M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to remove the exhaust servo and install a servo buddy to eliminate the FI light issue. do I have to remove the exhaust to get to this or can I remove the exhaust servo with stock exhaust still installed?

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
I'm looking to remove the exhaust servo and install a servo buddy to eliminate the FI light issue. do I have to remove the exhaust to get to this or can I remove the exhaust servo with stock exhaust still installed?
It will be tight squeeze, but IMHO it is doable.
I guess you pulled the FI code, which told you that servo motor is not working, right? Those motor gears are plastic, and usually one wheel teeth get stripped. If thats so, it is easy fix. All you have to do is flip damaged wheel 180 degrees, so you can use the teeth on the opposite side of that wheel.
Good luck! 馃嵒

Registered
The valve in the exhaust is to control back pressure, thus fine tuning torque. It results in really good low end power. I switched to a 2-into-1 Cobra, and yeah, low end power isn't as good as stock. I still love it. Wouldn't put the stock exhaust back on again if paid to do so.

By the way, the valves natural position is open. The servo closes it when the computer tells it to close. So all you need do is unplug it, and VOILA< no more exhaust throttle. On older bikes like my 06, all I had to do was unplug the wire from the computer, no FI light is the result.

Registered
removed mine too when i installed the Freedom Performance 2into1 turnout system. used the Revo ESE they sell on meancycles. lost a little on the low end until i had BCS do a full flash of my ECU. now it's a rocketship at any rpm.

Registered
If you cannot get the servo module off without removing the exhaust and you are worried about taking off the exhaust (for whatever reason), then just unplug the servo modules 2 electrical connectors and cut the 2 mechanical cables that run from the servo module to the exhaust valve.
Once cut pull the cable ends off the valve actuator on the exhaust and flush cut the cables as close as you can to the servo module. The servo module can sit right where it is until you (or someone else) eventually removes the exhaust.

Its been a long time since I removed a stock exhaust, so I cannot recall if it is actually possible to get to the bolts that hold the servo module in place or not.
The service manual does say to remove the exhaust before removing the servo module, but its only held on by 2 small bolts, so you may be able to get a open end wrench in there and tweak them loose if space is tight.
I would still cut the cables first if your are going to bin the module anyway, it makes life much easier.

BCS

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts