M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fill plug for final drive is completed stripped out someone must have torqued it on there with a damn impact. The other hole to the left, not the axel screw, where does that hole lead to? Can I fill hub that way?

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,931 Posts
Fill plug for final drive is completed stripped out someone must have torqued it on there with a damn impact. The other hole to the left, not the axel screw, where does that hole lead to? Can I fill hub that way?
Welcome to the forum, Cheers.. 🍻
The other hole is blind hole for use when that part is used on other Suzuki bikes,
so no go that way. IMHO the best way is use Helicoil or similar thread inserts system,..

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
8,993 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Cheers.. 🍻
The other hole is blind hole for use when that part is used on other Suzuki bikes,
so no go that way. IMHO the best way is use Helicoil or similar thread inserts system,..
I would drill oversize, tap, and use an oversize plug for the rear. There is not a lot of material for a Helicoil, maybe 8 - 10 MM thick?
Just my 2 cents & my personal opinion.

Ok thanks it's just the bolt part to take it off. I just tried heating it up. That didn't even work.
Welcome to the forum!

Try heating it, and then hitting it with something COLD, like carb cleaner (Not brake cleaner, that would produce toxic fumes)
The fast cool should break it free if it's stuck.
If it STILL won't budge, apply a mix of ATF & acetone and let it sit an hour (or longer) to penetrate, then try again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If they are NPT. then the standard practice is to drill and tap the next size over then use a bushing that has the original thread size for the internal. I would cut it a hair deeper so as to bottom out on the hex for a cleaner look and use a brass bushing so it will not stick so bad. Aluminum is very sticky and Galles so easily.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
Did you strip the threads or just round the head off the bolt? If the threads in the cover are stripped it might be easier to buy a used one. If the bolt threads are stripped you can replace the bolt. But I think you're saying the bolt was so tight you rounded the head off, in which case I would just grab it with a pipe wrench or vice grips and get it out, then either replace it or file it down so another size wrench fits it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts