M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever felt like you wanted more oomph after "tooling" around in break in period ?

This weekend i took a long run to an outlying skydiving club, two up for the first time. ( GF jumps not me. I rather fly em :) The bike performed flawlessly and she was a really good passenger sitting quite still and not upsetting the cornering.

I did not notice any struggling from the bike with the extra weight, however i was approaching the 1600KM mark ie the end of break-in and was inclined to twist the grip a bit harder so i was probably into power i never used before to compensate.

Now, i have been exceptionally good with the book style of break - in, never exceeding their recommendations . As such i have done 1600 km without even once hitting the throttle fully open. This is not to say that i am tooling around as i do give a healthy dose of twist as required and use the full rev range recommended by the book at the appropriate times.

I have noted that from closed throttle to fully open is 90 degrees of twist. I have probably been using up to 60 -70 degrees of twist.

When i got home my Odo read 1604 Km and i am now officially allowed to wack it fully !! I am wondering how much harder this bike will pull with full throttle. I know its a simple matter of getting on and wacking it.. but in a wierd way i dont want to do it and be dissapointed as well as its raining cats and dogs outside so i can only wonder for a while.

This is my first bike ever, so someone please tell me ths thing is chalk and cheese at full wack cos as i sit here i cannot inagine that it will be that radically different from the 70 odd degrees of throttle i have been using. Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised but im left wondering if i am to start looking at a hayabusa to satisfy my need for acceleration already ?

Is this bike really as fast as everyone says "for a cruiser " or plain fast for any type of bike ?

Skin.

G

·
Re: Ever felt like you wanted more oomph after "tooling" around in break in peri

ok this is what I noticed on my bike, the real power heads are JR, Perry, Lamont, ITguy, Hal and about 50 others that all race. I noticed that once you get around 6000rpm's just shift if you can you will get no more power (also proving in dyno) As for go, if you have stock air it will not be that much different then what you are doing right now except you will get to the back of the seat faster and there is a bit more air pressure. As for speed :evil: if your bike is anything like mine you will sail fine at 135 (very stable) once you get over this speed you might notice it shakes a bit. (if you aren't using a GPS for speed then your speedo might be 6-8mph to high (or that is what I've been noticing))

Now if you want some real power (look at the mods for the pipes and the air box, you will need some tuning tools for the air fuel mix to use what you have (I'm sure you already know this one)) if you want the bike to react quick pull the secondary throttle butterfly's off.

good luck have fun and be safe :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Re: Ever felt like you wanted more oomph after "tooling" around in break in period ?

You'll notice the difference, but it's not going to be throwing you off the bike different if you've already hit 70%. This bike really comes on big in the 40% to 70% throttle range. It gets better from there to wide open, but I'm not certain I'd say 30% better.

As far as break in, I took my bike out much faster and quicker than you. I like to break my vehicles in the way I want them to perform in the end. So I did hit wide open throttles by the time I had 100 miles on it. What I was more careful about way down at the very low mileage points was never lugging the motor and also not over revving it either. I hit full throttle in the middle of the rpm band in bursts that I just widdened out the rpm range on as the mileage added up. By the time I have several hundred miles on it I was I was riding it fairly normally except still being especially careful that I didn't lug it down low hard. What I did do was slowing increase throttle openings at progressively lower rpm's as I started feeling the motor losening up - 2,400 rpm full throttle, 2,200 full throttle, 2,000 full throttle, down to 1,800 rpm and full throttle. That with a very progressive roll on of the power. I wouldn't whack it at those low rpms. Now that my bike is fully broken in, I have no problems giving it full throttle down at 1,500 rpm's.

So I guess that's just a long way of saying I like to break my motors in the way I want them to run - fast!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Re: Ever felt like you wanted more oomph after "tooling" around in break in peri

I hit 1500 miles on my odo yesterday (2 weeks of actually riding time since I bought it :D ) and I must tell you, I rode it like I stole it from day one. I completely ignored that goofed out book and listened to what I read here. Which was to ride the bike the way you always intended to ride it. 4800 rpm limit... kiss my back tire on that one Suzuki, red line says 7200 and I got aweful close quite a few times shortly after purchase. As for speed.. I have radar verification that I had it up to at least 115 on one occasion within the first 200 miles :cop: :D

With the mods I've made to the bike now, the redline shows up way too stinking fast and I'm seriously considering a drivers backrest mod. I've already discovered its much easer to go fast laying on my tank bag and that I can get 4 or 5 fishies in and still maintain control (thanks for taunting me into that one Snake).

And in my opinion, this bike is just plain fast.. cruiser, sporty, whatever.. it hauls much tail.

G

·
Re: Ever felt like you wanted more oomph after "tooling" around in break in period ?

Break in period???? Whats that???

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

While its not the point of my post here is my take on the break in period.

I accept that race bikes and drag bikes whos engines are rebuilt in 15 minutes between races and drags are never going to be run in so its balls to the wall from the word go. But they are only expected to last a few races, drags, or one season ?
If you want it to last for many years i feel to do it by the book :)

I have no idea whether it will actually put out more power by breaking it in hard as propogated by "motoman" etc but im convinced by virtue of pure mechanical sympathy that going easy until all bits are bedded in nicely is the way to go for longevity.

However, the book also says that "some stress must be placed on the engine" and dont totally wuss around with it at low throttle for extended periods or glazing will occur.

Anyhow, all im wondering is if i will be dissapointed or elated when i next twist the throttle... all the way for the first time.

Skin.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Do a search for break-in period Skin.. there was a very good article referenced in one of them that went into great detail about the fact that in modern, computer controlled robotically milled engines the rings will seat in around the first 20 miles or so. Thats THE most critical period. After that its mostly just establishing gear and bearing mesh patterns in the rest of the engine which is best done the way you intend to ride the bike thereafter so as to not induce additional wear when you change riding styles.

Seems couter-intuitive, but if you go read the article it will actually make a lot more sense.

Sorry we kinda hi-jacked the thread :eek:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi DaltonH.

I believe thats the "motoman" article on the web. It does make sense but my sense of mechanical sympathy just cannot get me to wack a machine that has just been put together, if i want it to last a long while.

The only experience that i can quote from is my Toyota Landcruiser that i have owned for 10 years and bought new that i babied to the book during the break- in. Today it has 300 000 km on the clock with absolutely no measurable oil usage and no mechanical breakdowns ever. Perhaps it would have done the same and put out 20 more hp if i had wacked it off the showroom floor ? I just could never have felt comfortable doing it though.

To the brave go the spoils :)

G

·

skindiver said:
Hi DaltonH.

I believe thats the "motoman" article on the web. It does make sense but my sense of mechanical sympathy just cannot get me to wack a machine that has just been put together, if i want it to last a long while.Â

The only experience that i can quote from is my Toyota Landcruiser that i have owned for 10 years and bought new that i babied to the book during the break- in. Today it has 300 000 km on the clock with absolutely no measurable oil usage and no mechanical breakdowns ever. Perhaps it would have done the same and put out 20 more hp if i had wacked it off the showroom floor ? I just could never have felt comfortable doing it though.

To the brave go the spoils :)
And I just sold my 94 Ford Ranger pickup with the 4 cylinder engine that I had since it was new. 235,000 miles and the most I ever did to it was change the sparkplugs and change the oil. I hated to get rid of it.

And I drove it hard from Day 1 and never stopped.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

My advice is to WACK it! Give it full throttle and you wont be able to wipe the smile off your face! :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

hahaha pridgen :)Â IÂ have my own theory about the vibration .. its the pipes wobbling excessively from side to side as my riding buddy told me it does on one of our runs .

As for my origional question...

Today i woke and behold from the heavens... rays of sunlight and from the earth ... dry roads.
While waiting for the traffic to subside i looked inward in preparation and anticipation while silently pacing the boathouse pondering my choices of steed to set wings to my heels and swiftly take me to work.

Striding through the "stable"Â as I made my choice I realised simultaneously that there had really been no choice at all passing by the low red one, crossing past the rear of the squat silver one and stood before the violet blue one. For a moment i waited as if to finally reach the state of mind necessary before reaching out and smoothly waking the rumbling beast in the belly of the blue violet one with a nonchalant press of my right thumb.

I pulled on my helmet as it quivered, shaked and thumped out the beat that would underscore the start of my day.
Realising that i still had my briefcase on the floor beside me, i quickly separated the necessary from the mundane and placed the money in my pocket leaving the black leather case under the work- bench. I will not have need for the CZ75Â today i thought .

Returning to her stall, the warm aromatic smell of the exhaust greeted me as i swung my booted leg over the powerful rear and settled into the dished saddle and in the same motion almost casually lifted her upright as if to reaffirm .. "remember .. i own you Jessica ".

The sunlight glinted sharply through my visor as i rolled out of the boathouse, pressing the remote that would set the massive twin sliding doors closed behind me with a familiar thunk. Jess was by now thudding away from between my legs in anticipation as if she knew that today was the day we had both been waiting for, preparing and training for.Â

I burbled her down the long driveway, crossing the stream and fed in a little more power to ease her up the incline to the gate. Another button on the same remote served to open the imposing twin steel barricades edged in long spikes, and we entered the outside world , onto the street. Now we were free. How would she respond ... i wondered.

A light truck was approaching up the country lane and i almost decided to wait but the rampaging in the beast below me took precedence and i found myself next changing into second and leaning instinctively into the first right sweep that would take me over the hill and to the busy road on the other side.

The scenery changed as more cars began to flash by . The triple lane concrete highway flowed downhill beckoning beyond me and i could feel the tension in Jessica as she strained to be given her head and charge down into the already rising haze caused by the morning sun evaporating moisture from the rains the night before.
Not yet, not now jess i thought to myself, easy girl, your time will come and then you will have the opportunity to show me what you are made of.

All too suddenly the offramp loomed ahead and tapping off i allowed the deep thunder - compression to start pulling back the speed, fourth, third , second and finally we turned into the suburban main road where the red one loved to shriek out from its tubi and hear herself wail as her voice howled and reflected off the houses and walls lining the road like a banshee in a hurricane.
Now i thought, now !!.. but still i held back like a racer saving his mount for the final straight. Jessica was besides herself by now and threw herself into the first turn hard left and then snapping harder right crossing both lanes and she struggled for freedom, champing at the bit and bucking over the ruts, willing her back to kick out in rebellion of the restraint i was imposing on her.

Then first gear and we entered the the final left turn . Now Jess, Now !!! Barely halfway through and i knew she had chosen the right track. i gave her full rein as she lept forward like never before barely keeping her rear firmly planted on the hot tar. I felt her front go way light as she arched towards the outside of the turn twisting and torqueing under me pulling herself smoothly upright under full power at the very edge of the road . As if on rails she nailed the exit of the turn and i hastened to grab second gear and give life to her relentless charge down the straight to the factory.

I barely had time to register that the familiar 'clunk' of a deliberate gear change was gone and i had to give in to her thundering insistence for third gear. The walls flashed by in a blur now but still i willed myself to keep up with her and keep my wrist fully twisted.
The familiar thumping sound had galvanized into a smooth angry fighter drone and the thoughts "nascar" and "bomber" flashed through my racing mind as i struggled to keep up mentally as we punched a hole through the barrier between merely living and actually being alive ! Â

Slowing reluctantly for the gate and feeling the sticky pressure of the huge twin pistons under compression pulling me back to reality i found myself shaking inside as the gate slid open.Â

Jessica ..' that busa can wait ' ...Â
You and i have a long and winding path to walk yet girl...

Skin.

G

·

Wow! You must be a writer, dude! If not, quit your job and write a book. I couldn't have written like that if I though about it for days. Can I use it for English II/Creative Writing class? :joke:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

HalGreenlee said:
Break in period???? Whats that???
Thats the period when you are teaching the bike who is master... after that first few hundred miles they know to obey and will be by your side like a well trained Lab for years to come.

Sledzep

·
Registered
240 Posts

Hands down the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on a motorcycle board :joke:

·
Registered
532 Posts

I'll never look at my rides the same again.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

HalGreenlee said:
And I just sold my 94 Ford Ranger pickup with the 4 cylinder engine that I had since it was new. 235,000 miles and the most I ever did to it was change the sparkplugs and change the oil. I hated to get rid of it.

And I drove it hard from Day 1 and never stopped.
For reference and comparison for the metricly-challenged 8) 235,000 miles = 376,000 km and either way ya look at it that was an awfully reliable vehicle. As for the Toyota getting 300,000+km.. heck Toyota built there name doing that.. its why you can't negotiate price on them at the stealerships unless your in tight with someone there.

G

·

HalGreenlee said:
Break in period???? Whats that???
:a18: :a18: :a18: :a18: :a18: :a18: :a18:
Ride it like you stole it.....off the showroom floor.... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts

ppridgen1 said:
"After my breakin period oil change, I now get a vibration thru the bike between 3200 and 4500 rpm range ,when hard on the throttle"
At 12k miles I'm still looking for this mysterious vibration many comment about. Kinda glad I can't find it. My bike will do the shake, wobble and roll down at low rpm when under hard throttle, but by the time I hit 3200 rpm its all smoothed out. Or maybe my vibration acuity is just all shot.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Skindiver,

If you ride half as good as your write you'll have no problems breaking that new 109 in perfectly!!!

I'm still working on my break-in but I'm riding like I stole it!

McBel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts