M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We get asked this a lot: "Should I buy new exhaust gaskets". The M109 uses an exhaust gasket that is copper but the cross section is about a quater inch square. I think that you should be able to reuse these several times.

These are unlike the Hondas which are round in diameter and flatten out when the exhaust is tightened and may not work as well if reused.

Anyone have any imput on this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The manual states they should be replaced. But my feeling is, if you are careful in removing the exhaust and the gaket looks good, use it again. I have never had any problems doing this.

Reed

·
Registered
817 Posts
All I can say is, if you have any leakage AT ALL where outside air can get into the pipes, you are gonna get some nasty pops when you engine brake. I realize that's not too likely, but it's possible.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
We get asked this a lot: "Should I buy new exhaust gaskets". The M109 uses an exhaust gasket that is copper but the cross section is about a quater inch square. I think that you should be able to reuse these several times.

These are unlike the Hondas which are round in diameter and flatten out when the exhaust is tightened and may not work as well if reused.

Anyone have any imput on this?
For all the work involved with changing pipes or even re-installing the originals IMHO the cost of new gaskets and peace of mind that you're likely not going to have to do the job twice because of a leaks makes sense. I know that on my X the gaskets had to be re-torqued several times after running the bike to assure no leaks. It was a pain in the a$$. I'm not sure what new gaskets cost but would have to assume there not a big dollar item. Hal should know what the gaskets retail for or if they are even available from DirectLineParts!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts