M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I need to figure out operate this messsage board..Any way, My last message left off with me getting the oil filter off. Had to use a one foot section of PVC pipe on the end of the ratchet to get enough leverage to break loose the drain plugs to drain the oil..Then I could not get my oil pan to fit under the bike. Another member mentioned he used one of his wife's frying pans as a drain pan and I'll be damn if it didn't work perfectly, just make sure it is large enough to hold about four quarts. Mine overflowed, but the way this oil change was going I wasn't surprised. Of course she was not exactly thrilled to see her "best" frying pan sitting there under my bike full of dirty bike oil..But she will get over it..LOL..Finally got the oil drained then had a Hell of a time getting those damn compression washers off the drain plug bolts.Must have taken a hour or so. Then I find out I only had one new compression washer so off to the dealer I go..And of course the charge $1.80 for the things that probably paid a quarter for. Be sure you get several of these "BEFORE" you begin the project. The bike now has three quarts in her and I am going to wait until the morning to fire her up and get the oil level correct. By the way, you might want to invest in a funnel with a long and flexible spout. The oil filler hole is also in a awkward position. Love the bike, but sure wish they would make them"User Friendly". . Next time it should only take me a couple of hours rather than most of the day..Yeah Right..Good luck and hope this helps someone from the agony I endured..LOL

PS. I used Suzuki 80-90 gear oil and Havoline 10w-40 for the motor

Ride On

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds like a real learning experience !
I don't understand why bike dealers don't do $20 oil change specials while you wait like the auto places do . .
It would increase showroom traffic resulting in more parts and accessory sales and probably new bike sales as well. ;)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hey bro, good info you're posting there, but 1 ??

In your part 1 post you said you had 100 miles on the bike?? You didn't actually do your first oil change that early did you? If so, be sure to do it again around 600 miles or so. Its not so much the oil you want to get out of the engine and differential as it is all the bluing and metal shavings from the gears learning how to mate and such.

Just my $0.02! I'll be doing my 600 mile oil change as soon as the oil shows up 8) Picked up the bike Friday evening and broke 600 miles on it on the way in to work yesterday morning. REALLY need to get it changed, damned thing is shifting like a Mack Truck right now, especially into 2nd gear. Skeered some dude in one of those convertible go carts yesterday shifting from first right next to him.. :evil: :D :evil:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have no motorcycle jack yet, so instead of using a frying pan, I lined up some spare bricks (broad side down and side to side, not end to end so I had room for error) I had laying around the garage. Rode the bike up onto the line of bricks, two bricks unrer the kickstand.

Once the bike is safely on the bricks, i pushed the bricks that weren't nder the tires out of the way and that made room for the standard auto oil catch container I had. Also gave more room for leverage on the oil filter.

Once finished, put the bricks back, rolled the bike back off the bricks. Worked like a charm. No jacking and no mess. :doorag:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Montanalg said:
Guess I need to figure out operate this messsage board..Any way, My last message left off with me getting the oil filter off. Had to use a one foot section of PVC pipe on the end of the ratchet to get enough leverage to break loose the drain plugs to drain the oil..Then I could not get my oil pan to fit under the bike. Another member mentioned he used one of his wife's frying pans as a drain pan and I'll be damn if it didn't work perfectly, just make sure it is large enough to hold about four quarts. Mine overflowed, but the way this oil change was going I wasn't surprised. Of course she was not exactly thrilled to see her "best" frying pan sitting there under my bike full of dirty bike oil..But she will get over it..LOL..Finally got the oil drained then had a Hell of a time getting those damn compression washers off the drain plug bolts.Must have taken a hour or so. Then I find out I only had one new compression washer so off to the dealer I go..And of course the charge $1.80 for the things that probably paid a quarter for. Be sure you get several of these "BEFORE" you begin the project. The bike now has three quarts in her and I am going to wait until the morning to fire her up and get the oil level correct. By the way, you might want to invest in a funnel with a long and flexible spout. The oil filler hole is also in a awkward position. Love the bike, but sure wish they would make them"User Friendly". . Next time it should only take me a couple of hours rather than most of the day..Yeah Right..Good luck and hope this helps someone from the agony I endured..LOL

PS. I used Suzuki 80-90 gear oil and Havoline 10w-40 for the motor

Ride On
1. Give your wifes frying pan back and go to the Dollar store and get an aluminum baking pan. Plenty of room for oil and you can bend it to fit under the bike and pour the used oil into a recycling container.

2. Does Havoline make a motorcycle specific oil? Make sure it is motorcycle specific.

3. Don't forget to change the gear oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts