M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's finally time to put some new pipes on this beast and i really cant make up my mind... I really like the look of the stock pipes so i like the look of the big shots, but i want something super loud... i have heard the big shots are loud if debaffled... I also like Polartek's pipes which are the bms 2 into 2 chopper pipes and i heard they were really loud, just wonder if anyone can tell me how close these two pipes are soundwise... Thanks for imput.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
It's finally time to put some new pipes on this beast and i really cant make up my mind... I really like the look of the stock pipes so i like the look of the big shots, but i want something super loud... i have heard the big shots are loud if debaffled... I also like polartek's pipes which are the bms 2 into 2 chopper pipes and i heard they were really loud, just wonder if anyone can tell me how close these two pipes are soundwise... Thanks for imput.
fixed it for ya:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
IMHO, it depends on where YOU want to hear it as well, Bigshots run all the way back and point backward, so most of the sound will be directed to the back, My pipes and polartek's pipes are short and directed to the side, so they are ALOT louder to the rider as well, let alone when you pass a wall on your right (even curbs) while you're on the throttle the sound tends to echo back to you and can be downright obnoxious... but I like it that way:evil:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMHO, it depends on where YOU want to hear it as well, Bigshots run all the way back and point backward, so most of the sound will be directed to the back, My pipes and polartek's pipes are short and directed to the side, so they are ALOT louder to the rider as well, let alone when you pass a wall on your right (even curbs) while you're on the throttle the sound tends to echo back to you and can be downright obnoxious... but I like it that way:evil:
Yeah i definitely like that alot too, but with my wife riding alot i dont think she would like it... which is also why i am leaning towards the big shots, just want to know if they stand up to these pipes...

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Another person wishing to piss off the non-riding public, so they will pass new laws making after-market pipes illegal.:mad:

Way to go. I hope your city is one of the first to pass such a law.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another person wishing to piss off the non-riding public, so they will pass new laws making after-market pipes illegal.:mad:

Way to go. I hope your city is one of the first to pass such a law.:bigthumbsup:
no just tired of being right next to someone and them not hearing my stockers and cutting into my lane... if all drivers were more aware i would stay stock, but we have alot of moron drivers here and i want them to look for me because they hear me before they can see me...

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
It won't be me doing the whining when they introduce a law banning the use of after-market pipes in your jurisdiction.:D

I do have a Cobra 2-into-1 on my bike. Its slightly louder than stock, so I put my money where my mouth is. There are already numerous places where after-market pipes are illegal, Kal-E-Forni-A is soon to be one of them, with a brand new law outlawing non-stock pipes starting the 2013 model year.

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.:cop:

Look in the mirror for whom to blame, when it happens.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
UOTE=EY3LESS;1360179]

[/QUOTE]:a18: Loud pipes save lives!!!

:pop: LOL at the comments of no help!!

To the o/p, the big shots de-baffled are loud!!! Like obnoxious loud. I have the Cobra swepts, de-baffled. They are just as loud IMO. However, under normal cruise, they are quite easy on the ear, still loud, but tolerable.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There are laws in most states already but as long as you don't have a twitchy right hand at every stop sign the coppers will look the other way.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
UOTE=EY3LESS;1360179]

To the o/p, the big shots de-baffled are loud!!! Like obnoxious loud. I have the Cobra swepts, de-baffled. They are just as loud IMO. However, under normal cruise, they are quite easy on the ear, still loud, but tolerable.
:agree:
and I think that'll be the same thing for any aftermarket pipe without baffles.
it kind of sucks to not have any basis for comparison. If you have a few riders in your area with different kinds of pipes you could figure out what you like. I KNEW i wanted loud pipes and just ordered a set without even thinking.
online video DOES NOT WORK! without being next to the bike you can't get a feel for the sound.:bigthumbsup:
If you want tuneability (is that a word?) I'd go with something long enough so you can install or take out baffles to get the sound that you want.
If you go with the BMS pipes or the Bassanis you're stuck with LOUD and thats all you get.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Switched from stockers.

I just switched from a drilled set of stockers to the V&H Bigshots.
Started it without the baffles and it was VERY loud. Put the baffles in and it was perfect for ME. If you want it loud, these are pretty loud. But like previous responses, you can tune them down if needed.

Good rumble at cruising sppeds but they bark nice when you get into the right hand twisty speed increasing adjuster. Even with the baffles in them.

Best MOD yet.

Gained 3 MPG on top of it. Who would of thought?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It won't be me doing the whining when they introduce a law banning the use of after-market pipes in your jurisdiction.:D

I do have a Cobra 2-into-1 on my bike. Its slightly louder than stock, so I put my money where my mouth is. There are already numerous places where after-market pipes are illegal, Kal-E-Forni-A is soon to be one of them, with a brand new law outlawing non-stock pipes starting the 2013 model year.

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.:cop:

Look in the mirror for whom to blame, when it happens.
well thankfully i'm not in the Soviet Union Of Cally... I think i'm safe with aftermarket pipes here when i think it is our governor who is a big biker on his harley lol... too bad he couldnt find a real bike tho...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UOTE=EY3LESS;1360179]

:a18: Loud pipes save lives!!!

:pop: LOL at the comments of no help!!

To the o/p, the big shots de-baffled are loud!!! Like obnoxious loud. I have the Cobra swepts, de-baffled. They are just as loud IMO. However, under normal cruise, they are quite easy on the ear, still loud, but tolerable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the imput i think i will definitely have to go with the Big shots... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have had the swepts for about a year now, de-baffled of course and love them. Loud when you want them to be and quiet when you need them to be. They draw alot of attention too.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
so why not gut first, you have nothing to lose! Road house sounds like my gut stockers
I liked my gutted stockers BUT.......my Roadhouse pipes are MUCH louder and deeper. In fact, they are borderline too loud for me.

There is also a significant weight reduction with the slip-ons which was appealing to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts