M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There out !!! :bigthumbsup: :hot: :clap2: Saddlebags are out also, but no mounts yet. Was told shouold have the mounts this Tuesday.

I just have this sitting on top of the exhaust to take the picture

·
Registered
775 Posts
Re: Engine guards

i bought the only pair of guards that my dealer got today. they called me and told me they had arrived , i did about 90 to get there. i already love them. what are the little lights on the low point of you fork?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Those are some small 55watt fog lights I keep them on all the time. Makes a big diff. Cagers really notice them. :D

G

·

Lookin good man! I'm torn between those and the Hepco's... I have plenty of time to be torn though... $$$

G

·

Great pix. Thanks. I am stilling waiting for my crash bars, but hopefully soon. How was the install?? Easy - tough?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Not that easy. You have to move the gas tank back, Take the top shields off that are around the top of the fork and then take the front shroud off. I think it could be done without taking the shroud completely off by just loosening and popping it apart on top. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: The reason for them wanting the shroud completely off is so you can put a scissor jack under the motor mounts. I did it by the directions, but I really do not think it was necessary. The scissor jack is more of a precaution I think. :dontknow: :read:

Bob

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

What are those guards supposed to protect? The don't even stick out far enough to prevent your leg from getting crushed if you laid it down while riding. Besides, my bike has rolled off the stand and no engine damage was done at all. The tank sticks out far enough to prevent the engine from hitting anything. I guess I just don't understand the purpose for bars that stick out so little.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

Medic1210 said:
What are those guards supposed to protect? The don't even stick out far enough to prevent your leg from getting crushed if you laid it down while riding. Besides, my bike has rolled off the stand and no engine damage was done at all. The tank sticks out far enough to prevent the engine from hitting anything. I guess I just don't understand the purpose for bars that stick out so little.
That was my thought too..have you tried lying the bike over to see what protection they offer?
They do look good though! Even if they took some of the load, if the bike dropped of the stand, it would be great.

·
Registered
172 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat as dynamos2000. I'm torn between the better looking Suzuki version and the better functioning Hepcos. Not to mention the Hepcos are a way easier install. :eek:

Ric

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Other than looks, the only thing these are good for is to mount some highway pegs on. They have a diameter of 1.5". I'm not about to try laying this bike down to see how much protection it gives, but I think none!! :bigthumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
401 Posts

Just put mine on day before yesterday, the install is fun :edit: I am not even sure you can mount pegs on these for comfort. I'm 6'2 and it is a reach. Your boot hits the shifter, mine does any way. And on install the bottom bolt on the left is fun, screw it in then pond it in and then screw it again, Not Joking. I didn't bother with the jack stand and just loosened up the front. Dang I hope they grow on me because I don't want to take them back off. If you have not had your level of frustration and anger for the day I would recomend this mod. Oh P.S. I thought I would take off the spark plug covers close to wear you mount it just in case, well they can't be put on or taken off with these in Place. So you guessed it I had to take them back off to get them on, Lovely Day. I have came to the conclusion I am wrapped to tight to work on Bikes.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

BearCom said:
Just put mine on day before yesterday, the install is fun :edit: I am not even sure you can mount pegs on these for comfort. I'm 6'2 and it is a reach. Your boot hits the shifter, mine does any way. And on install the bottom bolt on the left is fun, screw it in then pond it in and then screw it again, Not Joking. I didn't bother with the jack stand and just loosened up the front. Dang I hope they grow on me because I don't want to take them back off. If you have not had your level of frustration and anger for the day I would recomend this mod. Oh P.S. I thought I would take off the spark plug covers close to wear you mount it just in case, well they can't be put on or taken off with these in Place. So you guessed it I had to take them back off to get them on, Lovely Day. I have came to the conclusion I am wrapped to tight to work on Bikes.
Sounds like my ordeal when installing my lowering bones. Seized bolts are always fun when you have next to no room to work and can only use 8" crescent wrenches. :edit:

·
Registered
679 Posts

Can anyone confirm that the OD of the highway bars is 1.5 inches? Just curious about mounting pegs on them. I agree that is about the only use for them as they don't go out far enough to protect much in a fall, but I like the look and really want some highway pegs (6' 7")

Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are the saddlebags:

For me, these do not look right on this bike. I will be taking these off and only use them when absolutely necessary.

Bob, :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have the Cortech sport bags for mine, but like you said they only go one when I need them. Those look about the same as the Cortech just leather instead of nylon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts