M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone thinking about doing the Coleman Powersports Fall Foliage Ride from their stores in Woodbridge and Falls Church to Graves Mt. this year?

I did the ride last year and left my house at about 9:00am and returned about 6:00pm. The ride goes within a few miles of an extremely curvey stretch of Rt. 211 with some very steep grade if people are interested in doing a short detour. Two years ago I heard a cruiser was killed on that stretch of road due to another car crossing the line coming from around a blind turn (at least that is what I was told).

The ride leaves around 10:00-10:30 from the stores. I can't speak to the primary route but the group I was riding with took scenic route 55 which parralels Rt. 66 all the way out to Front Royal where we met up with the other group (from Falls Church) at the McDonalds on Rt. 340/522 located near exit 6 off of Rt. 66. We then proceeded South on Rt. 522 down to Rt. 211 where they meet up very near Little Washington and headed west a few miles to Rt. 231 south I believe. From there we headed several more miles south and eventually turned off onto the road leading up to Graves Mt. It is the same weekend that Graves Mt. does a huge Apple Festival so there were probably several thousand cars there as well as a several hundred to a thousand plus Motorcycles from all over the area as far south as the Richmond, VA area.

The official information for this ride (what there is) can be found on the Coleman Powersports website at http://www.wherethepoweris.com/

-Tim

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Looks interesting, but on the 14th I'm headed up to Gatlinburg, TN for fall color there. Then back home and possibly done to Bikefest if I have someone to ride with.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ryan,

If you keep going west on 211 instead of turning south on 231 its about 7-10 miles to the gap where you can get on Skyline Drive. If you enter there its like mile marker 35-39 I believe. If you get on the drive and head south to mile marker 51.5 which is where Big Meadows is you would be on the next mountain northwest of Graves Mountain. As the crow flies Graves Mountain is like 5-8 miles from Big Meadows.

It's pretty cool because I have been to Hoover's summer white house (Rapidan Camp) which is very near Graves Mountain several times and they talk of the nearby townspeople. Well, I can't remember the name of that town but you pass through it on the way up to Graves Mountain. You also pass a river fork where I believe the Rapidan river meets up with another river.

If anyone is interested in a cool hike, there is a place called BearFence somewhere around mile marker 60-something The trail is like 300 yards to the start of BearFence which is mostly little bursts of rock scrambling. If you follow it all the way to the end you better have your camera with you because the view is incredible - especially around sunset. It's probably one of the best spots I have found, with the top of Stoney Man Mountain (out on the rocks) being another. I travel with my family a few times per year up to Big Meadows Lodge and we do lots of hiking and exploring. It's a great place to bring kids, and can be refreshing in the summer as it's approximately 10-12 degrees cooler up there at 3000+ feet. We always see dozens of deer on each trip. We have seen bear, turkey, deer, eagles, hawks, chipmunks, and probably many other types of wildlife along our travels up there.

-Tim

·
Registered
273 Posts
I will have to check my schedule to see what is going on but I might be able to do this ride. I am just outside of Richmond. So this would make a nice all day ride. The wife has a surgery coming up and it's not scheduled yet until she sees one more doctor so that might prevent me from going. The mountains are definitely a gourgeous view though and I hope I can make it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Tim, if the weather is good I would say that I'm there. Would you want to meet up somewhere or at one of the dealers? Let me know.
Ryan :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in Fredericksburg va and another 109 rider lives a few houses up from me. I am interested in participating. I will check with the other 109 rider as well. I have been meaning to take a ride up 211 through Speryville and Little Washington.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I ride those rodes all the time. I live in gainesvilles. Found a great cut through about 9 miles after you go over the mountain and the "twisties" there is a neat bike shop just before new market. You make a left just after that shop (right next to the parking lot, I went in and they actually told me about it). It takes you along the river, over a couple of bluffs and down through the valley. It's the George washington national forrest and man is it beautiful and best of all NO CARS! I'd thought I'd share that.

As for the ride, if I'm not busy it sounds good. I'd prefer to ride with a splinter group though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would totally prefer to do the ride as a small group as well. Perhaps I could meet up with Ryan and anyone else in the Maryland or No.Va area somewhere around the Braddock Road exit off of the beltway. We might want to consider heading down Braddock Rd to Centreville and then cutting over to 29 and then down to 55. Speed limit most of the way will be 45-55 and there are minimal lights as compared to Rt. 50 or 29 east of Centreville. Alternatively, if we want to make some time we can just get back on the beltway and hit 66 west.

For those of you coming from Fredericksburg we could meet up about an hour later at the McDonalds in Marshall near where 17 and 55 intersect. From about a mile west of there, I think there is a shortcut (Crest Hill Road) which will cut us over to 522 very near where it meets up with 211. We have to be careful in this part of 211, lots of radar traps between Little Washington and Sperryville. If we just follow 211 straight over the gap, we will be in New Market in about 20 miles and then Brawler can show us his twisties through the mountains.

-Tim

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds really inviting...

dilbertian said:
... The ride goes within a few miles of an extremely curvey stretch of Rt. 211 with some very steep grade if people are interested in doing a short detour. Two years ago I heard a cruiser was killed on that stretch of road due to another car crossing the line coming from around a blind turn (at least that is what I was told).
... but I think I'll have to pass this time. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts