M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard about this site http://pure-gas.org/

90% of the time i use ethanol-free gas in my 9 when its available.

G

·
Just heard about this site http://pure-gas.org/

90% of the time i use ethanol-free gas in my 9 when its available.
Ethanol is a GREAT fuel system cleaner. I go through a tank of gas every 2-3 days in the summer, so it's not a big deal where I go. I run 75/25 gasoline/e85 once or twice per season in a carbed bike. Really smooths it out. Not sure about the FI bike and the possibility of some nanny that might freak out over one tank!!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i try to avoid ethanol when I can.

had my Chrysler 300 in the shop 2 times due to ethanol damage. cost me over $200 each time.

G

·
i try to avoid ethanol when I can.

had my Chrysler 300 in the shop 2 times due to ethanol damage. cost me over $200 each time.
No freakin way! You're the first I've ever heard having that prob. What failed?

You figure out the cause? Was it a certain station or did the fuel sit in the car too long??

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ethanol is a GREAT fuel system cleaner. I go through a tank of gas every 2-3 days in the summer, so it's not a big deal where I go. I run 75/25 gasoline/e85 once or twice per season in a carbed bike. Really smooths it out. Not sure about the FI bike and the possibility of some nanny that might freak out over one tank!!
I thought I just read a post that said ethanol was degrading the rubber boot (and other rubber parts) that surround the fuel filter. My filter was black as midnight when I changed it.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No freakin way! You're the first I've ever heard having that prob. What failed?

You figure out the cause? Was it a certain station or did the fuel sit in the car too long??
EGR valve both times. just stopped using ethanol gas and it stopped the problem, my wifes VW beetle runs like crap when she uses ethanol gas. maybe bad gas, who knows. i just try to get pure gas as much as possible.

G

·
I thought I just read a post that said ethanol was degrading the rubber boot (and other rubber parts) that surround the fuel filter. My filter was black as midnight when I changed it.
Not in 2-3 days. I've read the same thing but it was more apt to happen if you used more than 10% ethanol on a regular basis or tried to run e85 straight. Regular speedway gas won't do it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Any marina carries ethanol free gas. Ethanol in excess is bad for the bikes/cars/boats, especially if they are carbed. Ethanol isnt such a great idea... 1 gallon of ethanol takes something crazy like 1000 gallons of water to make. stupid.

·
Radio Active Member
27,688 Posts
Currently the law allows up to 10% of ethanol in regular gas. But I read that it has passed or they are trying to pass up to 15% ethanol is fuels by 2012. :dontknow:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use the Sta-Bil Marine in every gas powered engine I own from the weed whacker to my truck and everything in between. I've never seen E10 free gas, but I'd like to get my hands on some. The website shows 1 station in NH, but it's waaay up there!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I use Seafoam in every other tank full or so. I was asking my service manager about it and he told me it takes the ethanol out of the gas, makes it inert or something like that. All is I know my bike idles & runs better with it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
:agree:

Seafoam is a great additive, I always add some after a long ride too. Sometimes you can't pick your gas station and just have to pump what they have. A bottle of seafoam is only about $3.00, 6800 miles and I still have a clean fuel filter...something must be working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts