M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am not an owner yet. I am going tomorrow to look at some, kinda explains why I am up so late and having a hard time getting to sleep. I currently have a Vmax and at 75mph i am running at 5500 rpm's and the bike is just screaming down the highway. I am not a big fan of this and is why I am looking for a new bike after just having the vmax for a few months. I am not sure if this is common with the 5speed's or what, but I am really concerned about this engine speed and road speed. I travel daily down the hwy at 75 so want a bike that runs that speed well and easy for miles on end. Not to concerned about the rpm's while getting up to speed, cause thats the fun part, moreso the traveling speed which for me is 75mph.
Also any other concerns I should remember when going to buy, cause I dont know that I will be able to pass the bike up once I sit on it. I just love the look and style of it.

Thanks and thanks for all yall's help to a new owner after tomorrow most likely.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
ckostner said:
Hey all, I am not an owner yet. I am going tomorrow to look at some, kinda explains why I am up so late and having a hard time getting to sleep. I currently have a Vmax and at 75mph i am running at 5500 rpm's and the bike is just screaming down the highway. I am not a big fan of this and is why I am looking for a new bike after just having the vmax for a few months. I am not sure if this is common with the 5speed's or what, but I am really concerned about this engine speed and road speed. I travel daily down the hwy at 75 so want a bike that runs that speed well and easy for miles on end. Not to concerned about the rpm's while getting up to speed, cause thats the fun part, moreso the traveling speed which for me is 75mph.Â
Also any other concerns I should remember when going to buy, cause I dont know that I will be able to pass the bike up once I sit on it. I just love the look and style of it.Â

Thanks and thanks for all yall's help to a new owner after tomorrow most likely.Â
At 75 mph you should be right around 3500rpm. And after you have broken her in and change to synthetic she might even run lower. All I can say is step up to the plate and have fun doing it. This is an awesome bike! And she only gets better. Good luck.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The bike will put you to sleep at 75. In fact, on the highway I sometimes forget to shift it up to 5th.  :D

Like Ryno said... about 3300 to 3500 at that speed. A little higher than some, but this bike definitely doesn't like to be ridden under 3000 anyway. The bike runs smoothest at about 4000.

·
Registered
260 Posts
ckostner said:
Hey all, I am not an owner yet. I am going tomorrow to look at some, kinda explains why I am up so late and having a hard time getting to sleep. I currently have a Vmax and at 75mph i am running at 5500 rpm's and the bike is just screaming down the highway. I am not a big fan of this and is why I am looking for a new bike after just having the vmax for a few months. I am not sure if this is common with the 5speed's or what, but I am really concerned about this engine speed and road speed. I travel daily down the hwy at 75 so want a bike that runs that speed well and easy for miles on end. Not to concerned about the rpm's while getting up to speed, cause thats the fun part, moreso the traveling speed which for me is 75mph.Â
Also any other concerns I should remember when going to buy, cause I dont know that I will be able to pass the bike up once I sit on it. I just love the look and style of it.Â

Thanks and thanks for all yall's help to a new owner after tomorrow most likely.Â
this is what u need dude http://www.rmsportmax.com/gearing.html
i just sold my vmax to get the 109 and i had this rear on my bike matter of fact the pic used is of my bike
Bruce

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I was considering doing that rearend swap, but I figured it alot easier to just sell it and buy a new one, especially this 109. I am goin today to see if I can talk a dealer out of one.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i think they geared this bike at 70 mph on the peak torque point (3200 rpm) for a reason. that's a typical cruising speed, so they give you the best throttle control there.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This bike is smooth at 75 but you will be finding a new speed because the bike likes 80 even better this bike is different than most bike i have rode i dont think you will be un happy with how this bike run

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wanted said:
The bike will put you to sleep at 75. In fact, on the highway I sometimes forget to shift it up to 5th. :D

Like Ryno said... about 3300 to 3500 at that speed. A little higher than some, but this bike definitely doesn't like to be ridden under 3000 anyway. The bike runs smoothest at about 4000.
True Story!! I've forgotten to shift into 5th several times. This bike rides, looks, sounds awesome and you won't be disappointed! Just DO IT!! :bigthumbsup: Burple is B-E-A-UTIFUL!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
rynosback said:
At 75 mph you should be right around 3500rpm. And after you have broken her in and change to synthetic she might even run lower. All I can say is step up to the plate and have fun doing it. This is an awesome bike! And she only gets better. Good luck.
Gearing is gearing..Changing oil type will NOT alter your rpm at a given road speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
granted rpm speed and gearing is gearing. If I didnt experience it myself I would of not believed it as well. But It acually did drop a couple hundred rpm's. NEVERTHELESS< <<<<<< I got my 109 today and love it. A 60 mile ride home in the rain wasnt that fun, but I just couldnt stand to leave the bike there till tomorrow, so I braved the rain and the bike is awesome. ABSOLUTELY awesome. Had my bro-in-law over just now, and we been sittin in the garage the last 2 hours just looking the bike over and he was in awe. Too bad he is a harly guy and he loves this one now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts