M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
This really depends on exactly what the OP's idea of a "Fat" front tire is.

Most guys are just mounting a 160 tire on the stock front rim as said above.

But Meancycles does offer what they call a Fat Front tire kit to increase your front tire size to 160.
It consist of a new front rim that is 17 x 4.25 with a 160 tire mounted on it. (See link directly below) This is technically the correct way to add a 160 front tire to a M109R, but those of us on a budget are just shoehorning the 160 onto the stock rim.

Meancycles also has another "Fat Front Tire Kit" that will allow you to increase the front tire to a 240.
This is typically what most of us think of when you say "Fat Front Tire Kit".
You must change the triple tree, rim, fender and axel to acclimate this mod.
The front rim is 18 x 8.5 inch with this kit.
(See link directly below)

BCS

·
Registered
370 Posts
YEP JUST GET A 160 ON THERE! :cool:

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
And remember to mount the tire backwards.
Just to clarify, the blanket statement by Joe RC51 above does not apply to all tires.
You may want to mount a 160 that was manufacture as a "REAR" tire backwards, if you are using it as a front tire.
However there are some 160 tires that are manufactured as true front tires, which would be mounted and run in the true/correct rotation as specified on the tire by the manufacture and you would not want/need to flip them around backwards.

BCS

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just to clarify, the blanket statement by Joe RC51 above does apply to all tires.
You may want to mount a 160 that was manufacture as a "REAR" tire backwards, if you are using it as a front tire.
However there are some 160 tires that are manufactured as true front tires, which would be mounted and run in the true/correct rotation as specified on the tire by the manufacture, which you would not want/need to flip them around backwards.

BCS
I've never seen a 160 front.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I've never seen a 160 front.
Glad you quoted me because I noticed I neglected to put the word "Not" when saying your statement does not apply to all tires. (I corrected that in my original post so it does not cause confusion to anyone reading this in the future) :)

One example of a true 160/60-18 front tire is the Michelin Scorcher 11, which is the front tire I am running at the moment.

BCS

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Here are 2 others that are true 160/60-18 front tires.

BCS

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
It really smooths out thinks like railroad tracks, and if you live in an area where they put rain grooves in the road, it smooths them out too. It does make the steering feel a little bit heavier, but I think it holds a line in curves better. I ran the 160 for two tires, or about 4 years, then last year went to a 150. I like it too as a balance between the 130 and 160.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts