M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started back in May when I ordered a set of LED Bolt lights to mount on my Cycle House plate. The first set blew my flasher fuse and when I broke out the multimeter I found that the case and red wire were shorted. I contacted Kuryakyn directly and they set out a new set.

When the new set got here the first thing I did was check them with the multimeter. This time both bolts were shorted.

I contacted them again (didn't even bother trying to install them) and after a 2 week delay they got back and told me that they had a manufacturing problem and that a new set was on it's way. By this point I had given up and ordered a chrome plate trim with built in LED bar (which looks great but is a bit tight with the Cycle House plate and required cutting my plate to route the wires)

The new LED's showed up Monday and they check out fine with the multimeter but I just do not trust them a bit.

I'm on hold with Direct Line right now to see if I can return all 3 sets to them for a refund.

EDIT: Ok, Now back to Kuryakyn. Because this process has taken more then 15 days Direct Line can only give me a store credit if I return the LED Bolts. I'm writing back to Kuryakyn to see if I can get a refund directly from them after all of this mess. Damn shame too, the grips are great but they just can't build a light bolt to save their lives.

EDIT 2: Nope, they can't do anything since I didn't buy them directly from them, back to Direct Line.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mooremj said:
Ok, here, Imagine 3 sets of these, sitting next to each other (with yellow stickies on them (Bad Set 1, Bad Set 2, Maybe Good Set)

and 2 sets of them are shorted from the red wire to the casing causing the fuse to blow when you hook them up.

:joke:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am not sure what those led ones cost but another alternative is to stop in at a large truck stop along the highway and look. These truck stops are gold mines to me, the rouge they sell for polishing is second to none and I have only found it there. I have also scored some plate fasteners this week on my trip to New Orleans. These things are $9.99 for a pack of 4. The chrome looks good and personally I think they are the right size.Â

I will post pics installed tonight but right now I NEED to go ride. BYE

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been waiting more than two weeks for a second set of those bolt lights , same problem you had, I hope the next set works ... I know they don't cost much, but test them before you send them out . I called directline yesterday, and its gonna be another week , maybe more before I get them.. I cut my plate mount off on june 19th and it will be a month before I have working plate lights.... If the second set works... :confused:

G

·
I just got the same plate the Felix got and it is a great piece for the money $25 from Custom Dynamics. I am hoping to hook mine up next Monday when my mounting bracket comes in from Direct Line. What cutting did you have to do to make the plate work?? Was it at the top where the plate just about touched the plastic fender?? Just wondering.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Check out Cycle house plate bracket install on ( child boards) ... on the tech board... Lamont posted a great " how to " on doing this mod. Take your time, and it makes a big difference!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruno said:
I just got the same plate the Felix got and it is a great piece for the money $25 from Custom Dynamics. I am hoping to hook mine up next Monday when my mounting bracket comes in from Direct Line. What cutting did you have to do to make the plate work?? Was it at the top where the plate just about touched the plastic fender?? Just wondering.
What I had to do was 2-fold.
The new LED plate has a power wire coming off the top right corner. I didn't want to bend it over and smash it between the plate so....

1) I drilled a hole in the upper right corner of the PA plate around where the wires came out of the LED plate. I also had to dremmel off a small amount of PA plate to get it to fit into the LED Plate. Looking back I think I should have notched the plate instead of drilling a hole JUST in case I ever need to replace the PA plate for some reason.

2) I drilled a small hole in the Cycle House plate mount lined up with the LED Plate wires. Be careful here if you already have your turn signals mounted because you will be drilling right through the plate towards the signal wires.

Then I ran the wires from the LED Plate through the PA Plate and through the Cycle house plate and hooked them up to the stock harness.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MC57 said:
I've been waiting more than two weeks for a second set of those bolt lights , same problem you had, I hope the next set works ... I know they don't cost much, but test them before you send them out . I called directline yesterday, and its gonna be another week , maybe more before I get them.. I cut my plate mount off on june 19th and it will be a month before I have working plate lights.... If the second set works... :confused:
Since Direct Line will only give me a "store credit" for them I would be willing to sell you all 3 sets (2 bad and one good) for $20 paypal shipped. That way you can get them sooner and cancel your other order. What you do with the frist 2 sets ???? I don't know, but I don't need them.

I haven't hooked up the last set I got but I did check them with the multimeter and they are not shorted to the case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, one worked fine, the other caused the fuse to blow, but since I needed to run a light back there, I'm only using one light. (looks a bit weird, but it will do for now).

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sounds like a hole bunch of trouble to me, i think it would look nice if you ever got it too work.No telling how long that crap would last before it blew out.

G

·
Re: Finally got a set of working (Maybe) Kuryakyn Light Bolts - NOT MINE!

Got my Kuryakyn LED Light Bolts from DL yesterday. Should have checked them first!!!! Took license plate off, mounted bolts, soldered/heat shrinked wires. Turn key on - fuse pops!!!

Take the LED bolts off and checked with a VOM. One shorted to body of bolt. Put "old" LED plate light back on.

Took bolts and tossed them in trash with a few choice explicitives! Ya, I know, should have returned them but it's just not worth the hassle.

Based on this thread, and my experience, don't buy these. Kuryakyn obviously has a manufacturing problem and does not check these. I don't get it. Kuryakyn pieces are usually great quality!

Off to the auto parts store thsi morning to try and find some fuses for the 109.

Rob

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
couldnt you just isolate them from the metal on the bike? a rubber washer, maybe a little electric tape?
Am I missing something? did they work off the bike and only fail when the metal case touched the grounded plate/holder?

Sledzep

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sledzep01 said:
couldnt you just isolate them from the metal on the bike? a rubber washer, maybe a little electric tape?
Am I missing something? did they work off the bike and only fail when the metal case touched the grounded plate/holder?
Sledzep
Could you ?. Sure, Should you have to ?. No. Would I risk riding with something that if it "just hit" the plate would cause all of my signals to go away ? Not a chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts