M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a lot of you fellow 109 owners modifying your bikes with different chips, air cleaner, pipes, etc. What are the implications of these mods as far as the warranty is concerned?

I would think Suzuki will not cover any engine related malfunction on the bike if you bring in your bike to the dealer for service with any mods.

Also, here in California, the smog checks are very strict for cars. Will my California 109 fail a smog check when I have to renew it if I make any of the engine mods? Right now I am only interested in doing that air cleaner mod.

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but I am new to the bike world as this is my first bike.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
This conversation happens all the time.

Suzuki cannot tell you what you can and cant do to your bike. They can try and freighten you into doing things their way but thats all.
There is some law/act (whacky name I cant remember) That basically states the burden of proof is on them to show your mods caused the failure.

Say you put on new pipes and air cleaners.... then something happens internally. If you had adjusted the machine to still run correctly with the correct air/fuel ratio it should not have hurt the engine. They will have to prove it did.
That being said, they could slow down the repairs tremenduously (in my case only a little since they are so slow already :D ) But in the end if they cannot prove it they will have to fix it under warranty.
Many aftermarket companies will stand behind you and their product.

A good dealer will even put pipes on for you and stuff because they make $$ and can charge to adjust the fuel too. I dont have one of those dealers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts