M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone thinking of using the 16mm shock bolt hole on the 109 rear for mounting a side mount plate, plan on going to a Fastenal Store to get the bolt. I searched high and low and could not find a auto parts, hardware, or motorcycle dealership that stocks a 16 mm bolt. After much frustration I visited a local Fastenal Dealer and they didn't have a 16mm X 20mm by 1.5 pitch in stock. They located one, in stock, at one of their stores in Texas. Having it shipped to my residence and should have it in a few days. I'm doing a one off side mount license holder from 1/4 thick aluminum plate and needed the extra length bolt for mounting.

G

·
350 hard miles and no problems. My side mount is less than an 1/8" thick stainless. Had enough room for a split lock washer.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toneout said:
I went to Ace Hardware. It is an import oil fill plug. They must have had 10 of them in stock.
Thanks for the "heads up"! I went to a Ace Store but didn't visit their automotive section. I'll check it out tomorrow. A oil drain plug should have a collar. The item I ordered from Fastenal is a hex head bolt without a collar.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HalGreenlee said:
Thanks Hal! I'll check that source also! I actually have two mounts in process, one from 3/32 polished stainless and the other from 1/4 inch aluminum plate that will eventually be polished. It will help to have several options for the 16mm fastener.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bingo!!! Went to a local NAPA store that I had already visited looking for a 16mm bolt. This time I asked for a 16mm, 1.5 pitch oil drain plug and sure enough they had a drawer full. Less than three bucks. This plug has a hex head with flange and is nickle plated, perfect for my side mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts