M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to lay my bike down a few weeks ago and dented my tank. I'm on my third week waiting for a new tank and I'm thinking "I don't want to do this again."

Do engine guards protect your tank if you have to lay down your bike? How about freeway bars?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
i have been down three times....the handle bars are what dent your tank...

Not sure the engine guards help at all with tank protection. They might protect the engine, but that depends on how hard you hit the concrete. Each time, my bikes bars and foot pegs or exhaust kept the engine from hitting the ground.

Get engine guards for looks and for highway pegs. But not for tank protection.

cheers....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Will not help if going at highway speed. It will help if it tips over. If going moderate speed, its gonna bend and do more damage. Speaking from experience. Also the bike is big enough, now imagine it with highway bars.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
yea Engiine Guards Work !!!
,there are many storys on here to back me up :bigthumbsup:
:agree: Many people have stated the the Suzuki OEM engine guards saved there tank. Plus I think they are the best looking ones out there.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
It depends on how hard you drop it. If it goes down in a slide the guards might protect the tank. If it flips over hard on the side they aren't going to protect it. I was dismounting, put my foot down on a rock and at the same time caught my leg on the driver's backrest, and it went over. No damage at all, but the aftermarket kickstand and front peg mounts actually caught it. I don't think it touched the engine guards at all.

The one thing they may help with is punching a hole in the magneto cover with the shift arm, which happens to some when they go down.

I have the Suzuki guards, I like the looks and for whatever protection they offer.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine gaurds just protect the engine. Here some good advice, don't drop it again. I dropped mine a week after i got it, so after waiting for 3 weeks for it to get fix, i live by that motto now
Sound advice. Don't drop the bike. Check.:doh:
My bike's been in the shop for three weeks now so I know you have felt my pain. The only good news is I cracked a bone in my leg and can't ride anyway for another 17 days. At this rate I'll get the bike back just in time to ride again.

I do like the look of the engine guards and I'll probably eventually get them but now it isn't as urgent.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Crash Bars are like Plastic Furniture Covers:eek:

Some people like the look............and some people wonder why!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny! I never thought of it that way before.I grew up with plastic on my furniture and hated it.Now when I see a bike with crash bars I'm going to think about my grandmother's house. Oh well, time for more therapy.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Bujee 1
I have the Suzuki OEM engine guards. I agree with Rynosback about the OEM Guards looking the best. I have Cruising pege on mine. Just this weekend, I rode 4 hours to meet my family in Houston, I met my wife & kids at the hotel to follow them out to the soccer field. I stopped my bike on a flat surface but the front wheel was on a slight down slope. I got off to say hello. The bike idiling & its weight pulled it forward and fell over. The only damage was the little ball on the clutch leaver broke off, scratched the top of my mirror. & took a little chrome off plastic rear turn signal. ( Mirrors are no problem as I was getting new Skythe mirrors :)
If I did not have those guards, I can guarantee the damage would of been much worse & I would of had a damaged tank. I was able to pick it up ride to the fields & ride home. If you are cruising, no bars will help, the weight of the bike will do the damage.

In all the years I have ridden, this was the first & hopefully the last time I do something that :edit: stupid.

·
Registered
93 Posts
:agree: Many people have stated the the Suzuki OEM engine guards saved there tank. Plus I think they are the best looking ones out there.
I agree with you on the suzuki bars. I think they look the sweetest and dont take away from the clean lines.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bujee 1
I have the Suzuki OEM engine guards. I agree with Rynosback about the OEM Guards looking the best. I have Cruising pege on mine. Just this weekend, I rode 4 hours to meet my family in Houston, I met my wife & kids at the hotel to follow them out to the soccer field. I stopped my bike on a flat surface but the front wheel was on a slight down slope. I got off to say hello. The bike idiling & its weight pulled it forward and fell over. The only damage was the little ball on the clutch leaver broke off, scratched the top of my mirror. & took a little chrome off plastic rear turn signal. ( Mirrors are no problem as I was getting new Skythe mirrors :)
If I did not have those guards, I can guarantee the damage would of been much worse & I would of had a damaged tank. I was able to pick it up ride to the fields & ride home. If you are cruising, no bars will help, the weight of the bike will do the damage.

In all the years I have ridden, this was the first & hopefully the last time I do something that :edit: stupid.
Thanks for the story. Sounds like Engine bars are the way to go so long as I'm realistic about expectations. I would be pissed if my bike fell over during my morning warm up and I had to go through this again. I called the dealer again today. Still no sign of my new tank. They have to order it from Japan. It's probably coming over on a raft with a sail made from old sheets.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
your welcome & they are not sailing it over. The one guy in the raft is paddeling it over:cus:

·
Registered
226 Posts
It depends on how hard you drop it. If it goes down in a slide the guards might protect the tank. If it flips over hard on the side they aren't going to protect it. I was dismounting, put my foot down on a rock and at the same time caught my leg on the driver's backrest, and it went over. No damage at all, but the aftermarket kickstand and front peg mounts actually caught it. I don't think it touched the engine guards at all.

The one thing they may help with is punching a hole in the magneto cover with the shift arm, which happens to some when they go down.

I have the Suzuki guards, I like the looks and for whatever protection they offer.
I like the guards you have.Thats the ones I am looking at putting on my bike.
Any suggestions where I can get them for a decent price??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts