M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this past weekend. I shortened the sideburner exhaust i have. I did just like the post had said. Just cut the 6 inches off and good to go. Well for some reason no matter what I do the bottom pipe attaching to the muffler will blow out air. I have moved the clamp back and forth and tightening in different spots and still the same thing. Any ideas of what to try? I was thinking to trying some RTV gasket repair and putting it around the pipe and then sliding it on. Any ideas welcome or let me know if the RTV might help.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I was not fond of the potential for leaks at the Sideburner joint, so I got some muffler tape and wrapped each header before going into the muffler, let it run for 10 minutes and it sealed up great.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Yes on both questions.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
....I was thinking to trying some RTV gasket repair and putting it around the pipe and then sliding it on. Any ideas welcome or let me know if the RTV might help.
Valco All-In-One High Temp Silicone. I'm sure there are other good brands but that's this is made for.
http://www.holeshot.com/
Valco All-In-One High Temp Silicone

Valco All-In-One High Temp Black Silicone is ideal for exhaust system slip fits during installation. It's one the most advanced sealers available, is resistant to extreme temperatures up to 600 degrees, and can be used in none high temp applications as well. This product is a necessity to use if your installing our Holeshot slip-on or complete header system.​

·
Registered
567 Posts
permatex high temp copper is also very good...little higher temp rating too.

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
I was not fond of the potential for leaks at the Sideburner joint, so I got some muffler tape and wrapped each header before going into the muffler, let it run for 10 minutes and it sealed up great.
I would stick with what Square Rounder states. I do not know of any one using an RTV to seal exhausts.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well, I can tell you that myself, Seapup and several others have used it on the roadhouse slipons at the joints. Mine's holding up very well...I'm talking the Permatex ultra high temp gasket product. Note the slip-on gap on the roadhouse is pretty tight though. If you have much space I'd probably go with the muffler tape.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
permatex high temp copper is also very good...little higher temp rating too.
Well, I can tell you that myself, Seapup and several others have used it on the roadhouse slipons at the joints. Mine's holding up very well...I'm talking the Permatex ultra high temp gasket product.
Permatex makes muffler/tail pipe sealer (MTK-1) it is made to seal exhaust joints and works perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts