M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might be a dumb question......but can you adjust the settings while trying to tune it while the bike is running, or is it best to turn the bike off, adjust the pods, then re start the bike??.......thanks for any and all input

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I have done it both ways many times and I never really noticed any difference, of course you have to take it out on the road to see how the changes effected it. Lately,and I've had the Cobra for over two years, I have been smelling fuel more then usual. I decided that the richness was easier to smell as the weather was turning colder and clearer then summer. I turned down a bit on #1 to about 1.5, left #2 at 4 and upped #3 a bit to 2.5...the smell is gone and it's got a perfect rolling drone like noise when the plugs fire at any rpm range from 2100 to 3000 +...like a sewing machine but pulls very hard in any gear. I have V&H's sucking though K&N's in free flow air box's.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
I've adjusted mine both ways too. Real adjustments were with it off, but I've adjusted it with the bike running just to see what it would do. I could crank the first pot up high enough to get it to start blowing some black smoke, so I know it was working.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I thought I read somewhere it is to be shut off before adjustments? I shut mine off before messing with electrical stuff.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
I thought I read somewhere it is to be shut off before adjustments? I shut mine off before messing with electrical stuff.
You should always have the bike off and the ignition off, and even the battery disconnected, when changing any of the connections to the unit.

For adjusting it, you can have it running. One of the ways that Cobra recommends setting the pots is with it running. For instance, for the Volusia you warm the bike up, set the green pot (first pot) to 0, then set the throttle to hold the engine at 2000 rpm. Then you adjust the green pot up until the rpm starts to increase, then back it off just a little.

About the only way to adjust the 3rd pot for maximum power is to do it on a dyno, and they adjust it with it running. Of course you can adjust it yourself, but on a dyno they adjust it running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts