M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, So I have dropped my bike 2 inches and now I feel every bump in the road I have on stock tires front and back. ( I have also put on some 2inch KewlMetal Risers) is there any tire change I can do to ease this feeling a little? I am going to buy 260 Metz for the rear because now in the curves I feel the back tire sliding out from under me ever more (I know it isn't though) but what about the front? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lowered mine 2" last year, and feels the same way.....it's worth the sacrifice.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It definitely looks good but can I change the front and eliminate some of the bumps?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I think you need to look at other things that may have changed.

Lowering the bike with bones keeps you at the exact same place on the shock. It is not like preloading a shock so it will feel stiffer. The rear is exactly as stiff as if was without lowering. The thing that changed is clearance when the shock is bottomed out.

That said, there is a slight change in the relative rake of the front end, but that change should actually make you feel less in a bump.

Look at how you are sitting with it lowered. You will naturally try to keep the same ride angle and maybe that is putting you on a part of your seat that is not as worn in.

Try adjusting your shock setting and checking to make sure you do not have too much air in your tires. These are the more likely culprit of your ride change.

good luck.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I lowered 2 1/4" and noticed no discernable change in ride quality. However, when I swtiched to a 250 tire it really raised the seat height back up (or at least it felt like it).

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I think the difference is in people's heads.

They expect it to change, so they notice changes.

The mechanics of the suspension do not change by adding bones. You simply move the wheel along the exact same compression scenario.

Until you hit the fender, it is exactly the same.

Test it. Set something heavy on the seat before installing the bones and measure the bike's drop from the weight. Do the same after installing the bones. I did and it is exactly the same.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

They expect it to change, so they notice changes.

The mechanics of the suspension do not change by adding bones. You simply move the wheel along the exact same compression scenario.

Until you hit the fender, it is exactly the same.

Test it. Set something heavy on the seat before installing the bones and measure the bike's drop from the weight. Do the same after installing the bones. I did and it is exactly the same.
Yeah I think it is in my head, like when I changed my risers to the 2inch Kewl Metals and even though I checked and they are leveled it looks at if they aren't and like I am pulling to the left but after I while it didn't and I realized okay this is all in my head.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
LOL. That's probably true. I had 2-1/2" bones on my M50 and have 1-1/2" bones my M109 and didn't notice the "bumps" anymore than before. I always run my preload setting on 4 and it works great for my weight. Not too stiff and not too soft..............(that's what she said :eek:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Lowered mine 2 1/4 inch feels exactly the same, that is to say still hard over the bumps, got my 109 brand new and remember riding home and crossing the white lines and thinking "god" this thing feels every slight bump, got used to it now, but when i ride my tdm850 i think ahhhh what a lovely smooth ride, the perfect scenario is i drive a jaguar and my son drives a corsa vxr (jag) like my tdm.....(vxr) like my 109...:bigthumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts