M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a jack similar to this on their 9? A local store has this one on sale now for $75 (rated for 1500 lbs.) I guess my biggest concern is how it will fit the bike and how sturdy it will be when up in the air. Any feed-back would be appreciated. (sorry, couldn't figure out how to make the picture bigger!)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
That looks similar to the harbour freight design minus the red paint (mine is yellow). I bought my jack from harbour freight this past winter and have used it almost every weekend and it is a great jack for the money (I bought mine for $70)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use the HF yellow jack as well. Similar to that one. It works great on bikes that don't have any exhaust under the bike, like I suspect the M109 would be. Take a look under you engine and see what the shape of the bottom of the motor is. If it is a relatively large flat area it will work great. Otherwise you will have to use some blocks of wood or some kind of shims to get it to sit on there. Guessing you can span the frame, which would be best. On the Shadow it is not much wider than the frame, so you have to be real careful about bumping it as you walk around or you could spin it right off the jack fairly easily.

They work great on the Raider, ok on the Shadow. Not at all on the ZRX. You can use them on the V65 and the ZL900 but ONLY if you don't mind jacking up on the pipes, which I don't really like. A centerstand is a better idea on bikes with exhaust under the engine.

I finally got a lift table at Easter and find that I use that jack less and less. About the only time now is for front tire changes, then it goes on the lift table anyway.

·
Registered
550 Posts
It looks exactly like mine that I got from Pep Boys for around that same money. It worked for awhile, but won't hold pressure now and is outside of it's one year warranty.

Go to Sears and get the Craftsman lift on sale now for $119.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have the same jack. It works great. After I lowered my bike, the jack would not slide under the frame. If your bike is lowered, you will need to put one of your tires up on a 2x4 or something in order to raise it up at least an inch. Cleaning and maintenance is much easier with the bike 18" off the ground. It is also relatively stable. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Use the same one myself, worked great for all my needs so far...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, if it's good enough for you guys, it's good enough for me. Took the advice offered here and picked one up today. Set it up and did a practice lift on the 9 . . . works great! And yeah, for you Canucks, it's on sale in Canadian Tire right now.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
I bought a Torin Big Red lift that looks just like that one at Pep Boys almost 3 years ago. I use it almost weekly and it still works fine.

I wish the base the bike sits on was a little wider as you have to position it just right to have very much of the pad hanging beyond the frame rails, but other than that it works great.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have a Craftsman that is simular to what you are posting and it works great. Got to find the right balance (front to back).

My Craftsman has three lockable height positions. If you are going to keep your bike on it for any extended time, get it off the shock and onto one of these lockable positions. The lift will last much longer if you do.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have a Craftsman that is simular to what you are posting and it works great. Got to find the right balance (front to back).

My Craftsman has three lockable height positions. If you are going to keep your bike on it for any extended time, get it off the shock and onto one of these lockable positions. The lift will last much longer if you do.
It saves the hydraulics, but it can also save your head if you are laying up underneath your bike. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
It saves the hydraulics, but it can also save your head if you are laying up underneath your bike. :bigthumbsup:
I have my doubts if the thing fell on your hard head it would even phase you. hehehehh:p

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the same jack but I paid an extra $40 for the really cool Craftsman stickers! LOL

I think they are all the same jack just painted and labeled different.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I've had a Sears version since 2006. I do not use it often, but when I do it works fine. The bike wiggles a little when up, and I suppose that is why they recommend you strap her down, which I do sometimes. I usually lift her up so I can do a good job cleaning the wheels, easier to clean them when you can spin them. For that I only lift it up until the wheels turn, no higher. If I do lift it higher, I definitely use the pin areas, and let the pressure out of the jack until ready to lower.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts