M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For one reason or another, my dealer wants the oil they use in my 9 to be a mystery to me because when asked what oil to top off with, they looked at me funny and said "Any oil that meets specification." I used to use Suzuki performance 4 oil in my Volusia before I sold it. Any recommendations for Dino oil for the 9. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I wouldn't let the dealer touch my oil. I've heard way too many horror stories about them overfilling. When I change my oil and filter I add 3.8 qts and do a cold check every so often. Other than that, I don't worry about it....

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
Funny thing, do a search on keyword "oil" and nothing comes up. I think that search-string is banned!
It won't search for anything with 3 characters or less, it would have too many hits that don't mean anything. Put in something like oil* if you have 3 characters. Or *oil*. The asterisk is just a placeholder.

·
Registered
115 Posts
oil

I asked my dealer the same question, about oil. they told me th 4cycle performance 10w40 is wht the have in bulk. I used the vtwin oil which is suzuki's syntheic blend in my C50, I'm thinking of using it my C109.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
For one reason or another, my dealer wants the oil they use in my 9 to be a mystery to me because when asked what oil to top off with, they looked at me funny and said "Any oil that meets specification." I used to use Suzuki performance 4 oil in my Volusia before I sold it. Any recommendations for Dino oil for the 9. Thanks in advance.
Just use the suzuki oil (the cheap stuff) and change it when its time.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I love when people with spend thousands of dollars on mods, but go cheap on oil. Makes NO FRIGGIN SENSE!!!:-\
you have proof that the cheap suzuki oil doesn't give overall good engine protection? I love it when people spend thousands of dollars on mods and think they have to spend more on oil.

·
Registered
281 Posts
you have proof that the cheap suzuki oil doesn't give overall good engine protection? I love it when people spend thousands of dollars on mods and think they have to spend more on oil.
I second that! Hink, How is suzuki oil cheap oil???? It meets or exceeds the standard as specified by the owners / service manual. So, what's cheap about it?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Any recommendations for Dino oil for the 9. Thanks in advance.
Yeah, "don't". Go full synthetic of any kind (it's just a superior lubricant)
JMHO

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I second that! Hink, How is suzuki oil cheap oil???? It meets or exceeds the standard as specified by the owners / service manual. So, what's cheap about it?
http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chan.../mineral-petrolium-oil-compared-to-synthetic/

Here you go. Also, ask some of the guys who put real miles on their bike. Ask them which oil their bike runs and shifts better with. I stand behind my statement. But, it isn't my bike, do whatever you wish!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Synthetic oil...

Hey,
Just weighing in my two pennies... Be sure when you use "just any full synthetic" of any kind because it is such a superior lubricant, USE THE RECOMMENDED ADDITIVES... If you buy something like the new Castrol from the "think with your dipstick, Jimmy..." commercial, you will soon find that it doesn't contain the proper additives, especially the one that is to be used with our WET CLUTCH system...

From the M109R manual...

Oil quality is a major contributor to your engine's performance and life. Always select good quality engine oil.
Suzuki recommends the use of SUZUKI PERFORMANCE 4 MOTOR OIL or equivalent engine oil. Use of API SF/SG or SH/SJ with JASO MA.

Protect that clutch, man. We have way too much shaking, surging and clutch failures on our bikes. I found that when I was looking for the right synthetic, almost all of the automotive oils that you find at your Walmart and even your well stocked automotive supply houses don't have the additives needed... I found that the new (think with your dipstick, Jimmy) Castrol was lacking the additives, but the regular Syntec and the normal Castrol GTX oil did have them... Shop carefully and look for that API SF/SG or SH/SJ...

Then get out and ride!!!

Have a good one,

Randy

·
Registered
28 Posts
more about synthetics...

Oh by the way,
I forgot to add in my previous post... I have used only premium synthetic oils in my bike since I have had it. I have used Amsoil, Royal Purple, and the Castrol Syntec... Listen to Hink... I have almost 33,000 miles on my 2007 LE. I change the oil and filter about every 4,000 to 5,000 miles, just as it gets to be a shade or two darker than the original burn in color. (you know, do the oil change, run the bike and let it warm up. Then add to the level required. Check that color, change when just a bit darker, but don't wait until BLACK)... I have the original clutch still in, but am about to install the Cycle House Clutch. It shudders a bit, but still pulls well... Hope all of you have as much luck, driven by aggressive servicing, as I have enjoyed with mine...

Randy

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You're right, any full synthetic for motorcycles. Forgot to mention that

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts