M109 Rider Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,770 Posts
I just ordered the OEM ones from eBay. Can I hope it helps if I ever drop it ?
I feel they protect the engine & cases. Also, your legs.

Reactions: snerge

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I’m sure you had the right gear

Yes, the OEM Engine Guards will protect the bike quite well, if it's just a fall over situation, at a standstill/dead stop. But, they won't protect much if the bike is sliding down a street on one side or the other. I apologize for the ambiguity in my previous statement. I should have been more clear and precise with my wording. :)(y)

·
Registered
2020 M109R BOSS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, the OEM Engine Guards will protect the bike quite well, if it's just a fall over situation, at a standstill/dead stop. But, they won't protect much if the bike is sliding down a street on one side or the other. I apologize for the ambiguity in my previous statement. I should have been more clear and precise with my wording. :)(y)
Thanks for clarifying that Judah ! I’ve got insurance in case the bike slides 🙂. I just wanted to make sure they would help in case I drop it while backing/charging it in my trailer. It might give me more confidence moving the bike too. I’m sure they will give a good look to the bike. Plus I got them at a good price on eBay.

Only 20 days till I get my driving license 🤪

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that Judah ! I’ve got insurance in case the bike slides 🙂. I just wanted to make sure they would help in case I drop it while backing/charging it in my trailer. It might give me more confidence moving the bike too. I’m sure they will give a good look to the bike. Plus I got them at a good price on eBay.

Only 20 days till I get my driving license 🤪
Congratulations on getting your Driver's License Snerge. Be safe out there!!! :)(y)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can tell you that if your bikes falls over at 80 MPH on the freeway and slides for a while on the left side all that will get scraped is, the tip of the front fender, the front corner of the headlight housing, the left blinker, clutch lever "ball" on the end, hand grip end, the foot peg and the cast foot peg bracket right where the pin that the foot peg pivots on, the tank right on the logo, rear peg, and if you were lucky enough to put your stock plastic bar end on your rear axle nut, it will slide on that and not hurt the housing for the rear drive. So a crash bar would save half of those I would think.
How do you fasten the bar ends to the rear axle nus?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The stock plastic bar ends slide right into the left rear axle nut. When I put on my new grips you have to take those off. I read somewhere on here that it snaps right on. And it does. After the wreck, I put the other one back in there that was laying around. Excuse the dirt, I have riding a lot lately.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I’m sure you had the right gear

They will help if you were to drop it, while it is at a dead stop, or if it were parked somewhere. I love the OEM Engine Guards, because they look awesome, and they do provide a level of protection to the bike, in the event that it falls over for some reason.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The stock plastic bar ends slide right into the left rear axle nut. When I put on my new grips you have to take those off. I read somewhere on here that it snaps right on. And it does. After the wreck, I put the other one back in there that was laying around. Excuse the dirt, I have riding a lot lately.

View attachment 419337
I'll have to give that a try. I have a couple, if not more laying around somewhere!

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
For someone that has the OEM guards, they do work. On "2" occasions, I was taking the bike off of my jack and I thought I had left the kickstand down. As I started to lower the bike over on the left...you know that feeling that the kickstand is suppose to be there at that certain lean angle......Weelllll, nope the kickstand wasn't down. And once it got to a certain point there was no pulling it back up right. I ended up letting it down softly and the bike rested on the engine guard and I was able to go around to the other side and pick it back upright with no damage...Remember I did this twice.....never said I was bright.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts