M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there going to be aftermarket exhaust that looks stock but sounds alot different? I like the stock look but really want the louder and deeper sound.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
bigmonty said:
If you like the stock look just debaffle the stock pipes. sounds deeper and louder
Quoted for truth... If you just want more sound, do like many others here have done. Take a 1/2" drill bit and drill 8 holes around the center pipe in the end of both pipes. This will sound much better by itself. If you want more sound, then take a long drill bit or a 1 1/4" hole saw with an extension and drill out 2 or 3 of the walls that are deep inside the center pipe. There are several threads on this mod. You will get to have your cake and eat it too. Stock pipe looks with aftermarket pipe sound. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Guys I have a question for you if you dont mind. I drilled out (Using a hole saw) 2 plates on my 109 through the existing baffle/pipe. I did not drill the third plate on each pipe. My impression is that it slowed me down?????

It just does not seem to jump when I got on it the way it did prior to the exhaust mod.

I dont have a FI 2000 or anything attached to my bike. I did make the JSD-3M mod prior to the exhaust work.

Is it my imagination or do I have to get somesort of FI modifier???

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but if back pressure was not important to the design they would not have included a set valve. I'm all for better sound too but seems to me by modifying the back pressure from the way it was tuned wont help performance. I could see if it was airflow starved on the exhaust side like probably the typical Harley's are and I know my wife's Vstar is. But this one came rolling off the line to be a performer not just a platform to soak you for aftermarket stuff. I know the intake can be improved on but we have seen dyno numbers to back that up, have seen nothing on exhaust numbers. Also consider once you whip out the drill bit/hole saw, there is no going back.. I'm waiting until I see what the before and after dynos say.

Blur,MN

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Blur said:
I'm waiting until I see what the before and after dynos say.

Blur,MN
Remember, it takes guys like us that are willing to do this mod first so you can get those numbers...

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is in reply to several of the entries in this thread.

#1. People seem to keep talking about "3" baffles in the stock pipes. I have done the "holesaw mod." and got a total of 5 metal plugs out of these pipes: 3 from the bottom pipe, and two from the top. I can now stick a broom handle in the end of the pipe, and it goes in all the way to the bend in the pipe, in front of the muffler.

#2. If you have also done the "16 hole mod" (8 half-inch holes around the endplate surrounding the central pipe) you could simply make a small plate with a hole in the center, and use this to cover the 8 holes (held on with sheet metal screws) if you wanted to temporarily (or permanently) reverse that part of the mod to tone the sound down again.

#3. Having done both of these pipe mods, I am absolutely convinced that the performance has improved perceptably. I am extremely SCEPTICAL about whether the various mods on this site really enhance performance -- but I can tell you that from idle to red line in the lower two or three gears is noticeably quicker after the exhaust mod -- at least on my bike -- but I can't prove it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The ole seat of the pants method is at best , unreliable. Only way to see if mods really work is on the track or better yet , the dyno, same day , same dyno. Many years I have raced bikes and cars and the dyno comparos are the only real ways to see what is happening accurately.

The reason why "4000hp drag cars" dont use exhaust setups with SET valves is that they are not needed . Drag racing is NOT about low end power. Its about a strong upper mid range and top end biased power band coupled with the lowest possible weight , best possible traction and gearing, and most consistant launching. Street concerns like partial throttle cruising or accelerating, smooth slow acceleration , etc. are not really important as all out open throttle power is....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts