M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to how many have had problem with the gas gauge. I have noticed since day one that my gas gauge will indicate full or near full then next thing you know it is flashing for a refuel. I have seen at least on other person reporting a similar problem, just curious to whether or not it is a small percentage or larger.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
It does take a while for that first bar to drop (90-125 miles). Then I think every 15-20 miles another bar drops. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is anyone else pissed after the first bar drops!! I just hope someday it'll wait til about 150 miles b4 it goes away!

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
But if you did that, you would not have as much fun ridding this bike. If I wanted millage, I would have bought a moped.

·
Registered
817 Posts
rynosback said:
It does take a while for that first bar to drop (90-125 miles). Then I think every 15-20 miles another bar drops. Hope that helps.
I've noticed this too. The original Volusias that had gas gauges were similar -- the float didn't really work until you were below halk a tank. Once they went to FI for the Boulevard (C50), they got rid of the float altogether, as there wasn't enough room for it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
There is still a float in this set up. It is on page 6-7 in the service manual. But this shape of a tank is extremely hard to gauge, plus there are tolerances like in our speedo.

·
Registered
817 Posts
rynosback said:
There is still a float in this set up. It is on page 6-7 in the service manual. But this shape of a tank is extremely hard to gauge, plus there are tolerances like in our speedo.
Yes, of course there is a float in the 109, could not have a gas gauge without one. I meant to specify there is no longer a float in the 50 models (there was one when it was carbs though).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, mine does it too. Last tank I noticed that it dropped down to 2 from 4, but then popped back up to 3 for a very short while. Guess I'll just ignore it until I see the light flashing....

·
Registered
817 Posts
Wildracing22 said:
Do you guys think that maybe the float is sticking? I will show near full than BAM empty.
No. I just think that there is not much room for the float to "float" when the tank is full. It takes up some room on its own, so the level needs to go down some before it can work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I filled up last night with 135 miles on the tank - gas gauge said "FULL". I reset the tripometer after every fill up. On my last tank of gas, there was 100 miles on the tank and it read 3/4 full. I was riding to the gas station and the fuel gauge went back to reading FULL (before fill up). I said to myself "Self, that was wierd." I thought about bringing it in to get it looked at but that takes away from riding :D

If it continues to be a pain in the arse, I will take it in. My atv is the same way, reads Full until you get to the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I get about 200 miles out of one tank. That is if I kind of cruise instead of hotrod. Well maybe a little hotrodding, but still get about 40 miles to a gal. But I agree the gauge is erratic... ;)

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
200 miles or kilometers? I've been 170 miles and it was on fumes starting to die when i pulled in for gas. That's 42/43 miles per gallon. Average for mine is about 155 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I think 200 miles would have it sucking air, I get 155-160 miles until the first warning and if I fill up right then it takes 4 gallons. calculated mileage is around 39mpg, not bad on a bike this big and during break in when it's tight and I am constantly varying rpm, slowing down then rolling into it plus most of it has been in traffic back and forth to work. I think once broke in and cruising it might be in the mid 40's. my gas gauge seems pretty normal except for the longer time to drop the first bar but better than some gas gauges on bikes I have had.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I truly think the gas gauge on my 109 is a novelty and not a accurate divice for measuring gas reserves. Knowing that it has never come close in registering the correct amount of fuel left in the tank, I've come to rely on one of the trip meters. I top the tank off, set the trip meter to zero and whenever I hit 80 to 100 miles I stop fuel up and restart the process.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My gauge is fairly accurate, although I always run 175 miles and then refill but I was thinking (for a change).... I have seen how delicate the float system is and if we think about it most of you run from 0 to 130 in like to seconds, popping wheelies, burnouts even sleeping in the darn tank. With so much torque and the take off we all do at every green light; would you expect for the gauge to be some how damage? :evil:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Latinbid said:
My gauge is fairly accurate, although I always run 175 miles and then refill but I was thinking (for a change).... I have seen how delicate the float system is and if we think about it most of you run from 0 to 130 in like to seconds, popping wheelies, burnouts even sleeping in the darn tank. With so much torque and the take off we all do at every green light; would you expect for the gauge to be some how damage?  :evil:
I don't think it's damage as much as it is all the sloshing around of the gas within the tank when leaning into corners, resting the bike on the kickstand etc. I've seen mechanical gauges on Harley tanks i.e. Street Bob's etc. and when you talk to the owners they claim they are accurate. I guess that doesn't say too much for Suzuki's electronics when it comes to gas gauge accuracy IMHO :redfaced: :redfaced: :redfaced:

·
Registered
750 Posts
BlkM109r said:
200 miles or kilometers? I've been 170 miles and it was on fumes starting to die when i pulled in for gas. That's 42/43 miles per gallon. Average for mine is about 155 miles on a tank.
200 miles. I try not to show off to much, Run at least 90 octane and try to squeez as much fuel in there as possible. I usually ride it right away so the fuel does not last long. I have to make it last to get where I live from work. Right here in the bay area the price of gas is around 3.50 to 4 bucks a gallon. I have it closer to 3 bucks a gollon about 47 miles inland and make 2 full trips before I need to fill her up. I really start looking for gas when the fuel light does not blink anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts