M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Sunday I took my wife out for a ride. I had just made a left turn on a state numbered route about 2 miles from the house. I shifted to second and felt something funny. Went for third and the cable let go. Was able to get us home in second gear. Need to call the dealer now since I bought the extended warrantee on the bike. Will update results.
Jerry

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If the dealer won't cover the cable it is a really simple job. Good luck

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm glad You and Your Wife made it home safely, I thought You just had Your bike serviced,there suppose to check for wear & grease the clutch cable. Well I hope they take care of it for You. Good Luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JD. You are right. I spoke to TORQ yesterday since he just replaced his and he sent me a how to that Hink posted in the past. It doesn't look hard to do.

BTW, How long have you been at Leonard Wood. I will bet there have been many many changes since I did my basic training there in 1969.

Jerry

·
Registered
918 Posts
Mine snapped while shifting to third while headed to the Dragon week before last. We were riding 14 deep and a couple of the guys had the presence of mind to bring along additional cables. I was back on the road within 30 minutes. I've already put in an order for an additional cable to carry along with me. And ordered another for the guy who lent me his. Hope Suzuki replaces it and doesn't use the excuse of excessive wear . . .

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Thanks JD. You are right. I spoke to TORQ yesterday since he just replaced his and he sent me a how to that Hink posted in the past. It doesn't look hard to do.

BTW, How long have you been at Leonard Wood. I will bet there have been many many changes since I did my basic training there in 1969.

Jerry
1969 well I'm not sure what was here then, but I know all the WWII barracks were torn down around 2004 while I was here my first time, there are only a couple still standing for museum purposes. St Bob and WaynesVegas have blown up since 2000 when I was here for basic.

·
Registered
853 Posts
For all this has happened too... Where does it break? Is it up by the clutch perch? I look at mine before every ride because you all have got me paranoid. 8)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
For all this has happened too... Where does it break? Is it up by the clutch perch? I look at mine before every ride because you all have got me paranoid. 8)
That is where my barnett (older design) started to fray, but the newer barnetts (version 4 I believe now) have the oem style ferrel that is less prone to snapping due to the design putting less tension on the actual cable. If you don't have any frays in it you would be safe checking it weekly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine broke at the engine side. I think TORQs did also. I think it's a bad design. The 9 has a lot of torque and the cable just can't handle it over the long run. My 9 has 14,500 miles and Torq I think had around 22,000 miles when his broke.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
sorry to hear the bad news jerry I think I am going to order one just to be safe especially with the VA trip coming up

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm glad You and Your Wife made it home safely, I thought You just had Your bike serviced,there suppose to check for wear & grease the clutch cable. Well I hope they take care of it for You. Good Luck.
BOB!!!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh
hahahahhahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

OMG hahahahahahahh you think that the dealer does anything else but change the oil your killing me!!! NEVER LET THE STEALER TOUCH YOUR BIKE EVER!!!!!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I change my cable every 2 years because you never know when its going to break I wouldn't go longer than 3 at the most one mans opinion

Jerry sorry to hear about your bad luck on the road glad know one got hurt!!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My 07 broke if you want to call it that. I had it pull out of the barrel at the end of the cable. I think myself that the steelers should take care of it even if its not covered. If most brake that way. I'm going to drill the barrel out and stick the cable throw and flair it so when i sadder the end it can't come out. I think when they pull out like that it should be called defective.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wow

This must be a design flaw.

I got my bike about 3 months ago and I just broke my cable. 8100 miles and its broke.

I got the dealer to cover it and I also have a second cable coming in with the replacement.

I'm NOT gonna ride without a second cable.

I ride with 90% Harley riders so the chances of one of the guys having a replacement are nil.

It's gonna be 4 to 5 days for the cable to come in.

I'm already in withdrawals.

:doorag:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My bike was picked up by the dealer yesterday. They also told me 3-5 days till the new cable comes in. I know about the withdrawal symptoms too. It s**ks. I will probably order another cable from DLP to have a spare with me. The work is not going to cost me anything. Yes I did just get my baby back after the dealer did the 14500 mi service. As far as any fraying, no evidence of it since it broke at the engine end of the cable. It happened with no warning at all. So I won't get her back until Mon or Tues next week. So of the three most frequent problems people here have experienced, I've had 2 of them. Rear rotor, clutch cable. I just hope the tube nut stays on. I am glad I got the additional 4 yr extended warrantee. I don't usually buy those, but I figured it was the first year of a new model. If bikes are like the first year of a new car I expected some issues. Oh well, just have to roll with it I guess. I am also glad no one got hurt.
Jerry

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well its great to here that Your dealer is taking care of it, hopefuly when You get it back it will be sunny out. Sometimes on that cable its all on how its adjusted if its to tight it'll snap the end right off. The two quater drop is a great way to check the adjustment.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM ON ANY OF MY BIKES. I AM THINKING AS I READ ALL YOUR POST, WHAT IN FACT I SHOULD DO IF I WANT TO STOP SINCE I WILL NOT HAVE CONTROL OVER CLUTCH AND GEARS. SO BASICALLY YOU DRIVE TO THE SIDE SHOULDER AND KILL THE ENGINE BY STOPPING OR YOU KILL THE ENGINE ON THE ACTUATOR BUTTON AND ROLL NICELY TO THE SIDE.
IT IS NOT A NICE MOMENT IF YOU ARE ON THE HIGHWAY AND CARS ALL AROUND YOU.

WHAT DID YOU DO WHEN YOUR CABLE SNAPPED?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts