M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ve never had it in my bike before and I had it full before I noticed the 10% ethynol sign, anyone here run it and had any problems, I had it in my car one time and I could tell it robbed the power and made a roaring sound on the highway

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I avoid ethynol like the plague when I am on my 9. It is corrosive to the fuel system and robs power and mpg.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
In some places in the summer it's all you can get...I use it because I have no choice but to use it. 91+ no probs

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I avoid ethynol like the plague when I am on my 9. It is corrosive to the fuel system and robs power and mpg.
Actually Jeremy that is a myth. Methanol is corrosive to Aluminum and many other parts of your fuel system, but Ethanol, not so much.

http://www.1888pressrelease.com/e85...ill-eat-your-gas-tank-and-y-pr-i2c00y01y.html

Check this link or ggogle if you prefer, but it isn't that harmful. The big issues is that you have to get more fuel through the system to compensate for the ethanol. 10 % is real common these days and easy to tune for it.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
That's all we've had here in WV or VA for the last couple years. I haven't had any problem with it. I always run 92 or 93 octane.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Zoom, they say that any vehicle built since 1985 should handle ethanol without any issue whatsoever. They also say that the issues some are having is because of varnish built up from prior use of gasoline, the ethanol actually cleans it out and will clean the injectors as well. Its sad that ethanol is getting the blame for so many problems when it is not at fault. I have researched ethanol since the early 90's, when I thought about running it in my drag car, but it wasn't readily available here in W. pa. It still is difficult to find, and I can only find one station with E-85, which I will be running in the drag car next time around. Ya just can't beat white lightning!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I was under the impression that there was a federal law that states all fuel sold in the US has to contain a certain percentage of ethanol in it now. I am not sure what the percentage is and I could be totally wrong but that is what I seem to remember seeing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
in new york thats all i can find is gas with 10% ethanol but they carry 93 octane.so far no problems.and its a law it has to be posted.sometimes it posted very small

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
Labeling not required in: DC; Indiana; Kansas; Maryland; Michigan; Minnesota; Missouri; Nevada; New Hampshire (maybe) New Jersey; North Carolina; Ohio.

There are other states that require it depending on percentage.

Source: http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html
They need to add a water content too. There's two stations here that are famous for having water in the tanks. Doesn't seem to bother my trucks or cars but I filled the bike up at one of them and had to drain it out for use in the lawnmower it ran so bad.

I wonder if the 10% ethanol blend makes the car or bike run cooler like the 100% stuff does in a drag car? :D

That reminds me, I need to get that old still that's hidden down in the woods fired up again. Anyone seen them revenuers around lately? :joke:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Fill up a camel back up with White Lightening, put some banjo music in your iPod, then use your 9 to ditch the law on back country roads, and don't be afraid to hit a few jumps....always worked for them Duke Boys!!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
lol, no revenuers up here... I doubt that you would see any cooling effect from the E10 but yes fro the e85. You are correct that ethanol is hygroscopic, but the claim is that the E10 won't cause much of this. The real problem is in a station that doesn't turn over a lot of Volume. If the fuel sits for an extended amt of time, it will pick up moisture. I have noticed that even plain old gasoline doesn't last very long anymore. As far as storing anything (wintering) you should always use a stabilizer.

Now where did mike hide that shine??? hmm

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
They need to add a water content too. There's two stations here that are famous for having water in the tanks. Doesn't seem to bother my trucks or cars but I filled the bike up at one of them and had to drain it out for use in the lawnmower it ran so bad.

I wonder if the 10% ethanol blend makes the car or bike run cooler like the 100% stuff does in a drag car? :D

That reminds me, I need to get that old still that's hidden down in the woods fired up again. Anyone seen them revenuers around lately? :joke:
Save a few jugs for me! WV apple or peach shine... YUM!

·
Registered
497 Posts
in minnesota you can find stations that sell A grade gas witch is a premium with no ethanol or 91 octane.and all 87 octane has 10% ethanol.
and as for the water most ethanol plants can add up to 1% water by volume and they also blend in anti corrosives
and the water in the stations tanks its just condensation from not keeping the tanks full i have seen 30,000 gal tanks and they are kept half full. just like on our cars in the winter your told to keep the tanks full to avoid this the. U of M did some reserch and found that you burn about 1 1/2 tanks of gas/ethanol blend to just gas alone you do not get as much energy from gas/ethanol blend
just food for thought the same tanker that hauls the gas can also be filled with antifreeze,motor oil, ethanol,diesel, atf, bio diesel,hyd fluid, gear lub and more if the driver is in a hurry and does not drain the compartment well you get a mix

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Everyone keeps saying blended in water i thought ethanol removes water that is why it is added to the gas and this would be a good thing the down side was too much would be bad for your lines and things.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning that it will absorb water. The ethanol plants keep the percentage of water very low during production, but as it gets transported and stored where exposed to the atmosphere it can absorb moisture from the air. If the moisture content gets too high it can lead to phase separation (not good), and typically has to be much higher percentage (more than 4%) water. Gasoline phase separation occurs with a much lower percentage of water. The problems people see when they run ethanol is that in older vehicles the fuel system may not be completely compatible with the ethanol, and it can cause seals to fail. This is typically on vehicles made prior to 1985. The next issue is clogged filters. The gasoline we usually run will varnish inside your lines and tank and injectors. Then we put E10 in the system and it cleans the varnish off and can plug a filter. After extended usage this is no longer a problem, but it can be a pain getting there. Another is tuning. If your vehicle is flex fuel there is no issue. Most aren't however and mileage and power can suffer if the computer can't keep up with the extra demand. The stochiometric for gasoline is 12.5:1 (max power) 14.7 typical (economy/enviromental)and for ethanol it is 9.0 (typical), and methanol is 6.4(typical). This means to get the same power you need to add a lot more fuel. If you can put that much fuel through the system you will typically make more mower. The problem comes in when the ethanol content gets higher than expected and the mixture goes lean, then power and economy suffer. The corrosiviness of ethanol actually comes from the higher oxygen content. It is far less corrosive than Methanol and a little more corrosive than gasoline (yes,gasoline is corrosive). All in all if I could even buy it here I would convert to E85. But I am not driving 35 miles for fuel.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Actually Jeremy that is a myth. Methanol is corrosive to Aluminum and many other parts of your fuel system, but Ethanol, not so much.

http://www.1888pressrelease.com/e85...ill-eat-your-gas-tank-and-y-pr-i2c00y01y.html

Check this link or ggogle if you prefer, but it isn't that harmful. The big issues is that you have to get more fuel through the system to compensate for the ethanol. 10 % is real common these days and easy to tune for it.
:bigthumbsup:
If you look closely at the FLEX FUEL vehicles you will find the only differences to run an alcohol based fuel is that the rubber O rings are special so they do not dry up and the fuel does not recirculate back to the tank.
I use it in my 9 now and then however I always use an oil based fuel additive from Lucas , that may help with the drying nature of the fuel.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you look closely at the FLEX FUEL vehicles you will find the only differences to run an alcohol based fuel is that the rubber O rings are special so they do not dry up and the fuel does not recirculate back to the tank.
I use it in my 9 now and then however I always use an oil based fuel additive from Lucas , that may help with the drying nature of the fuel.
:agree: Put some Lucas in there!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts