M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several weeks now my engine dies when I come to a stop.  It seems to happen when I have half a tank or less of gas.  Has anyone had this problem.  Took to the service dept at my dealership and Suzuki told them to idle the speed up.  I know from 30 years experience riding motorcycles this is not the solution.  It's only masking the problem :cus:

Has anyone had this problem?

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
mine does it sometimes when i first start it up in the morning. Ride out of the drive way to the stop sign leading out of the neighborhood, i pull in the clutch and stop and the bike just idles down and dies. I just figured i hadn't let it warm up enough. It's done it maybe 5 times so far

·
Registered
666 Posts
BlkM109r said:
mine does it sometimes when i first start it up in the morning. Ride out of the drive way to the stop sign leading out of the neighborhood, i pull in the clutch and stop and the bike just idles down and dies. I just figured i hadn't let it warm up enough. It's done it maybe 5 times so far
:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
750 Posts
You might look at your fuel line and make sure that it is not pinched halfway closed anywhere, preventing little fuel flow to the engine at idle speeds.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Next time it happens try opening your fuel cap and see if you get some vacuum. It could be your tank vent. I never had it happen on the 109, but I had the same problem with another bike and it was the tank vent.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
BlkM109r said:
Mine too. ::)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Happend to me, after 6 hours of hard riding in hot weather, engine died when idle, had to throttle it to keep the rpm on 2000 or more.

Ventilated the tank and let the bike cool down, hasn't happend again after that.

Was very suspicious of the JSD (first ride after the mod), but the JSD is innocent I believe.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Noshest said:
Happend to me, after 6 hours of hard riding in hot weather, engine died when idle, had to throttle it to keep the rpm on 2000 or more.

Ventilated the tank and let the bike cool down, hasn't happend again after that.

Was very suspicious of the JSD (first ride after the mod), but the JSD is innocent I believe.
Listen to JR on this one please,........ adjust the idle up a bit. It's not the JSD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree. If anything, in nuetral with the clutch out my jds3m raises the idle a hair. Although when cold, my first stop sign, the bike does idle lower than when warm with the clutch in (i.e. not affected by the JSD). I'm happy with my JSD, JR has a good suggestion.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm getting this all the time now, since it's gotten cooler. Could it be that the bike never completely warms up when riding fast in chilly weather?

Anyway, on anything less than a just filled tank, it cuts off at every stop. Giving it throttle won't help it. I can make it happen with a quick dab on the front brake at any speed under 40mph. It happens almost every time now. I used to practice emergency stops and the bike never cut off.

I will try the idle set screw.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
GTBozak said:
I'm getting this all the time now, since it's gotten cooler. Could it be that the bike never completely warms up when riding fast in chilly weather?

Anyway, on anything less than a just filled tank, it cuts off at every stop. Giving it throttle won't help it. I can make it happen with a quick dab on the front brake at any speed under 40mph. It happens almost every time now. I used to practice emergency stops and the bike never cut off.

I will try the idle set screw.
Before you go tinkering too much, get some good "dry gas" and add some to your next fill up! With the recent drop in temps there may be a possibility you have some moisture in your tank and that will play hell with your motor at idle speeds! You may also want to switch the brand of gas or at least the station where your purchasing your fuel from and see if that has any impact on the idle!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Britt said:
For several weeks now my engine dies when I come to a stop. It seems to happen when I have half a tank or less of gas. Has anyone had this problem. Took to the service dept at my dealership and Suzuki told them to idle the speed up. I know from 30 years experience riding motorcycles this is not the solution. It's only masking the problem :cus:

Has anyone had this problem?
Hey!!! I had the same thing happen to mine and actually posted about it a few weeks ago.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=6748.0

I found that by taking the gas cap off it ran just fine. I haven't ridden it since to test this again but it worked last time. Was gonna talk to my dealer about it, but I've relocated and haven't found a new one that I like yet. Let me know if you find anything else out.Â

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
happended to me oh about 5-8 times during first brake in, but it hasn't happened at all after the second service.

·
Registered
702 Posts
bob109 said:
Before you go tinkering too much, get some good "dry gas" and add some to your next fill up! With the recent drop in temps there may be a possibility you have some moisture in your tank and that will play hell with your motor at idle speeds! You may also want to switch the brand of gas or at least the station where your purchasing your fuel from and see if that has any impact on the idle!
Thanks for the tip Bob.

I didn't do the idle thing yet because I wanted to eliminate other possibilities. When you mentioned gas, I recently started filling up at a sunoco, just because they were selling 94 at the same price as the 92 across the street, but maybe that sunoco fuel has me all fouled up, maybe their gas was watery.

The bike sure is acting weird. Today I was pulling a uturn with extreme lean angle because I was trying to beat a line of slow traffic, and the bike cut off mid turn. It touched onto the peg , maybe even the turn signal before I could get enough grip on the upside bar to yank it back up. Only 27 miles into a new tank of gas.

On another theory, will overfilling the tank create too much vacuum as the fuel is spent causing the cutoffs? I've been filling the tank while sitting on the bike lately and it looks like more gas gets in there that way, but maybe that's not good. I hope it's that or the gas cap thing posted by Joshua109. I think they might be similar issues.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
ya we've read another thread somewhere in regards to the fuel and ya the m was acting up if the octane levels were to high the little owners manual states the highest octane amount, i haven't got it with me but it is helpfull check that out and as for water in the fuel, a little bottle of methalhidrate/gasline antifreeze will dry that up in seconds.

good luck man let us know what goes as you use up your fuel, could be the fuel injectors still needing to seat as you brake it in. hmmm

1 - 20 of 30 Posts