M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Got my 2009 C109r a couple of weeks ago. During the "break in" period I have noticed an annoying tendency for the engine to "surge." It isn't limited to any specific speed.

My dealer says the computer shows the engine is running fine and hasn't had any error codes.

Has anyone else had this issue with their bike when it was new?

Thanks,

CruisinRev

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's so much torque in this motor that you can feel every piston stroke, especially at low rpm's. Also, the slightest movement of the throttle will accelerate or decelerate. Takes a bit of getting used to. Other than that, didn't notice bike surging that wasn't actually my fault.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah what he said ! :agree::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
729 Posts
There are a lot of threads devoted to engine surging on this site, if you do a search. Four things I did to help:

1) Adjust throttle cable play. Mine had way too much play when I bought it. Surging would cause me to unintentionally twist the throttle in the slop zone which just compounded the issue.

2) Install a timing retard eliminator. It will trick the computer into using the 4th gear timing map timing for gears 1-3.

3) Install a fuel processor. Playing with the mixture has helped some people here.

4) Install a Thottleboss. It allows you to relax your grip a little so the bucking of the bike doesn't translate into more throttle motion.

.....and what they said above. You get used to it after awhile.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I Got my 2009 C109r a couple of weeks ago. During the "break in" period I have noticed an annoying tendency for the engine to "surge." It isn't limited to any specific speed.

My dealer says the computer shows the engine is running fine and hasn't had any error codes.

Has anyone else had this issue with their bike when it was new?

Thanks,

CruisinRev
The answer is yes. A stock C109R will do that. The fix is richening up the fuel mix in the cruise mode. The bike is programmed to run lean for emissions and mpg's. The power to weight is such the surging is not dampened as it is on autos. I installed a Bully Controller, set it on Stage 1 and all was gone. The TRE is a great addition, but won't fix the leanness, it simply tells the computer you are in 4th gear, you regain the power lost by the retarded timing (which is very noticable).

There is nothig wrong with the bike and the dealers can't fix this, but you can very easily.

·
Registered
45 Posts
:agree:I'm going to tell you the same as everyone else. You will get used to the character of this bike as you ride it as it does have unreal torque. I installed a TRE, Bully processor and 3" Hard Krome Straights. I have my processor set for stage 2 and it makes a BIG difference in the runnability of the bike, not to mention more power, as if this bike needs it!

G

·
Bottom line is that this bike DOES have surge issues in several areas when stock. These bikes are tuned VERY lean from the factory for emissions and fuel mileage reasons. A TRE device will have a positive effect (while also making the bike more sensitive to lower octane) but it will not (read 'can not') correct a lean condition. The only thing that will correct your lean condition(s) is adding fuel to the problem areas.

There are several fuel injection controllers on the market for this bike. The one I selected is the Bully Controller which corrects the lean conditions (for the most part) right out of the box. The stage one settings were aimed specifically at solving this problem for stock (or near stock) C109R and RTs and they are pretty much spot on. It also made the bike pull right up to the limiter rather than going somewhat flat from mid to top. I have no doubt that the stage 2 and 3 settings will be just as good as I upgrade the exhaust and intake. The fact that you can make fine adjustments for fuel mileage/performance/ride-ability on the fly is a nice bonus.

I have used Power Commanders on several sport bikes in the past (PC1 to current) because I was always trying to extract every ounce of power IN ADDITION to improving ride-ability. They no doubt have their place. Since I bought an 800+ lb cruiser this time, the return on investment for the potential of an extra hp or ft lb here or there that you might get from the Power Commander (and dyno tuning) over the Bully Controller did not make sense.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I Installed a TRE which made the bike faster in the first 3 gears but didn't fix the surge. Installed cobra pipes which made the surge worse. About a week ago I installed FI2000 fuel manager and this fixed the surge. Problem is not enough fuel at low rpm's/speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dealer fixed the surge

I de-baffled my 2008 C109r last summer and got the surge issue witch then became worse this summer, but my dealer fixed it.

Problem is not enough fuel at low rpm's/speeds and they richend up the fuel mixture about 2-3% in the lower rpm's and that really fixed it.
The surge is gone and it feels stronger and I can leave the JSD off (it did dampen the surge a bit) and enjoy the heavier sound caused by the retarded timing in the first 3 gears.
I payed the equivalence of83 $ for that measure and the only drawback is more insects between my teeth because of my big smile.

If you don't want to invest in a fuel injection controller just tell your dealer that he has to correct the lean condition causing the "surge" and tell him you know it can be done.

Usidon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the great information on this issue. It was great to hear that this is a normal issue for a bike with tons of torque!

Just did my 600 mile servicing at my dealer.

I had a M109R for four years before buying the "C".

I absolutely love this bike. Much more comfortable to ride than the M.

CruisinRev

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for all the great information on this issue. It was great to hear that this is a normal issue for a bike with tons of torque!

CruisinRev
Enjoy!

It's a powerful bike and can be made even more powerful, easily, when you get the urge.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

G

·
Surge fixed with Bully.

My 2 cents - I had the surge at low speed cruising right from the start also, and Setting #1 with the Bully fixed it.

I leave my TRE off (GIPro) and just use the Gear Indicator because it didn't help the surge - just made the bike even faster in 1st 3 gears, which is too much for memost of the time. I like being able to turn the TRE off or on.

My experience with the dealer so far has been like everyone else. I bought the service contract so I have to use themto get my money's worth, but they don't have a clue about this bike and deny everything.

Ride On!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gman Tre smoothed out gears 1-3 for me.... I have not added intakes or FI controller as yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts