M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not what to use or how to do it..but is it possible to put in too much? I changed it yesterday and had bike leaning to right a little...and after putting it in stood it back up and it started coming out...Checked it today and it was some oil sitting in threads and things looked lubed inside so Im feeling ok about it, but just wanted to get a quick opinion on the situation. It damn sure should be nice and full...but....this bike is funny about damn near everything and just want to make sure Im ok.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I lean mine a little to the right and add the fluid till just a bit starts dripping then cap it off. Done. Its the easiest thing to service on the 9 IMO.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
you did it 100% right sir. and if you dont stand it up and let it be over filled it will start to airate the oil and it wont protect as well. but sounds like you did it perfect sir!:bigthumbsup:

i need to do that on mine as well.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
I add mine with the bike on the lift, and just as it gets full I rotate the wheel to turn the gears, which picks up some of the lube, and add a little more. Then put the plug back in before any can run out. Unless you lean them way over it would be hard to get too much in it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
I add mine with the bike on the lift, and just as it gets full I rotate the wheel to turn the gears, which picks up some of the lube, and add a little more. Then put the plug back in before any can run out. Unless you lean them way over it would be hard to get too much in it.
Man oh man, that's how I do it also Zoom. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I do the same with the spin of the wheel Mr Zoom. I always put my on the bike lift to do everything. I change my like ever fourth oil change too. It don't take much. I also get a little spray on the rim after I change it. It stops after a while.

Synthetic would be a good gear oil also.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
:agree:Same here. I use the Lucas 80-90.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Agreeing with all of the above, I just want to add that even if you could over-fill it, there is an overflow hole that would lose the excess.

·
Registered
310 Posts
this was taken from my suzuki factory service manual.
FINAL GEAR OIL
Replace initially at 1 000 km (600 miles, 2 months) and
inspect every 12 000 km (7 500 miles, 24 months)
thereafter.
Keep the motorcycle upright.
• Place an oil pan under the final gear case.
• Remove the filler cap
and drain plug
to drain oil.
• Tighten the drain plug
to the specified torque. Pour the
specified oil (SAE 90 hypoid gear oil with GL-5 under API
classification) through the filler hole until the oil level reaches
the filler hole.
• Refit the filler cap
#Final gear oil drain plug: 23 N·m (2.3 kgf-m, 16.5 Ib-ft)
% Final gear oil: 200 – 220 ml
(6.8/7.0 – 7.4/7.7 US/Imp oz)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts