M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those who have installed one. Is it a pain to do or no big deal, Is it a all day job? Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Na its No big Deal , at least the Suzuki One , dont know about the Cobra one
If I remember Right the radiator shroud Had to Be moved and Getting it back was a Learning experience :redfaced:,,,
but over all its not that Hard

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
Yup, if you've never removed the radiator surround that's probably the hardest part. But once you've done it, it's a piece of cake. The instructions that come with the Suzuki bars are pretty good.

Pay attention to the length of the upper bolt on the clutch side. If it comes through the frame too far and hits the water hose that's right behind it, you need to shorten it up a couple threads. Most are OK but some are a little long. Other than that, it's remove and replace bolts.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I didn't take my radiator shroud completely off, just took the top 4 screws out and pulled the top part of the shroud out far enough to get behind it to get the bolts into the guard mount and snapped it back together. I think it took me about 45 minutes to do both sides. Very easy mod.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I took off the radiator shroud, to have no crowding issues. It was no big deal, took less than an hour. Look great, nice and tight(factory bars). They do not disrupt the lines of the bike.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I put on the Suzuki guard and the only problem I had was that I had to bore out two of the mounting holes quite a bit to get the bolts through. I used a reamer to do the job and it worked well. Get them. It is a 2 hour job at the most. BTW, it has saved my bike 2x now (I hate to admit it....:redfaced:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guards

Thanks everyone for your advice, yes I've had the shroud off a few times so NP there, thanks for the pics as well, I think it wont be a problem at all. And it's good to know they actually work NM!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
No problem at all. Mine was sent all the way from the States and with all the correct hardwares, it was done without any problem.;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine took about 2-3 hours. I removed the cowlings completely.

Just remember to install the bolts & washers in the correct sequence. If I recall, the bottom connections to the frame had a 'stand-off' kind of configuration, and if you don't do it right, you'll be putting an unnecessary twist on the bars when you tighten them up.

All worth the effort though. I think they're the best looking engine guards out there.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yup, if you've never removed the radiator surround that's probably the hardest part. But once you've done it, it's a piece of cake. The instructions that come with the Suzuki bars are pretty good.

Pay attention to the length of the upper bolt on the clutch side. If it comes through the frame too far and hits the water hose that's right behind it, you need to shorten it up a couple threads. Most are OK but some are a little long. Other than that, it's remove and replace bolts.
the bolt on the left side of mine was a little long,just ground it down like zoom said. other than that very easy job. just sucks now i have to loosen the right one to get the plugs out of the front cylinder.

·
Registered
434 Posts
ENGINE GUARDS

Does anyone know if this type of engine guard will work with the Thunder Intakes with covers? Anyone running this set up. Let me know. If so, how hard is it to get you filters off to clean. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like the looks of these because they don't stick out TOO far. But do stick out far enough to protect the gas tank too?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
96 Posts
My bike fell over in my driveway with the Suzki engine guards and my tank did get dinged.
Ouch!! Thanks for the info..:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts