M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Mike and I finally got the pipes on my bike done... Want to say thanks to Mike for the help, Big396 for the idea, and to those on the board who offered up advice when I needed it.

Here are a couple of pics. What do you think?

Here is all the junk we took off. Unfortunately I didn't have a wiegh scale but the new exhaust FEELS like it wieghs a little less then half of what the stockers did.

It sounds awesome! Here is a video clip which unfortunately doesn't do it justice... but gives you an idea. (Dialup beware, its large).
http://media.putfile.com/109CustomExhaust

I will take it to the Dyno next week to tune it and see if it is making decent power or not. (Haven't ridden it yet cause it was late and raining)
Fingers crossed :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: Exhaust Mod done, With pics and video.... What do you think?

You did one heck of a job! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

Hey man, nice job. Looks good. I guess the heat shields weren't too bad after all... How did you get the backfiring to stop? Was it an air leak as suggested? The one thing I noticed is the angle of the tip not really lining up with the last heat shield. Still... You done good. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Medic1210 said:
Hey man, nice job. Looks good. I guess the heat shields weren't too bad after all... How did you get the backfiring to stop? Was it an air leak as suggested? The one thing I noticed is the angle of the tip not really lining up with the last heat shield. Still... You done good. :bigthumbsup:
Thanks!
We did 2 things to stop the backfiring... Removed the PAIR and cinched down all of the exhaust bolts.

On the Heat shields... they weren't fun, but not as bad as I had expected. They do actually line up pretty well, the picture just kind of gives an illusion because of the angles. The piece between the Muffler and the lower pipe heat shield angles away from the bike as it goes to the muffler... as I sat here looking at the pics I kept thinking "man that looks off"... but it's not. :D

I will look through my other pics and see if I have a better close up of the heat shields.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Here are a couple different views of the heat shields. We had to offset that center piece so that the Vrod tip would stay in line with the rear of the bike. If we just ran a straight pipe then by the time you got to the end of the tip it stuck way out from the bike... We tried it, but it looked really goofy.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts

:bigthumbsup: OMG that looks AWESOME :bad2thebone: :yourock: :2excited: :hot: :hot: :hot: So where do I send mine to have it done? LOL

·
Registered
287 Posts

Hey man, out of all the exhausts set ups i've seen on the 109 this is definately the nicest looking and sounding. Great job! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

Not bad if you like stunning bad to the chrome everyone is jealous I want one too kinda of thing. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

Great work :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

really nice work man.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

I think that is the best looking exaust mod I've seen for this bike. I am now jealous, and contemplating riding a moped to Arkansas in May.

Not really, look forward to seeing and hearing your mod. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Alien109 said:
:bigthumbsup: OMG that looks AWESOME :bad2thebone: :yourock: :2excited: :hot: :hot: :hot: So where do I send mine to have it done? LOL
+1

That's the 1st one I've seen that makes me even consider changing my pipes :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Can only hope someone makes this available for us to purchase :D

·
Registered
629 Posts

:bigthumbsup: :super: Great work. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get rid of the popping . Super look. Hit it dead on with the character and personality of the bike. :doorag:

G

·

Awesome!!! I loved Big396's exhaust and you made it beter... I look forward to your dyno results...

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks everyone!
I look forward to riding it... still haven't had a chance to ride it since getting this done. I may have to break out the rain gear... :evil:

Wonder how that almost bald 260 will do on wet pavement?? :dontknow: ::) :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

Right on man!! I still think you and BIG396 have the two nicest exhausts so far! I just wish I had the ability to do that to mine. Maybe somebody will decide to make some of these for purchase by those of us unable to do it ourselves. I know I'd be first in line for one. Great work, and yeah, I'm just a little bit jealous. :( :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts