M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought my 07 le and love the bike but hate the shifting! bought the factory pro kit but cant seem to find bigpoppas pic guide for the install in any of my searches.. can someone give me a little help before I tackle this project please

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
since some of how-to's on bigpapa's linkpage don't show pictures, PM me if you would like me to email you the pdf file. i have it saved and it shows the pictures in the how-to.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Factory Pro Shift Kit

What does the Pro shift kit do for the shifting. I thought the problem was the cut on the gear? I guess I am confused as to where the problem lies with the second gear !!!!:dontknow:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
What does the Pro shift kit do for the shifting. I thought the problem was the cut on the gear? I guess I am confused as to where the problem lies with the second gear !!!!:dontknow:
the shift kit basically makes the bike shift a little quicker. it does not help smooth it out if you are having issues with shift forks.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
It makes for a shorter throw and also makes for a more positive engagement. Now if your 9 is already slipping out of 2nd gear, this kit will not help. However, I personally believe this kit may prevent problems if your bike isn't currently having them.....ounce of prevention, pound of cure type thing. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help guys, did the shift kit this evening and it went off without a hitch, much easier than I thought, took 45 minutes including oil change. cant wait till morning to try it out, thanks

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Shift kit

Let us know if you feel an instant improvement....I am considering this also..:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
put 50 miles on this morning and have to say I have mixed feelings on the kit. thows between gears are much shorter and possitive feeling, but the 1st to 2nd problem seems to be about the same:mad: still clunks hard (no missed shifts though)leaves me wondering if there is anything else I can do to fix this ? still on the fence if this attemted fix was worth the $ for the results. any ideas of other possible fixes for the 1st to 2nd problem ?

·
Registered
913 Posts
put 50 miles on this morning and have to say I have mixed feelings on the kit. thows between gears are much shorter and possitive feeling, but the 1st to 2nd problem seems to be about the same:mad: still clunks hard (no missed shifts though)leaves me wondering if there is anything else I can do to fix this ? still on the fence if this attemted fix was worth the $ for the results. any ideas of other possible fixes for the 1st to 2nd problem ?
The factory pro doesnt fix the clunk from first to second. All it does is make your shift pulling a little shorter. If you compared your stock star to the factory pro star, you would notice that the peaks on the factory pro star are shorter and more rounded. Meaning less effort to switch between gears. Its does exactly that.

The only way to get rid of the clunkiness, is to tear apart your tranny, upgrade your shift forks, and backcut your gears

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
The factory pro doesnt fix the clunk from first to second. All it does is make your shift pulling a little shorter. If you compared your stock star to the factory pro star, you would notice that the peaks on the factory pro star are shorter and more rounded. Meaning less effort to switch between gears. Its does exactly that.

The only way to get rid of the clunkiness, is to tear apart your tranny, upgrade your shift forks, and backcut your gears
It also has a stronger spring, but you can do that with your stock spring.

I agree on the clunkiness. Either be content with shifting it below 2500 rpm or do something internally to fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts