesn't lurch, I'll post it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My bike does this too. Also it often does not like to go into first when at a complete stop. When this happens the only way it will go in first at a complete stop is if i press down on the shifter while releasing the clutch lever by about a third of its travel slowly. When it pops in it does so with the jerk forwards.

So what i do is wait until the second before i have to put my foot down during the the last six inches of rolling to a stop and downshift into first.  It goes in every time and the lurch forward is transmogrified into a little clunck.

I think that this issue is related to the clunking we get when shifting from first to second. The clutch does not seem to release fully. Or it does release fully at a peak point somewhere in the levers travel, but then when pulling the lever past this optimum point all the way to the hbar it "over clutches' " and begins to drag again.
I dont know how a bike clutch works, so i could be talking kak, but in a car - if the pressure plate fingers are pressed past optimum by the fork and thrust , exactly this clutch plate dragging can happen with the resultant gears grinding.

skin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Now I know that it seems to be normal with these bikes, my 06 burple does it. At first I was a bit concerned, but then I thought with the power that this bike has, no wonder there is a lurch. My other concern that I has was that when I shift into neutral sitting at a light, when a try to shift into first, somwtimes it won't shift. I'll tapp the gear shifter and it won't shift until the bike moves a little or the engine revs a little.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
skindiver said:
My bike does this too. Also it often does not like to go into first when at a complete stop. When this happens the only way it will go in first at a complete stop is if i press down on the shifter while releasing the clutch lever by about a third of its travel slowly. When it pops in it does so with the jerk forwards.

So what i do is wait until the second before i have to put my foot down during the the last six inches of rolling to a stop and downshift into first. It goes in every time and the lurch forward is transmogrified into a little clunck.

I think that this issue is related to the clunking we get when shifting from first to second. The clutch does not seem to release fully. Or it does release fully at a peak point somewhere in the levers travel, but then when pulling the lever past this optimum point all the way to the hbar it "over clutches' " and begins to drag again.
I dont know how a bike clutch works, so i could be talking kak, but in a car - if the pressure plate fingers are pressed past optimum by the fork and thrust , exactly this clutch plate dragging can happen with the resultant gears grinding.

skin.
Double clutch if it wont go in, that will let it go in.

Sledzep

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
:D aw not much has changed from the 06 to the 07, yep you've got the signature M feeling going on, just spank that pony it wants to go, let her loose, after you brake in of coarse. Oh ya be carefull you don't down gear into first when your going to fast you may fined you rear off the seat, never a dull moment on the M ye ha, have fun taming your steed.

"lol" means laugh out load

1 - 20 of 45 Posts