M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been moving/parking my 9 in my gravel driveway and I definitely see the need for engine guards because I’m pretty sure it’s not a question of if but when I drop it. Plus I’m sure it will help backing the beast.

What do you recommend ? Should I go with the Suzuki ones or there are better ones out there ?

thanks for everyone’s input

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have been moving/parking my 9 in my gravel driveway and I definitely see the need for engine guards because I’m pretty sure it’s not a question of if but when I drop it. Plus I’m sure it will help backing the beast.

What do you recommend ? Should I go with the Suzuki ones or there are better ones out there ?

thanks for everyone’s input
Most members here, and I, believe OEM Suzukis are most eyepleasing with sufficient protection at the same time.
How it will help you backing the bike? If I may ask?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How it will help you backing the bike? If I may ask?
Can you hold on to it to help you pull the bike ? My motorcycle teacher told me he uses his to help him back his big Harley.

I will look for pictures of bikes with the OEM ones.

thanks for your input !

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Can you hold on to it to help you pull the bike ? My motorcycle teacher told me he uses his to help him back his big Harley.

I will look for pictures of bikes with the OEM ones.

thanks for your input !
Sorry, I really failed to see how, unless
he meant Rear Saddlebag Crash Bar.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
That might be it, is there rear crash bar for the 9 ?
Personaly I did not see one, not in Ontario (I lived there for many years),
nor here in Europe. But I think I have seen a picture of one somewhere,
try Google it...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Suzuki crash bars. High quality. Look great to me. If the bike falls to the opposite side of the kick stand, I think it will help prevent damage if the front wheel is also locked. The handle bar sticks out and holds some things off the ground. I haven't seen my own bike on the ground yet, but who knows.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the Suzuki crash bars. High quality. Look great to me. If the bike falls to the opposite side of the kick stand, I think it will help prevent damage if the front wheel is also locked. The handle bar sticks out and holds some things off the ground. I haven't seen my own bike on the ground yet, but who knows.
Thanks for your input Zuk, greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can tell you that if your bikes falls over at 80 MPH on the freeway and slides for a while on the left side all that will get scraped is, the tip of the front fender, the front corner of the headlight housing, the left blinker, clutch lever "ball" on the end, hand grip end, the foot peg and the cast foot peg bracket right where the pin that the foot peg pivots on, the tank right on the logo, rear peg, and if you were lucky enough to put your stock plastic bar end on your rear axle nut, it will slide on that and not hurt the housing for the rear drive. So a crash bar would save half of those I would think.

·
Registered
2019 M109R
23 Posts
I can tell you that if your bikes falls over at 80 MPH on the freeway and slides for a while on the left side all that will get scraped is, the tip of the front fender, the front corner of the headlight housing, the left blinker, clutch lever "ball" on the end, hand grip end, the foot peg and the cast foot peg bracket right where the pin that the foot peg pivots on, the tank right on the logo, rear peg, and if you were lucky enough to put your stock plastic bar end on your rear axle nut, it will slide on that and not hurt the housing for the rear drive. So a crash bar would save half of those I would think.
Oddly specific...almost as if he speaks from experience...

Alternately, shield your bike with your body...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oddly specific...almost as if he speaks from experience...
Exactly my thought lol.

thanks to StuporDave for testing it out for us 🤣. Just kidding, glad you are safe !

Ideally I will never have to experience them !

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
At ~ 50 MPH with the Suzuki crash bars, it got my tank & cowl too. LOTS of superficial damage.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I have had four sets of the Suzuki OEM M109R Engine Guards. I don't think they do a particularly good job of protecting the bike. However, I really like the way they look installed on the bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
32 years riding, first time down. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been.
I’m sure you had the right gear
I have had four sets of the Suzuki OEM M109R Engine Guards. I don't think they do a particularly good job of protecting the bike. However, I really like the way they look installed on the bike.
I just ordered the OEM ones from eBay. Can I hope it helps if I ever drop it ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts