M109 Riders banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2006 and took it out today for the first time and rode 50 miles at 50 to 75 mph.
Looked it over when I got back and noticed a fair amount of grease around the hole in the center, like it was slinging it out similar to a bearing buddy on a trailer.
Don't think that is supposed to happen.
So, what's up with that?
I'll try and add pictures shortly.
Unfortunately I wiped off most of the grease, but I think that there shouldn't be any grease there. Especially slinging out.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It just hit me!
New tires replaced, front and back.
I'm guessing that the shaft seal gets replaced and I believe that it gets greased, Right?
Still surprised that much grease came out of it. Really wasn't a great deal but wasn't expecting.
OR am I way off base?
Since it's January in the middle of Nebraska, there ain't many days to ride so it will be a while before I can confirm my speculation!
Appreciate any guidance on this.
Thanks in advance.
Oh yeah, my first ride on any M109R and I didn't expect this performance.
Very smooth and comfortable.
Fabulous ride!
Very different from my 3 Goldwings!

·
Radio Active Member
22,535 Posts
I don't believe I've ever heard of a leak around the axle bolt hole. Was it grease or oil? There is no oil seal in there that gets replaced when a wheel is removed, but there is an oil seal around the perimeter of the part the axle goes through that could go bad and let final drive fluid leak out there. But I've never heard of that seal going bad. It's much more common for the large seal that seals the final drive to the wheel to go bad and let fluid leak out between the final drive and the wheel.

I would guess they greased the axle and just go too much on it. I always put a light coating of grease on mine so it doesn't corrode in there.

How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I found the same thing with my bike when I bought it. When I replaced the rear tire, I pulled the rim myself. I thought I was going to find a bad seal or something. Turns out there is nothing to leak around the axle shaft head. It was just grease from the shaft when the last guy replaced the shaft with too much grease on it. You are good to go.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Yep, thats what happens when there is too much grease on the shaft when you reinstall it. Happens to mine when I put to much on it when I reinstall it. The bearing and seal in the final drive basically scrape it off because its a fairly close tolerance between them. To get my extra grease out, I fold a paper towel into a square and use the sharp pointed end and it comes out easy versus using a pick. The pick seems to just smear it around for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda what I figured.
14.5K miles on her.
You would never guess that much by looking at her. She is in immaculate condition!
In fact, I've read about common shifting issues but she doesn't exhibit any of them.
Extremely well taken care of.
And to think that my wife (very non mechanical) found this and bought it for my birthday!
Wife continues to surprise me frequently. (Great cook and great looking too!)
Yeah, definitely a keeper!
😁

1 - 8 of 8 Posts