M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the scorpion tip exhaust with the gold wing air box mod. I have a set of K&Ns ready to go on. That's really all i plan on doing to the bike, it's plenty powerful for me. No boring or other crazyness for me and i'm wondering if it's worth it to get the PCIII or just go with a plug and play FI2000r. Open to opinions. Thanks.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
The FI2000R works fine for me. I've changed intakes and exhausts several times and it's easy to adjust for the changes.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You are comparing apples and oranges. For one, skip the PCIII. The PCV fits all the same years, costs the same and has far greater abilities and options. Between the PCV and the FI2000, that depends on what you want.

The FI2000 has 3 ranges and you manually adjust fuel corrections in those three ranges.

The PCV's 'ranges' are by throttle % and RPMs, so with 5% throttle increments and 250 RPM increments over 7000 RPMs, with a separate table for each gear, you can set it for up to, well, 20x28x5=2,800 separate points of adjustment. You can set those adjustments with a premade map, having it dyno tuned, running the Autotune accessory or even manually from a PC.

Yes the PCV costs more, but you are paying for more control and more options.

So, which is best? Depends on how much control you want.

If you want the most out of your bike at every level, then pay the extra for it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
The PCV fits all the same years, costs the same and has far greater abilities and options. Between the PCV and the FI2000, that depends on what you want.
SR, is that true on the cost between the PCIII and PCV? I thought you had to add the auto tune module to the PCV, which costs over $200? Or is it the same price even with the auto tune module added?

If it costs the same as a PCIII I would think about getting a PCV myself. But not if it cost $300 for the PCV and another $200 for the auto tune.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I currently have the scorpion tip exhaust with the gold wing air box mod. I have a set of K&Ns ready to go on. That's really all i plan on doing to the bike, it's plenty powerful for me. No boring or other crazyness for me and i'm wondering if it's worth it to get the PCIII or just go with a plug and play FI2000r. Open to opinions. Thanks.
going by your statement above, i would suggest the fi1200. it will do a great job for you. even if down the line you were to do some additional part swapping to the bike in terms of intakes or aftermarket pipes, the cobra fi1200 would allow for easy adjustments without additional expense.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Auto Tune cost vs Dyno dollars

My understanding is that buying the PCV Auto-Tune module is a trade off from spending money on Dyno time. The Auto-Tune can essentially replace the Dyno Tuning for as long as you own the module. If you change exhaust or intakes, the Auto-Tuner can adjust dynamically. So the correct cost comparison would be FI2000 to PCIII or to PCV (without Auto-Tune). The PCIII cost compared to the PCV cost is awfully close and it seems like they are marketing the PCIII to 2008 and older bikes and the PCV to newer models. Anyway, none of us will move into a different tax bracket based on what we save in any of these choices. Pick the feature set you feel most comfortable with and just do it!:bigthumbsup: Personally, I will be going with the PCV (with Auto-Tune).

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
SR, is that true on the cost between the PCIII and PCV? I thought you had to add the auto tune module to the PCV, which costs over $200? Or is it the same price even with the auto tune module added?

If it costs the same as a PCIII I would think about getting a PCV myself. But not if it cost $300 for the PCV and another $200 for the auto tune.
I understood it that way also Zoom.
My understanding is that the buying the PCV Auto-Tune capability is a trade off from spending money on Dyno time. So the correct cost comparison would be FI2000 to PCIII or to PCV (without Auto-Tune). Anyway, none of will move into a different tax bracket based on what we save in any of these choices. Pick the feature set you feel most comfortable with and just do it!:bigthumbsup:
You can find the PCIII and the PCV units at the same price roughly.

I stole my PCV at $174 new & shipped (watch ebay for stupid auctions), but yes, they are about $300 on the norm.

The Autotune is an option. Without it, the PCV is like the PCIII with the added abilities to:
-run a map for each cylinder
-set smaller increments (250rpm)
-hold 2 maps
-tap into your temp sensor so engine temp can be a factor in you maps
-add in speed as a factor in your maps, say for a ram-air effect on your intakes
-add Autotune later if you want it

Yes, the Autotune is another $200, but you do not need to get it. I ran the PCV on a premade map for 2 months before I got the Autotune.

If you choose to get the Autotune, you can build your own maps with target A/F ratios at each level and the unit will build a fuel table that gets you to that ratio. For example, I have each gear below 20% throttle, and all of 5th gear running on the lean side and the harder you get on the throttle, the richer the ratio I get. This gives me fuel economy when I am not on it hard or when I am crusing in 5th, but full out power when I get on it.

If you choose not to get the Autotune, you can use premade maps or get it dynotuned, just like the PCIII.

Also, just like the PCIII, you can connect to your computer and manually change the numbers at any point in any table, which would be much like manually adjusting an FI2000.

I have seen places renting the Autotune unit, which would be a good way to go if you are not constantly changing things, because you could use it to build a custom map under real riding conditions you actually encounter and then return the Autotune and run the map.

Ultimately, there is nothing the PCIII can do the the PCV can not. Add in the PCVs ability to do each cylinder and each gear independently and the PCIII is obsolete.

Do not get me wrong. The PCIII is still a good unit if you already have it. There is just no reason to buy a PCIII for the 9, now that the PCV is out.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
So who has the best price on the PCV?

Group buy?
Seriously watch ebay.

Mostly, they list them as Buy It Now items at retail.

Occasionally, they will be listed as an auction with a low starting price.

Mine was a Canadian seller, listing in the American auctions using the bike name VZR1800.

"M109R" was not even included in the description anywhere.

I was the only bidder and won it for the oppeing bid of $150 + $24 shipping.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another thing to think about. The Auto-tune module relies on you having (or installing) an O2 sensor in your exhaust. If you are thinking of changing your exhaust, then it might be a good time to install the O2 sensors in your new pipes before installing the pipes on the bike. Kill 2 birds yaddah yaddah.
But if you're thinking about just renting it, then installing the O2 sensor to make it work may be painful, and will certainly add to the cost. Just thinking out loud...

P.S. This mod sickness is progressive...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Another thing to think about. The Auto-tune module relies on you having (or installing) an O2 sensor in your exhaust. If you are thinking of changing your exhaust, then it might be a good time to install the O2 sensors in your new pipes before installing the pipes on the bike. Kill 2 birds yaddah yaddah.
But if you're thinking about just renting it, then installing the O2 sensor to make it work may be painful, and will certainly add to the cost. Just thinking out loud...
The install is cake.

Drill the hole and screw in the bung mount.

They call it a weld-on, but I sealed up the mount with some exhaust patch putty from Pep-Boys and it is working out great.

If you were renting it and were removing it from the hole, just get the same size bolt to fill the hole or a small piece of flashing and some exhaust patch.

Also, in theory, you do not need to drill for it. The one unit I saw for rental had an extended line and they had you just push it up the rear of your exhaust with a coat hanger far enough to get clean readings. Yes, you had a wire coming out of your exhaust, but the idea was that is was only temporary. They were doing it at a bike show and they set you up, you took a ride to build a map and when you came back, they took off the Autotune.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You want me to put it where?

That, my friend, is an exit. And we don't put things up there!:verymad:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That, my friend, is an exit. And we don't put things up there!:verymad:
LOL!

If you expect your girl to take it in the tailpipe, then it is only fair to expect the same from your bike.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm just thinking on how to explain those burn marks. Hmmmm...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
It works on previous years. They have only tested it on the years listed, so that is what they show it for. At least that's my understanding from what has been posted on here. Same with the PCIII, it will work on newer years but they've only tested it up through the years listed.

SR, thanks for the very detailed explanation of the differences. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Understood. I'll watch for an auction to pop up. Right now the BIN's are in the $300 range all inclusive. It also reads PCV for 09-10 bikes. I can research it but if you know - will it work on previous years?
It works on previous years. They have only tested it on the years listed, so that is what they show it for. At least that's my understanding from what has been posted on here. Same with the PCIII, it will work on newer years but they've only tested it up through the years listed.

SR, thanks for the very detailed explanation of the differences. :bigthumbsup:
Both the PCIII and PCV work on every year of the 9. The year designation is a marketing thing that even their own support guys are tongue in cheek about.

I have been on the phone with the support guys several times and each of them has admitted that they know that the PCV works on all of the years, but they will not speculate on why the PCV is marketed for the newer models.

My theory? So they can keep selling PCIIIs to 9 owners that do not bother to do their homework.

There are bikes that they have not made the PCV for yet, so they need to keep producing the PCIII. Why close down a portion of that market when they are going to be making them anyway?

By the way, Dynojet support guys rock. They will walk you through parts of the software that no manual even touches. Calibrating speed, temperature, and intake pressure data, making custom maps, and even my officially unsupported attempts to fit a bluetooth unit and develop an Android App so my phone can act as a wireless display/control center.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I'm just thinking on how to explain those burn marks. Hmmmm...
Consider that the o2 sensor is called a bung.

That would make the hole you drill to fit it, or the end of the pipe you stick it up a bung-hole, right?:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts