M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a check on the M109R "FI control unit" price, (also called an ICM or ECM by some,) and was shocked at it's extavagant price as compared with others. Why??? Here are the prices that I dug up for competing big bikes that have FI:

Suzuki M109r ------ $955.00 & $1,015.00
Kawasaki VN2000 -- $622.00
Honda VTX -------- $514.00
Yamaha Roadliner -- $465.00

I see that the M109R does provide service codes though. Is this courtesy of the FI control unit, and that is why it is more expensive? How common is failure of this unit? (Hopefully next to never.)

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,037 Posts
It's a 32 bit unit and most others are 16 bit. It's capable of carrying a lot more programming and controlling the fuel injection more precisely than other units. I don't think that justifies the cost, but there's nothing else to replace it with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 32 bit unit and most others are 16 bit. It's capable of carrying a lot more programming and controlling the fuel injection more precisely than other units. I don't think that justifies the cost, but there's nothing else to replace it with.
Well, at least your getting more for your money, but I would sure do anything that I could to protect this pricey module. Seems like I've heard before of one or two Honda riders who believed in wrapping that little booger with aluminum foil to protect it from various energies which could potentially disable it. I do know of one guy who warmed up his ICM in a microwave oven (!!!), thinking that the unit was so cold one frigid morning, that this low temperature of the ICM would affect it's function. It was not a good idea, as the microwave oven ruined his unit! (Erased the board memory?)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is your unit broken?
If yes I would like to get my hands on a broken unit to play around with it.

If there is any body else out there with a spare unit, I would love to hear from you

ride save

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your unit broken?
If yes I would like to get my hands on a broken unit to play around with it.

If there is any body else out there with a spare unit, I would love to hear from you

ride save
Hi. I don't even own either 109 yet, but came here to investigate the models in general. One way I did this was to perform a random check on just how much replacement parts would be, and stumbled upon the high cost of the 109 FI Unit, or ECM. This thing happened to be worse than all the other metric ECM's were, but as "Zoom" said, it apparently is also capable of performing more than they do. On the other hand, I did find that Suzuki OEM parts tended to be less than Kawasaki parts, as they tended to be the highest of the 4 big metrics, but I didn't compare/check hundreds of parts either, as that would take me longer than I have years left to ride.;)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hi. I don't even own either 109 yet, but came here to investigate the models in general. One way I did this was to perform a random check on just how much replacement parts would be, and stumbled upon the high cost of the 109 FI Unit, or ECM. This thing happened to be worse than all the other metric ECM's were, but as "Zoom" said, it apparently is also capable of performing more than they do. On the other hand, I did find that Suzuki OEM parts tended to be less than Kawasaki parts, as they tended to be the highest of the 4 big metrics, but I didn't compare/check hundreds of parts either, as that would take me longer than I have years left to ride.;)
I don't think the FI unit (ecm) has been a problem on the 109 to speak of.

Some broken clutch cables and drive line problems is what to watch for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts