M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on redoing my plastics this winter. Does anyone have any advice, know of any sites, or have anything with a step by step tutorial? I know some people that can do it, but i hate other people touching my 9. So i am trying to do it all myself. Lot of good i deas on this site, but couldn't find anyone leave instructions about this. Thanks to :pop::beer2:all with suggestions.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Planning to do some fabrication myself, but this is hardly something I could give you a simple how to on. Let me know what you have in mind and I will see if it is something I can walk you through.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to make some simple small and sleek saddlebags that go with e the 9 s sophisticated contour, (Can't carry my Smif & Wessun everywhere, they pat u dwn at parties sometimes), and I wanted to put some extra vents in the front, (which i prob could figure that out), and i want some vampire teeth on my front cowel.

·
Registered
800 Posts
OCC just fabricated a FBI Chopper and there storage compartment was buy spliting the tank in 2 halfs, with 2 fold down sides "left and right". Holding handcuffs and gun inside...

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
if you have to ask how to do it, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Most certainly you should practice on something else first.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Practice off the bike first.

Start with something you are not going to miss if you mess it up.

Your picture of your bike has aftermarket intakes.

If you still have your salad bowls, they are a great little project to reproduce.

Once you can copy an existing object, then you just need to learn to sculpt original objects as plugs to copy in the exact same fashion.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
wax, clay, playdough, wire, string, skewers, paint sticks, paper mache, tape, zip ties, plaster, ...

All materials I keep around for plug and mold making.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
ill pick those up next week when i get my rent check. I appreciate it Square. Another reason why i love this site.
You do not necessarily need all of those. My point was more that whatever you can get your hands on to hold the shape you want will do the trick.

Personally, paper mache is easy to make and easy to work with. You can do just about anything with it and cleaning up is as easy as soap and water.

I also love to use fiberglass drywall seam tape.

·
Registered
665 Posts
True, but i'm all about trial and error. I learn faster that way, even though it could cost me more than i want to spend. i'm hard headed.
And it will more than double the sastisfactions when the job is done.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Any progress?

I have been doing a bit of plug making on a fairing for my bike.

I am now in the process of covering it with bondo so that I have a rigid smooth surface to take a casting of.

I wanted to mention that to you because bondo was not on my prior list of fabricating supplies and it definitely should be.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
:agree:....make molds from parts you want to "ruin" and play with the materials-tools given below...

wax, clay, playdough, wire, string, skewers, paint sticks, paper mache, tape, zip ties, plaster, ...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No progress yet. Apparently i will be working on evicting some crappy tenants out my house first. :verymad: Rent late and they not answering phone. Single income not enough to pay mortgage rent and bills. as soon as i get it though i will be putting in work and keep you updated with pics and stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts