M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

New to the forum. Just upgraded to a 9 from a VTX last week. Best move I ever made…except one problem.

The bike I purchased had Sideburner exhaust. Want to have stock pipes put on because I prefer the look and reduced sound. Problem is the bike was missing the exhaust actuator. Dealer said they'd find the part and change the pipes, but they've had two failed attempts already at buying the part used. Two questions:

Got one laying around your garage you'd like to unload?
What does this part even do, and do I need it? Never had a bike with one before

Thanks
Jr222

p.s. will be selling the sideburners once their off the bike. See post here if interested: http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135847

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I would think you could have the set valve wired in the open position and not have any extra cost. but iI will defer to the more experianced guys here.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Just wire the valve on the exhaust in the open position.
Obviously someone already clipped the wire to the ECU,
so that would be the best bet. Otherwise you'll have to re-attach the wire to the ECU.
It'll run jsut fine without it, maybe even better than with it.
Plus you won't have to deal with it squeaking every time you start it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wire the valve on the exhaust in the open position.
Obviously someone already clipped the wire to the ECU,
so that would be the best bet. Otherwise you'll have to re-attach the wire to the ECU.
It'll run jsut fine without it, maybe even better than with it.
Plus you won't have to deal with it squeaking every time you start it up.
thanks for the reply, but could you explain what the thing does? not even sure what its purpose is.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
thanks for the reply, but could you explain what the thing does? not even sure what its purpose is.
Basically it makes back pressure so you have more low end torque. It is removed off of aftermarket pipes. There is a "cam" that you can use with the set assembly to trick the computer on aftermarket pipes or you disconnect the ecu wire. Yours probably has the ecu wire disconnected. Tell the dealer to put the pipes on and fire the bike up. If they get an FI light blinking, just go here and fix it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum. A local guy got a quote from a dealer for $300 plus dollars for the set. It does not just bolt back on. The cabling system needs to be adjusted correctly as well. And as stated, the ecm wire more then likely has been pulled or cut. So do what Papa stated and just mount the strockers back on and don't look back unless you get an FI light.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum. A local guy got a quote from a dealer for $300 plus dollars for the set. It does not just bolt back on. The cabling system needs to be adjusted correctly as well. And as stated, the ecm wire more then likely has been pulled or cut. So do what Papa stated and just mount the strockers back on and don't look back unless you get an FI light.
Thanks guys. super helpful. You Rock! Just a couple other quick questions...please forgive the ignorance.

Is this the right video for how to set the set valve to open? if not are there instructions somewhere? tried to search...and this is all i found. Bought the bike form Harley dealer and unfortunately they dont seem to know their way around the 9, so want to make this as fool proof as possible for them.

Also- the dealer already agreed to cover cost of part and labor. I just want it done soon so i can enjoy the new ride and be done with it. also dealer is 150 mi away, so want to get work done before it gets too cold. So- cost issue aside- there's really no downside to installing with set valve open? If there is, i guess i'll just have to be more patient.

Thanks for the help! much appreciated!

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
I have not looked them up, but I am sure that it is in the service manual, not to be mistaken with the owners manual.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Want to part with the sidburners? I got a nice set of stockers...pm me if you are interested.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Also- the dealer already agreed to cover cost of part and labor. I just want it done soon so i can enjoy the new ride and be done with it. also dealer is 150 mi away, so want to get work done before it gets too cold. So- cost issue aside- there's really no downside to installing with set valve open? If there is, i guess i'll just have to be more patient.

Thanks for the help! much appreciated!
There is a huge downside to installing the set valve. That is if they don't do it right, it will throw an FI light if the ecu wire isn't already pulled. It is not a simple task, as Rynosback stated. The manual has 2 pages dedicated to it. You need to use a multimeter and take resistance measurements to adjust the cables to open and close just right, otherwise you will throw an FI light. The set reverts to open when as default, and only closes when the cables are closing it. Some have wired it open, however I didn't and rode mine for 10k miles with no problems.

Have then just put the pipes on only. Fire it up and if there is no FI light you are good to go. it will throw a code right away if there is a problem. The only problem it could be is fixed by the link I gave you. if there is no problem, you are golden.

A user on here had a harley mechanic work on his bike. He had the m109 manual. That user came on here begging for a local M109 mechanic to help fix his bike. Rynosback and I went over on 3 different occasions and put the bike back together properly. I won't even get into the details of the butcher job that was done. Point is, have them do as little as possible in this case, and get out of there with your ride.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
If the cables from the actuator are unhooked, the SET valve itself is spring loaded to stay open. It doesn't make that much difference in the performance and gives it a slightly deeper sound at idle if it's open, so I wouldn't even bother with reinstalling it. It's obviously running now without the actuator or SET being active and not setting a light, so just install the stock exhaust and leave the cables loose and be done with it.

As BigPapa said, installing it wrong can cause more problems than just leaving it unused.

I've ran mine both ways, on both the stock exhaust and on my modified exhausts using the stock head pipes and SET. I can't feel the difference whether it's active or not. And it does sound better if it's open.

:welcome: & :congrats: too. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the cables from the actuator are unhooked, the SET valve itself is spring loaded to stay open. It doesn't make that much difference in the performance and gives it a slightly deeper sound at idle if it's open, so I wouldn't even bother with reinstalling it. It's obviously running now without the actuator or SET being active and not setting a light, so just install the stock exhaust and leave the cables loose and be done with it.

As BigPapa said, installing it wrong can cause more problems than just leaving it unused.

I've ran mine both ways, on both the stock exhaust and on my modified exhausts using the stock head pipes and SET. I can't feel the difference whether it's active or not. And it does sound better if it's open.

:welcome: & :congrats: too. :D
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going back to the dealer Sat to have the stock pipes put on without the actuator. sounds like thats the way to go.

many thanks!
jr

·
Registered
1 Posts
exhaust actuator please help

I have one or two sitting around here if you still need one..... Just PM me... K
I need one like yesterday. if you have one please sell it to me I will pick it up 440-864-2699 Mike call me asap. thanks my FI light is on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts