M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will post pics later this weekend but I need some help and guidance right now.

This past week I did a couple of couple of mods. First I installed the mesh Irate grill. It looks incredible and well worth the money, IMO. This did not cause any problems, obviously.

The next mod I did was to cut out the rear baffles from my stocker exhaust. It sounds AMAZING. However, It seems to have taken away back pressure that keeps the engine running when you slow to make a hard turn in neutral. I have K&N's and the lack of back pressure, especially when the engine is cold, makes it hard to keep the bike running. Is this normal? Are there any good fixes or is this just the way it is?

I just ordered RAW design turn signals, lighted license plate frame, and chrome frame covers. This illness is worse than my gun collection!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you running any fuel managment? Like the pcIII or the fi2000r? I've always been told you can change the exhaust or intake with no managment....but when changing both its a must.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have any fuel management. I heard that you could put on K&N's adn you would not have to do fuel mgmt unless you removed the valving, etc from your exhaust. Is this true?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
First off, the mod to the exhaust should not have affected back pressure to a large degree, since the SET valve is there, and acts like a throttle plate in the exhaust.

So therefore with the K and Ns and the exhaust mod, your probably running lean. I changed my exhaust after four years of riding with Edelbrock filters. The headpipes, right out of the exhaust port were white inside, as were the exhaust port. Now I experienced no problems for four years running this lean, but still white in your pipes is very lean. These beasts run lean to begin with, and changing the filters made mine real lean.

Now you have messed with the exhaust as well, and I would stongly suggest you get either a Cobra F1299R or a TFI Fuel Injection Module. They both function the same and will both rid your bike of the white pipe problem, and improve your powerband noticably. I put the TFI on mine, and between it and the pipe with no catalytic converter, I can smell the difference when it is running. It smells like a proper motorcycle now.:bigthumbsup:

G

·
There is some wiggle room available that you might try. Theoretically, you could use the throttle position sensor adjustment (in the manual) to richen the mixture. Making the computer think that the throttle is open wider than it actually is. I haven't done it so I can't give you any step by step. But the manual explains it pretty well. Insted of setting it up to the center You bias it to the side that makes it rotate sooner. Just something to try. You can always put it back. And it would be interesting to see how much a difference it might make.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
simply debaffling the pipes like you did should not have caused a reduction of back pressure of any sort since your stock exhast still has the cat and SET in place.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You've got other issues . Debaffling the last plate really doesn't do anything but make it louder.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I do not have any fuel management. I heard that you could put on K&N's adn you would not have to do fuel mgmt unless you removed the valving, etc from your exhaust. Is this true?
lean, lean, lean its way to lean, fuel management is a must..........P.S. slow on bling bling and spend on go go

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lean, lean, lean its way to lean, fuel management is a must..........P.S. slow on bling bling and spend on go go
This bike is plenty fast enough, thanks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've got other issues . Debaffling the last plate really doesn't do anything but make it louder.
To clarify, I removed the entire last baffle section. It is totally gutted.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
To clarify, I removed the entire last baffle section. It is totally gutted.
it is still unlikely that gutting the last section of the pipe where the rear baffle is located would have been enough to cause a significant loss in back pressure.
however, since these bikes tend to come pretty lean from the factory anyway i think it is safe to assume that you need to add a fuel management system immediately.

a cobra is a good choice. it does the job very well and doesn't break the bank. it also allows you to adjust the settings once you do more mods to the bike.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Fuel filter?

While I highly recommend you add fuel management (I love my Cobra FI2000R), the bike should keep running with your mods.
Have you changed the fuel filter yet? That sounds more likely to me.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is an ATRE? It is a gear emulator, I know, but does it do something like this?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
What is an ATRE? It is a gear emulator, I know, but does it do something like this?
A TRE or ATRE affects the timing, not the fueling. Two totally different things. It just makes the bike think it's in 4th gear all the time, so it adds in more timing in 1-3 than it normally has.

When you say you totally gutted it, did you remove all the baffle walls or just the one at the rear? Unless the pipes have absolutely nothing left in them I doubt this caused your problem. I agree with CBR that it sounds more like your fuel filter may be getting clogged.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A TRE or ATRE affects the timing, not the fueling. Two totally different things. It just makes the bike think it's in 4th gear all the time, so it adds in more timing in 1-3 than it normally has.

When you say you totally gutted it, did you remove all the baffle walls or just the one at the rear? Unless the pipes have absolutely nothing left in them I doubt this caused your problem. I agree with CBR that it sounds more like your fuel filter may be getting clogged.
I removed the rear wall and pipe completely and drilled many holes in the next wall.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
JMHO - but if thats all you did and didn't interupt the set valve adjustments, I would say you need a fuel processor - fi2000r or pcIII..
What your describing definitley says lean condition probrably throughout
the rev range, but these bike make so much power, you dont feel it as much throughout the entire rpm range

your going to need a fuel processor soon or later - now the time to get one

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK. I'm sold. Which fuel processsor do you recommend and where should I buiy it? Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
OK. I'm sold. Which fuel processsor do you recommend and where should I buiy it? Thanks for all the help guys!
I bought this unit when I bought my Cobra pipes, TFI Fuel Injection Module. It has worked great so far.

The difference between the Cobra F1200R and the TFI, is that the TFI has a fourth pot that the Cobra does not have. It allows you to change the rpm where the green (idle, low speed) pot turns off, and the red (high speed) pot fully takes over. The recommended setting is 4,000, but you can set it lower or higher as needed.

TFI Fuel Injection Module

Cobra F1200R

1 - 20 of 23 Posts