M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm going to pick up a M109R in the near future. Finally decided to trade in my sport-touring for a full cruiser. Few questions I'm having trouble researching, if anyone would mind answering :) -What is the M109R2k9? Looking at the official website, there only appears to be the standard M109R, so I take it there are no real sub-models? 2k9 = 2009? Is there a meaning for that? -Are there year models to avoid? Any major problems or upgrades for some year models? -How effective is the highly slanted windscreen (short one)? I love the look of the 9, but I've had a cruiser years back (no screen) and would get a good ab work out just staying upright on the freeway. I'd hate to destroy the style of the 9 with a giant windscreen :( -I've found a pic of some hard saddlebags that ride low and conform around the blinkers. No name brand attached, anyone know these? I think that's about it. I'm trying to nail down what year models to look for used, then getting one. Appreciate any info!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hi all. I'm going to pick up a M109R in the near future. Finally decided to trade in my sport-touring for a full cruiser. Few questions I'm having trouble researching, if anyone would mind answering :) -What is the M109R2k9? Looking at the official website, there only appears to be the standard M109R, so I take it there are no real sub-models? 2k9 = 2009? Is there a meaning for that? -
First, :welcome:

Never heard of an R2K9, but there is an M109R2. It has a different headlight.

Are there year models to avoid? Any major problems or upgrades for some year models? -
No major changes from 2006 to 2010. Many identical part numbers. Some plastic parts went metal. Some metal parts went plastic. Basicaly they are all the same.

As for common problems, the most frequently discussed is to hit 2nd gear in a rush, you must shift like you mean it. Personally, I think this is the lack of a neutral lock and they are just missing 2nd gear before letting the clutch out, which can cause actual problems with the clutch and 2nd gear. Coming from Harleys with no neutral lock, the hard shift to 2nd gear is natural to me.

How effective is the highly slanted windscreen (short one)? I love the look of the 9, but I've had a cruiser years back (no screen) and would get a good ab work out just staying upright on the freeway. I'd hate to destroy the style of the 9 with a giant windscreen :( -
Not sure what you are talking about here. Post a picture so we get it right for you.

I've found a pic of some hard saddlebags that ride low and conform around the blinkers. No name brand attached, anyone know these? I think that's about it. I'm trying to nail down what year models to look for used, then getting one. Appreciate any info!
95% sure you are talking about the Corbin bags. Very pricey but they do fit very well.

Good luck in your search. Now is a great time to buy.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
:welcome: when you get it hit me up so we can ride.spend some time here and search for ur answers there are many different points of views to ur questions...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Be careful of the corbin bags, they will leak

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
:welcome:
Do you want looks or performance first? I say the first mod should be an Fi2000r which really helps performance. I would skip the bags and windhsield.

·
Registered
913 Posts
2K9= 2009

You wont get an ab workout trying to stay up. Ive never had a windshield on my bike and prob never will. I ride one handed at speeds over 80mph. So I have no problem staying up. If you a jacket and a half helmet, you will get a lot of hemet lift. The wind will hit ur jacket and go straight up, pushing ur helmet up. Thats why some wear full face helmets, including myself.

You will have problems with every bike. The clutch on these bikes suck big dic*, should of been a hydraulic clutch. Other than that, 2nd gear shift forks in the 06 & 07 models like square rounder stated. If you do preventive maintenance and stay on top of you bike, it will last you for a very long time.

Good luck and congrats

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
2K9= 2009
Ok, makes a little sense.

I would like to protest though.

Y2Kwas the first I recall of that kind of liberties taken,

but if 2k is 2000, then how the F is 2K9 2009?

Wouldn't 2K9 be 20,009?

:cus:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the corbin bags as well and they are top notch. No issues. No leaks. Mine is not a garage queen either I ride in all kinds of weather. I picked mine up used for half the price of new and I did notice the previous owner said the lids didn't line up right. Turns out the hardware was loose I snugged everything up and pinched my seals back on good and they have been great since. I don't think there's better bags for this bike.

Nate

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The shorter, slanted windshields in pics 1-2. How effective are they? On my previous cruiser with no windshield, it was hell over 70 mph, wind trying to fold me over backwards.

3rd pic, the saddlebags there. I want to get hardcases with locks. Unless there is some most excellent leather bags that are lockable and hard(er) to break into (realize you can get into any bag).

The 109R2 is the cowled headlight (like pics)?

Sry for the 2K9 confusion, but for some damn reason, cycletrader and other sites have "109R, 109R2, 109R2K9" listed.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ok, makes a little sense.

I would like to protest though.

Y2Kwas the first I recall of that kind of liberties taken,

but if 2k is 2000, then how the F is 2K9 2009?

Wouldn't 2K9 be 20,009?

:cus:
If I told you a price of something is $2k, would you think it was $20,000. That would be $20K. So 2K9 would equal two thousand nine, or 2009.

Makes sense to me

The 109R2 is the cowled headlight (like pics)?

Sry for the 2K9 confusion, but for some damn reason, cycletrader and other sites have "109R, 109R2, 109R2K9" listed
I dont know much about windshields or hard saddle bags. I have some cortech sport bags, good enough for weekend trips for me.

The R2 is the no cowl headlight. Its just a round headlight with a chrome trim around it. The M109R has the headlight nacel.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If I told you a price of something is $2k, would you think it was $20,000. That would be $20K. So 2K9 would equal two thousand nine, or 2009.

Makes sense to me
No, $2k ="2000"

but then why does 2k9 = 2009 and not "2000"9?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was just looking at my title and it says model m109rk6 / vzr1800k6
I can almost bet a 2007 will say k7 at the end and 08 will say k8 at the end etc

That's prolly where the websites are showing the other models from

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Say it just as you read it. Two thousand nine. Not twenty thousand nine.
I get it.

I am just protesting it.

2k9 saves one key stroke over writing out 2009, which communicates a point much more effectively.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Ya do have a tendency to get yer knickers in a twist some times son :evil:-----maybe it means two dogs....2K9....:dontknow: :a20:

I know I can be overly sensitive to the use of particular words. Consider what I do and add to that my mind just refuses to accept needless waste.

I know in this texting world, language is getting trimmed down. But the other day, I actually had to stop a friend who said "B T W" instead of "by the way". She protested for a moment that BTW was faster. I replied that typeing BTW may be faster than typing by the way, but verbally, B T W is 4 syllables and by the way is only 3.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts