M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I just got my pipes put on, picked it up from the dealer and driving home stoped for gas 93 oct. started my bike back up (well tried it didn't take a first but if I rev it it came to life) After it started the FI light came on and now willn't go back off. Still having a hard time starting my bike. Any ideas?

Thanks
Heather

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just put on the same pipes and have ridden quite a bit with them. No FI light or issues with poor starting or running either. I did it myself, hopefully the dealer didn't screw anything up. I was very careful with the solenoid that the stock exhaust cables were attached to.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Looks like there was a problem either with the pipes or the install by the dealer. The SET valve stripped out..

·
Registered
514 Posts
From looking at the cobra web site, looks to me these replace the SET valve (ful system).... this means to eliminate the F/I light you must pull the black wire, with a brown strib and green rings from teh ECU conector. That will take care of the set error. Now, you may also need to do something with the set servo motor wires....... it all depends on if the servo unit was removed ot not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The system does replace the SET, but it retains the servo. Just had to switch out one part on the servo which was included with the Cobra pipes.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Well something is amuck..

The bike will barely run and some servo has stripped gears..

The dealer was on the phone with Cobra earlier..

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I think Heather had a melt down.

I called her cell a few minutes ago and she ain't answering. She has a big road trip coming up and was prepping the bike to tow it along. Now this may throw a wrench into her plans on going to Sturgis... :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A huge wrench in the plans in fact now I will not be leaving NC for some time. What happened is the EXCVA (Exhaust Control Valve Actuator) Gear stripped 3 teeth in less then 20 miles of riding. If you pop that box open you will find a plastic gear, (don't do this from my understanding if you open this box your bike will never start again until you get a new one (cost 341.00$ and on back order so god knows when I'll get one.)

Well when the eng that was working on this bike and put on the new pipes he popped the box open and saw that the gear was missing 3 teeth. Not good!!!!

Dealer is blaming Cobra, and cobra is blaming dealer, and I'm am still paying the cost!!!!

Now how do I get one of them to cop to the issue, can I ether the deal or Cobra to pay for the new EXCVA and the replacement of it. I like the pipes and the dealer but I can't tell what one is telling me the truth. I was thinking of getting a 3rd party to look at it but I don't have a 3rd party to go to and this is the only dealer that agreed to work on this bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cobrausa.com

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Wonder if someone that has replaced their exhaust may have this part laying around in the garage?

Anyone have this part?

·
Registered
314 Posts
You should not buy that actuator as you no longer have a set to actuate.  Follow instructions on disconnecting the wire that sends set position to ecu. Sounds like the dealer didn't adjust cables properly. Your bike thinks the set valve is at a incorrect position.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool thank you everything is working, I didn't understand exactly what that box did but talked to Cobera and they did explain it to me. Cobra runs open :redfaced: Bike is running just fine no FI light and all is good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts