M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people are selling exhaust systems for our bike, but they aren't even out yet???? I am in need of an aftermarket exhaust, bad. How soon can we expect to see some ready to ship??

·
Registered
817 Posts
OhioM109R said:
I see people are selling exhaust systems for our bike, but they aren't even out yet???? I am in need of an aftermarket exhaust, bad. How soon can we expect to see some ready to ship??
Just curious -- why do you need an aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm not sure about exact dates. They keep changeing the dates all the time. It sure would be nice if the aftermarket companies could get a better head start so when we buy a new model bike we dont have to roll stock for 2-3 mts before we can add goodies.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The biggest reason is for noise. I had two different people on cell phones try to knock me off the road yesterday, both of which happend to be women ::).I had a set of HK 3" pipes on my Volusia, and NEVER had an issue with people wanting to kill me.

G

·
Noise may be the only reason, because if you see my post on the Thunder Air Kit, the stock pipe makes for a good pipe. And as I learned in my lesson on the Dyno today, you may end up giving up some power with a different pipe.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Your post on the air kit shows a improvement just by opening up the intake side of things. If you open up the exit side of things (pipes) you will get even more performance out of your bike. Stock pipes are designed to look good and pass emission laws, not make the most power.

G

·
slickdj96 said:
Your post on the air kit shows a improvement just by opening up the intake side of things. If you open up the exit side of things (pipes) you will get even more performance out of your bike. Stock pipes are designed to look good and pass emission laws, not make the most power.
This is not always true, designing pipes is not just putting a big hole for gas to exit. Look closer at your 109r exaust it has some very unique design items in them. One is a crossover pipe or the 2 into 1 into 2 they talk about in the marketing bable, it also has a valve to create back pressure at low power.

I learned today, that some pipes will acutally give you 10 hp less than stock. The million dollar question is which ones.Â

The mat mladin the guy 2005 AMA SuperBike winner, rides the bike that the technology the 109r is built from.

http://www.amaproracing.com/prorace/raceres/rr/totpoints.asp?cls=sb&snct=p7280&year=2005

http://www.suzuki-racing.com/news_page.asp?OBJ_ID=3824

Check the picture above, there is a pipe and muffler on this AMA SuperBike. Which is needed to make the power in the best rpm range for the track or race or street. The time, effort and technology that goes into designing exhaust on any bike is large undertaking. I not too sure that Suzuki would build a bike that has 122 rwhp and just slap some 3 in hunk of steel filled with fiberglass on the back of a machine that they are spending millions on to market.

FYI, make sure you are not degrading the performance of your bike just to piss off your neighbors.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm very familliar with AMA and MotoGP bikes as I'm a big fan of sport bike racing. Have you ever looked through a stock pipe compared to a aftermarket pipe? There is a huge difference between the two. Let me ask you, have you ever seen a bike built for performance that kept and ran the stock pipe? Prob not. They are to restrictive and like I said before, they are built to pass emissions. The only reason a aftermarket pipe would lower your HP is if your bike is not tuned correctly to the mods you have done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As far as the butterfly valve in our exhaust, that only helps out very low rpm power, and not very much. I would gladly give up a little low end to gain more mid and high end power any day. And I'm not just talking out my a$$. My 04 R1 had a back preasure (butterfly) valve called a EXUP valve right where the 4 exhaust pipes came together into 1. From there it went through a cat converter then into the stock cans. I removed and replaced the whole system with a aftermarket system that contained no backpreasure valve. No cat converter, and free flowing less restrictive cans. After tuning the bike it picked up a additional 15 rear wheel HP. I have very little to no loss in low end power.

I took the stock cans apart to see what the inside looked like and I cant believe how much they make the exhaust snake around in there. Bottom line is, if you uncork your exchaust so it can exit easier and get the bike tuned for that exhaust. It will make more power.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The stock exhaust and the steel tubing and bracketry that accompany it are designed for 2 things, first is a certain look (which I hate), second is to meet emissions standards.
We stand to lose 40 pounds by going to a well made 2 into 1, horsepower aside, that alone is worth it.

I'll hapily eat my crow if I'm wrong about this, but I'll bet we will see just as dramatic a gain from the right pipe as was realized by the intakes once it is mapped, by creating so much more airflow we will need a bunch more fuel to get the ratio right.

·
Registered
817 Posts
OMEGA said:
I'll hapily eat my crow if I'm wrong about this, but I'll bet we will see just as dramatic a gain from the right pipe as was realized by the intakes once it is mapped, by creating so much more airflow we will need a bunch more fuel to get the ratio right.
I'd be pretty shocked if this turned out to be true. More likely, once you realize the additional power from the intakes, there may only be a few additional ponies to be had from aftermarket exhaust. Of course, I could be way off. There is only one way to find out, I guess. ;)

I, for one, would have to see some dramatic gains to make swapping pipes worth it, as I am pretty satisfied with the looks and performance of the stockers so far.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm probably gonna throw a sideburner on mine for a while just because it will be the next pipe out for it, I'm gonna have to cut it right before the turned out end and make it a straight slash cut though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Call me crazy, but I really need a set of pipes for this bike. I know there are people on here willing to do the research and find out what exhaust will work best, but I'm ready to order a set now.
I'm trying to pre-order the best deal on a set of HK Sideburners, so if someone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome. I think I heard they will be available by June 1st.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts