M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan to buy a 109 in Jan/Feb 2007 and was wondering if you guys went for this or not. I plan to handle general maintenance on my own, although I have not in the past.

Always felt the dealers around here (North Alabama) didn't care about you once you drove off the lot anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the dealer throw one in as part of the deal. Not normally my speed, but since it's a first year model (which I NEVER usually buy, but I HAD to have one of these beasts) I thought it might be a benefit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Chuck said:
Is this a genuine Suzuki warranty and honored by all Suzuki dealers??? :dontknow: :doorag:
I'm like you on this... I'll sell you a warranty, have fun trying to collect from it... The website don't give any details of the warranty at all...

If it's a legit warranty, pricing is not bad...

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
It says Suzuki...

Does anyones dealer here offer this type of buy online/on phone? I will be in the market after the new year.

Suzuki Extended Protection 501cc To 900cc (48 Month) #16792
Suzuki Extended Protection 501cc To 900cc (48 Month) RM AND RMX MODELS NOT ELIGIBLE
Only Suzuki motorcycles and ATVs are eligible for Suzuki Extended Protection
All Suzuki SEP must be purchased while the Suzuki Limited Warranty is in force
No coverage is allowed for vehicles used for racing or commericial purposes
48 Month total (12 month manufacture plus 36 months)

Free UPS GROUND shipping!

Details

Price: $340.99

Options

·
Registered
379 Posts
First I'd like to point out that I really am not well informed as to what is covered on the Suzuki M109R extended warranty. But I'll bet it is about the same as any automobile warranty. Which is to say that only major pieces are covered. And that is basically engine, transmission, and rearend. Usually an engine defect will show up quickly. Maybe within the first few hundred miles. Transmission or rear end defects may take a little longer to appear.

So my opinion on extended warranties is they are 99.9% a waste of hard earned doe. To give an example, I've been buying new cars and bikes for over 20 years now and I always refused the extended warranty. So far (knock on wood) I have never had regrets.

Also I have kept track of money saved over the years by avoiding extended warranties and I have saved more than the M109R cost.

Another thing to consider is if you do have a major failure during the extended warranty you are pretty much at the mercy of the repair facility as to who is at fault. Nobody really wants to do warranty work for the simple reason that warranty work doesn't pay as well as non warranty work.

Like I said , this is only my opinion and please don't make decisions based only on opinions. After all it's your money. You should spend it however it makes you feel right.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Have you ever owned a harley? Holy cats thats about the only time you get your money out of one. Talked to a guy i know down at the harley dealer, he was picking up his ride and said he had about $3000 worth of work done in the 4-years he had it. The cost of the plan was $1500 though. Not saying the suzuki needs one, but there are times when some rides require it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I sure got it, along with a wheels and tires protection plan. You never know what`s going to happen and it`s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probably will not be buying one, although 340.00 for 3 years is not bad. If you guys were having mega problems with the major parts of this beautiful bike, then probably so. Since the Suzuki 1 year warranty is unlimited mileage, I'll just have to put a lot miles on it the first year and then take my chances.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did not get an extended warranty. I generally have not found them to be advantageous enough. It really depends on your tolerance for risk and your longer term financial situation.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
red1951man said:
First I'd like to point out that I really am not well informed as to what is covered on the Suzuki M109R extended warranty. But I'll bet it is about the same as any automobile warranty. Which is to say that only major pieces are covered. And that is basically engine, transmission, and rearend. Usually an engine defect will show up quickly. Maybe within the first few hundred miles. Transmission or rear end defects may take a little longer to appear.

So my opinion on extended warranties is they are 99.9% a waste of hard earned doe. To give an example, I've been buying new cars and bikes for over 20 years now and I always refused the extended warranty. So far (knock on wood) I have never had regrets.

Also I have kept track of money saved over the years by avoiding extended warranties and I have saved more than the M109R cost.

Another thing to consider is if you do have a major failure during the extended warranty you are pretty much at the mercy of the repair facility as to who is at fault. Nobody really wants to do warranty work for the simple reason that warranty work doesn't pay as well as non warranty work.

Like I said , this is only my opinion and please don't make decisions based only on opinions. After all it's your money. You should spend it however it makes you feel right.
You need to buy better warranties.
I always get them on my cars as it is easier to budget up front and then just pay a $50 deductable. Nealry 100% of the stuff that is covered under the original warranty is covered on the extended. Just get the best one and ask for a list of exclusions.
They are mutch better at this than they used to be.
There have been some vehicles that the warranty paid for itself and others not. For me it is the peace of mind. I dont worry about breakdowns and when I sell them it is easy to do. When the people ask if its in good shape and you can say yes... and still has a warranty. Thats when you get your $$ back.

Sledzep

·
Registered
379 Posts
Seems to me the smart guy would take the money he would spend on a extended warranty and put it in a savings account instead. If there is a major expense in the future you will have the money available. Most likely you will never need to touch that doe. And when the would be extended warranty expires that money will be in your account instead of their account. Never touch that money, just keep adding to is as you refuse extended warranty offers. Be smart. How do you think rich people get rich. They do it by avoiding bad investments.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've never bought it, and have never needed it. However; It's relatively cheap when you shop around
so if it makes you sleep better at night, buy it.
Jer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Usually I don't get the extended warranty but this time they talked me into it. Once they told me that all my maintenance was free with no deductibals and unlimited oil changes, it kinda sparked my attention. I also get a 20% discount on accessories. The warranty is good until 2009.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
Plan to buy a 109 in Jan/Feb 2007 and was wondering if you guys went for this or not. I plan to handle general maintenance on my own, although I have not in the past.

Always felt the dealers around here (North Alabama) didn't care about you once you drove off the lot anyway.
North Alabama? Where at? I'm in Meridianville (35759). ridehard (on this board) is also from this area...but I believe he's in Huntsville. Btw, not sure about here (still new to area) but I've heard really AWESOME things about a metric dealer in Chattanooga.

I spent 1995-2005 in Murfreesboro, TN (www.sloansmotorcycle.com is huge there....) but my neighbor bought his VTX in Chattanooga because it was 2 hours away and the bike was priced $1500 lower. Chattanooga's still real close for me...so when I do get my 2nd bike (ain't getting rid of my 800) I'll be making the ride north.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
red1951man said:
Seems to me the smart guy would take the money he would spend on a extended warranty and put it in a savings account instead. If there is a major expense in the future you will have the money available. Most likely you will never need to touch that doe. And when the would be extended warranty expires that money will be in your account instead of their account. Never touch that money, just keep adding to is as you refuse extended warranty offers. Be smart. How do you think rich people get rich. They do it by avoiding bad investments.
Man, if I had that kind of fortitude I would be rich already! I would not still have the $$. As a matter of fact if you can save that well you should have bought cash (I did not) I now how to make money.. But I am no good at hanging onto it.

Although I doubt that $400 would cover a major expense most people will not need it.

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not far from you in NE Huntsville (New Market). I've emailed with ridehard before. He is south of Huntsville. Do you have a 109? Will be getting one the first of next year.

Southern Powersports just off Hwy 27 is that dealer in Chattanooga. They only sell Hondas, but they sell them cheaper than anyone else. That's where I'd buy one if I where going with a Honda. I was over in that area a few weeks ago and they have a brand new warehouse that had at least 2,000 bikes + 1,000 4 wheelers inside. Pretty amazing place. Parking lot was full of trailers with loaded bikes. People from all over (Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and elsewhere) where there buying.

Hamilton Alabama (about 2 hours away) sells the 109 the cheapest. (11,199.00)

backinthesaddle

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I bought the extended warranty from the dealer because of the first year issue. Only time will tell if this was a good purchase or not. I hope I never need it. The only reason I bought it was because you could finance it with the purchase.

All that being said, let me tell you a story. I bought my Camry after my lease ran out. I decided to buy an extended warranty for it and did my research online. I found a company that was highly rated and highly recommended. This company was Warranty Gold. Anyway, I ended up purchasing their Platinum protection plan for a sweet price that is given for new car purchases. Well, a couple years go by and I get this letter in the mail that says the company that administers or underwrites the policies for this company has gone bankrupt. Lucky me, I'm now out $800+ dollars and holding a warranty that isn't worth the piece of paper it's written on. Class action suit has been filed, but I haven't even wasted my time signing up because those suits are nothing more than a way to make lawyers a fat paycheck while the actual claimants don't get crap. If this sort of thing can happen to a company that was rated as one of the best warranty companies, it can happen to anybody... even the company that underwrites Suzuki's warranty. If the guys that write the checks go under, you can kiss your warranty good bye, no matter what company they were written for. Like I said, only time will tell if I made the right choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts