M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I spend 99% of my time riding during the day, I've been thinking about getting a dark smoke colored face shield for my helmet, but I'm wondering how bad the visibility is through these things at night should I ever have to ride after dark with it. I've never had a dark face shield before.

G

·
Since I spend 99% of my time riding during the day, I've been thinking about getting a dark smoke colored face shield for my helmet, but I'm wondering how bad the visibility is through these things at night should I ever have to ride after dark with it. I've never had a dark face shield before.
Hop on the bike and close your eyes...then you'll have a rough approximation of riding in the dark with shades on.:joke:. Seriously though...I wouldn't recommend it. Contrast goes all to hell...you won't be able to see d*ck.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Dark

My Shoei dark shield is too dark to see safely at night, I have to open it to see anything clearly. Before I got my fairing, I used to carry a pair of clear glasses to wear with the shield up. Trying to change from a dark tint shield to a clear one at night on the side of the road is also not advised.:eek:
Been there, done that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just got one for mine...love it during the day, but it has noticeable visibility impacts at night. I don't like it at all!!

So, I have to be ready with a set of clear lensed glasses so I can open the visor up (full face Icon)...

G

·
It depends on your eye sight. I ride not only with a dark shield but with my dark glasses at night. In city areas where there are lots of street lights it's no problem. In rural areas I'll put some clear glasses on if I have them with me. If not I'll just flip up the shield. It's all in what you're used to. You can train your eyes to get used to it little by litle over time. It really helps improve your night vision. And prevents losing it with age. I see better in the dark than most people I know. On the other hand, It is tourture to be out in the sun without my shades.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I ride with a clear polarized shield and photo sensitive glasses. Good night or day.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I
So, I have to be ready with a set of clear lensed glasses so I can open the visor up (full face Icon)...
Ditto. You can get a ticket if you ride with a tinted shield at night in Colorado. You can also get a ticket if you don't have eye protection, so I keep a set of clear riding glasses with me.

-Polartek

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
it sucks just plain sucks! I got caught as the sun was going down and had no other eye protection except the tinted shield. I will NEVER do that again.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Oh it's Grampi....ya do have a lot of kinda dumb questions for a man of years :D

Do NOT ride with a dark shield at night !!!!...try ridin into a looong tunnel with shades on in the daytime...oops...not good :bigthumbsup:

Go for one of these...there are quite a few out there....best of both worlds :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ya know, they do make helmets with a flip-down 2nd shield that you can have dark if ya want. They're pretty nifty. Now, if only they made them big enough for my stupid giant melon!!!!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Well the easiest way to find out my friend is to go out tonight on the bike and wear your darkest sunglasses, then you will see.

And yes I've had to do it on a few occasions, it was not good at all.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I never take my tinted shield off. I also wear polarized riding glass's good up to 80 mph so IF I need to, I can just ride with the shield open, but I usually close it.

There is a lot of traffic here ALWAYS so I have other lights to keep the road bright and I usually ride with the high beam on so even if I'm out on the highway with no cars around I"m good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
With the HJC shields i havent had any problem with visibility at night... they are even light enough that you can wear sunglasses with it during the day and not be too dark...

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I never take my tinted shield off. I also wear polarized riding glass's good up to 80 mph so IF I need to, I can just ride with the shield open, but I usually close it.

There is a lot of traffic here ALWAYS so I have other lights to keep the road bright and I usually ride with the high beam on so even if I'm out on the highway with no cars around I"m good.
Are those the clear glasses you were wearing at pismo, at night, drunk, while were partying in the parking lot? :D Pretty stylish :bigthumbsup:

Seriously though, I have an Icon helmet with a silver shield and I have caught out at night lots of times, I can see good enough, not perfect, but good enough. Although, if there was something dark laying in the lane, it is possible, you might not see it in time.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Helmets?

Grampi.I ride at night with a dark tint visor(HJC Helmet) with no problem whatsoever.there are a few units out there that have the flip down visor on the inside of the helmet,but if you want a really cool lid that incorporates the best of day and night riding,without changing the visor,then have a look at the Akuma Helmet range there in the US.One helmet in particular has an Electrochromatic visor that goes from clear to real dark(and visa-versa)at the touch of a button.I was going to get one,but they don't meet ADR's here in Oz.Check it out.KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts