M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took her out today and went about 60 miles, running fine. Stopped for a smoke, hopped back on, went about 500 yards and the FI light comes on and she starts running like crap.

Stop, check wires i can reach, start, no FI light but as soon as she gets going the light comes on again.

She's run fine for three years since the PCIII so it can't be that and I haven't touched her mechanically for months so I haven't screwed up anything recently. I did wash her before taking her out but any water would have displayed as a problem well before it did.

A long limp home on one jug, and a big bill ahead I think.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno yet, have to take it in or jig up a tool to see.

Light only comes on when I start it up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ECM Connector

Take the ECM connectors off and remove the orange piece off each connector then spray with electrical contact cleaner and also the ECM contacts itself. Reinstall and check for code. Do this before you replace any parts.:bigthumbsup: I had a FI light for a year before I just cleaned the contacts at the ECM and that fixed it. Good Luck

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,958 Posts
It could be the injector connector is partially off. That front one is the hardest to get on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going home to pull off tank and airbox, hopefully the problem is sticking out like dogs balls.I haven't got a manual, so if anyone knows of a link or can post some info on how to do the air box I'd really appreciate it. I have got the power commander page to show where the connectors go but it's all the hoses and wires I'm worried about.Would the FI light come on if the injector was blocked or faulty??Cheers.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,958 Posts
There's a link in here to a free electronic version of the service manual.
Frequently asked questions

Do a search on the air box, it's not hard but it does take some pulling and tugging to get it back on. The service manual will tell you what needs to be unhooked, which you can see once you pull the tank off. When you put it back on spray some Windex on the boots and from there it's just pushing and pulling.

If the fuel injectors get gummed up you won't get an error code, but if they fail or become unplugged you will.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link Zoom, thanks heavens for broadband.

Well all the connections are fine, sprayed with electrical contact cleaner, secured firmly and the problem persists. BUGGER!!

Might be a broken wire somewhere in the loom, but I'm no sparky. If it's an injector failure then they'll have to do it in the shop.

Lucky there's a special on, $55 per hour plus free pick up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked her up today.

The dealer plugged the bike into their diagnostic computer and got a P1650 code, which for the life of me I have no idea what it means. Anyway....

The mechanic then lifted the tank and found a loose wire at the orangey brown plug underneath the tank and fixed it, and changed the spark plugs. Didn't fix the problem with the bike still only running on one cylinder though.

He then removed the tank and airbox and found everything connected properly. He disconnected the Power Commander, fitted everything back on, and the bike runs on both jugs now.

Could it be a wiring problem with the PCIII, or can they **** themselves in any way that will cause this??

Also, he didn't re-connect the oxygen sensors to the ecu, saying that it didn't matter if they were connected or not, so what's the point in having them then?? :dontknow:

Bike runs better than it did on one jug, but I don't think it's a patch on what it should be running like, it seems to be surging aroung 2500rpm and is sluggish to what I remember it being.

Oh to have a brain like Mr. Zoom....:super:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Unfortunately for most of us the connections we make in our garages
are not as good and don't last as long as factory made connections.

As soon as you said it couldn't be your PCIII and it had run 3 years
on it with no problem is when I figured that was the problem.

I work on electronics (newer copiers and printers) and I know my
connections won't hold a candle to 99.9% of those the factory
wires up.

If I were you I'd start all over with your PCIII and redo (solder)
all the connections. And if the PCIII isn't bad, not as likely but
possible, I'll bet it runs just fine.

Good luck
Jeff / Foo

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,958 Posts
Chucky, I responded to your PM but forgot to address the PO1650 code. That's the same as a C42, which is an Ignition Switch Circuit Malfunction. Basically the ECM isn't seeing the switch being turned on, or the ECM has a malfunction. I can't believe that would be the actual code since the bike is still starting and running.

That plug underneath the tank sounds like the fuel pump connector, so I would guess it was just loose but still making contact.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Some people have found a bad TPS connection. The connector that comes with the kit over time can cut the wire. Almost like the bike is running in the "limp" mode because it is not getting the TPS reading. If you have O2 sensors I would leave them connected. I wish we had them in the US.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the PCIII fully off today and re-hooked up the O2 sensors. Makes a huge difference having them connected. Still not quite right, but at least it isn't running as lean as it was and I'm not fretting about burning a hole in my pistons.

Can't see anything wrong with the PCIII wiring but I'm no expert on these things.

Might have to take Zoom's advice and get a Cobra.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on the saga...

Well the bike is running awful as ever, apparently way too rich.

I got a Techlusion TFI and have done a lot of tinkering but it's still running like a dog. I have tried the settings from 1 (off) up to 3.5 on the first pot, not much difference.

A lot of surging, spluttering and hesitating, and a lot of noise coming from the airbox.

Also a lot of carbon in the front cylinder exhaust (the one that dropped the injector in the first place.)

Took her to the shop a week ago and it appears that she's running way too rich, from the appearance of the spark plugs anyway. The guy there is blaming it on the TFI, but she was awful before that or I wouldn't have spent the NZ$300 on getting one.

He says he'll have to disconnect the TFI to check the ECU and put it back to stock, but I think that there may be some other cause for the problem.

Just wondering, perhaps if the throttle position wires were sufficiently damaged by the PCIII connectors, could there somehow be a signal being sent that is making her run too rich?? No FI light indicating a problem but it's just my non-mechanical pondering.

Any other thoughts?? I'm about ready to put a match to it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,958 Posts
Chucky, are you sure both plugs in the front cylinder are firing? It only takes one that isn't to carbon up the cylinder and make it run badly. A plug could be bad, the plug wire not firmly attached, a coil gone bad, etc. Maybe when they changed the plugs and removed the PCIII they fixed one problem and created another?

It really sounds like it's running in limp mode too. They go to a full rich condition and won't rev above a certain rpm, around 3500 rpm if I remember correctly. But if that's the case it should be showing a code.

The TPS connector doesn't carry much voltage, it just sends a variable resistance reading to the ECU. I don't see it being damaged enough to still function but poorly and not set a light, as long as it's not shorted out where the connection was being made. You could disconnect it and start the bike to see if it then sets a light, which would verify it's working. Or do the "diagnostics connector" with a paper clip and see if the indicator in the speedo cluster moves. Right above the fuel gauge a dashed line will progress as you open the throttle if the TPS is sending out a signal.

BTW, can you describe the noise that is coming from the airbox, and is it from the outside filters or the underseat box?

Other than that, since the problem was there with the PCIII, somewhat without it, and still there with the Techlusion, it may be a bad ECU. Or bad connection at the ECU. There's a bunch of them on it but you could start checking to see if something isn't fully plugged in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The noise is coming from the box under the tank, a bit like it's exhusting thru there as well as the pipes. A symptom of running rich??

Definitely worse at higher revs.

No error code is the conundrum, as I figure there should be one if the TPS wires were cut completely from the PCIII connections.

The shop spent 3.5 hours just taking it for rides and checking the plug colour. This is getting expensive fast.

I just can't see why it's going rich with no error code, and the K&N's and pipes should be leaning it. As I said, the mechanic is blaming the TFI and not too interested in anything else yet. It's a suzuki shop so they should know what they are doing, hopefully.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,958 Posts
The only sound you should hear from the air box is the slight sucking noise from the engine drawing air. And you hear that through the outside air boxes if you have open filters. Other than that, you get the noise of the fuel pump priming on startup, and the STCV bellows moving when you shut it off. Rich or lean shouldn't make any noise unless it's backfiring through it, and that would be a popping noise.

I'm wondering if maybe you have a vacuum hose loose, or maybe a PAIR valve hose is disconnected? A vacuum hose would make a sucking sound, and the PAIR valve would let you hear some exhaust noise. Neither should make it run rich though. But if you admit enough air in via a vacuum leak, it will be so lean the cylinder can't fire and what fuel that is in there will show up as carbon since it's too lean to burn.

If you can find someone that has a digital infrared thermometer, see if you can get a reading of how hot the front and rear head pipes are running. If the front is really rich it will be colder than the rear. Or if it's not firing at all it will be colder.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You might have something there, because the exhaust from the front cylinder was nowhere near as hot as the exhaust from the rear cylinder.

I have had the airbox off so many times now it isn't funny, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a hose somewhere that has come loose.

It is firing to some degree because after the intial problem, I have some idea of how the bike performs on one cylinder, and that ain't pretty

Hopefully the guys in the shop will pick it up when they take it off to take off the TFI.

This is doing my head in...

Thanks for the help Zoom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts