M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just joined the site. I took a 1/2 inch drill bit to the exhaust last night, WAY better sound than stock! Thank you for the videos and instruction. I was wondering if anyone has went into the middle baffle with eight holes? I know this would be pretty tricky to do and just curious if anyone has done it. I have been waiting for my 3inch hard kromes for 3 months now and if I can get a little more out of the stock pipes then I will cancel the Hard Kromes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome to the boards man :beer2:

Are you talking about the 2nd baffle plate in from the rear of the exhaust?

·
Registered
721 Posts
ChuckyC said:
Hey guys. Just joined the site. I took a 1/2 inch drill bit to the exhaust last night, WAY better sound than stock! Thank you for the videos and instruction. I was wondering if anyone has went into the middle baffle with eight holes? I know this would be pretty tricky to do and just curious if anyone has done it. I have been waiting for my 3inch hard kromes for 3 months now and if I can get a little more out of the stock pipes then I will cancel the Hard Kromes.
I think you want a 1 5/8" bi-metal hole saw and 18" of extension...
There are 2 baffle plates in one pipe and 3 in the other... I think.

Do a search on baffle plates using the search tab above :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
ChuckyC said:
I believe you are asking about one thing, but Prowler is talking about another.
I have not seen anyone post that they did the small holes around in a circle (around the center opening) to the second wall in.
Instead people have been drilling out the first 2 plates in the center of the opening in the middle.

Please keep us posted (sound clip please) if you trry what you mentioned.

Sledzep

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ledzep hit it right on! Talking about doing the 8 - 1/2 inch hole thing into the second baffle. I am going to get my bike dyno'd this week. The only mod is the eight holes in the back plate. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, so the eight holes through the outer plate into the second baffle not going to work. After buying a 15 inch drill bit I realized the lower pipe is not round all the way down. Decided not to screw with it.

G

·
My thoughts....
I drilled the centre pipe out for the ENTIRE length, effectively making it a straight thru 1 1/4 exhaust. sounded good, but still wheezy.
Then I drilled 8 x 9mm holes around each external end plate. sounded way nicer, deeper and not so whooshy.
Its at this point I shoulda been happy with what i had, and not keep reaching for that little bit more....the "Icarus" seed runs in most men, and usually leads to greatness or ruin. For me this time it was ruin.
Anyway, I then decided to remove the end plate and internal baffle as had been done by several others on this forum. BAD move. :(
Because I had already removed the entire three baffle plates from the inside of the pipe, and NOW removed the baffle itself, its pretty noisy, and not the tune I was after. Just plain LOUD.
To attempt a recovery, I them purchased two brass welsh/core plugs for engine blocks and belted them into the remaining pipe buried in the depths of the exhaust itself. Better.
The result was akin to reinstating one of the original drilled out centre baffle "plugs".
I'm probably going to leave it as is, until I can decide on cobra dragsters wrapped in muffler bandage and with Lamonsters washer mod, or speedster longs.
Hard to decide without hearing the pipes personally.
I believe there are big delays in the supply of cobra dragsters and longs in the USA, but here in oz there are NONE at all. I will have to buy mine ex USA and ship them when and if they become available.
Hotwasabi

·
Registered
108 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
I took off the entire set-up and wow ,the difference.
You are the man, no doubt about it, straight in, full bore ( + got a fifty too ) !!

Rock on,

OZcruizer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts