M109 Riders banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After draining the coolant, putting straight distilled water through the system, running the engine for about 10min, draining it again, put more distilled water in, running the engine, draining it again etc. etc. I did this a few times over and now when draining, the water comes out pretty darn clear.

Which brings me to my question...how much distilled water is STILL IN THE ENGINE that won't drain out? I need to take this into account when I measure out the new coolant and distilled water mixture, so that I end up with a 50/50 mixture.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If all you have in there is distilled water does it really matter, simply add 50%of the coolant capacity of straight antifreeze and then top up with distilled water and run the motor up to temperature.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Thi is from Owners manual and might help you:

Engine coolant capacity.............................. 2.7 L (2.9/2.4 US/Imp. qt)

I also would not worry about the amount of leftover water in the cavities.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is not a lot left over once you pull the lower hose.

When you refill, purge the air and top off several times, it will take the full listed capacity of fluid.

While you have the system empty remove your reservoir bottle and clean it out good also, there is often sediment in the bottom.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so don't worry about what's left inside, got it. About air bleeding..."add coolant up to radiator inlet, start engine and bleed air from radiator inlet completely, add coolant up to radiator inlet, repeat...." See pic.

My point of confusion here is how exactly to bleed air from the rad inlet with the engine running. What exactly am I to do during this step?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't tell you how your supposed to do it, but I can tell you how I do it.

I just fill, then rock the bike back and forth. Obviously you will be rocking it to the left more than the right with the cap off.

It does not take a lot of motion and you will see that air will purge and the coolant level will fall.

Top it off and repeat, do this many times until you do not see the coolant level falling.

Then put the radiator cap back on, start the bike and let it warm up, then go for a ride just long enough to insure it comes to temp and the thermostat has opened.

Then park the bike on level surface again, wait for it cool and repeat the purging process.

I may repeat this process a couple of times if I feel it is needed.

Once I am comfortable the air is removed I will ride the bike for a day or 2 and then check again and repeat the purging process. In most cases its all good by this point.

I normally check again after riding it for a week or so just to be thorough.

After that I check the coolant level at the radiator cap each time I have the tank off to do maintenance or clean the bike.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I dont even worry about it anymore when I do mine. I just pull the lower hose and let it drain. Then just put 50/50 premix back in, then bleed the system. I do this every 2-3 yrs.

Now when I bleed mine, I start it up and idle it until the cooling fan kicks on and off a few times then let it cool down over night. I do that a few days in a row then to the overflow bottle to about an inch above the full line. It always goes down a little after the first ride, and I dont want to have to take the shroud off again

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts